YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hey Ya'll
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-21 5:24 PM (#94639)
Subject: Hey Ya'll

Expert Yogi

Well, I'm sorda back from my adventures. I went on a backcountry/hiking/camping trip last week. It was soooo nice. I got so much sleep. It's amazing how many REM's you can get when your sleeping out in the middle of no where, in nature. We heard lots of owls and coyote's. It was very nice being in that environment. Although....I could of done without the RV people at this one campground, they were hilarious with all their little tinker toys and gadgets, My sister came for a couple of nights. She brought her blow up bed and frame. One night I kept hearing this squeaking noise...it was them, the bed broke and they had to blow it up every 2 hours. I couldn't believe it!! Anyway, I guess I'm old fashioned when it comes to camping.

Then, I took Gyp to camp. He went to live at my son's camp. He is now living on a 200 acre farm with lakes and plenty of pasture. It was a much better arrangement for him and me. It frees up my time. The interesting part was the morning after, we went out to the pasture to see how he was doing. They have a solid white deer living amoungst the horses. He was the cutest little thing...looked almost like a goat.

Now, I'm back home for a short while. If it doesn't cool off soon, I'll be gone again, But first, I'm trying to get this campfire smoke smell out of my clothes!! LOL!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
joscmt
Posted 2007-08-21 5:35 PM (#94641 - in reply to #94639)
Subject: RE: Hey Ya'll

Welcome back Cyndi!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-21 6:44 PM (#94656 - in reply to #94639)

Hi Cyndi, I have to say I think your sister bringing a bed out camping is hilarious. Of course if I had a handbag like Hermione in the last HP book I would probably be lugging lots of extras. Shelly

Posted 2007-08-21 7:08 PM (#94661 - in reply to #94639)

Got any chicken recipies to share?
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-21 7:34 PM (#94664 - in reply to #94661)

Expert Yogi

Sure...here it is BB...just for you. ZB, you're gonna love this one!!! Make sure you're drinking plenty of Guinness while preparing and baking till done,

Here is a chicken recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a stuffing - imagine that! When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

BAKED STUFFED CHICKEN

6-7 lb. baking chicken
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is good.)
1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHERS LOW FAT)

Salt/pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush chicken well with melted butter, salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven. Listen for the popping sounds.

When the chicken's a$$ blows the oven door open and the chicken flies across the room, it is done.

Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-21 7:40 PM (#94665 - in reply to #94656)

Expert Yogi

bstqltmkr - 2007-08-21 6:44 PM

Hi Cyndi, I have to say I think your sister bringing a bed out camping is hilarious.

You have no idea,

Of course if I had a handbag like Hermione in the last HP book I would probably be lugging lots of extras. Shelly

Well, I didn't read the book yet, but...I can just imagine how important a bag like that would be...cause my SUV was slammed packed. Although, even though I threw up the tent and all...I still had backpacking to do. It was nice to have my tent all situated for when I came back...instead of driving back home.

One day me and DD hiked 8.2 miles. 4.1 of those miles acsended over 2,000 feet. It took 6 hours for the entire round trip. It was so incredible. I'm gearing back up to do this one in particular again...just for the thrill of it all. Then there is a 10 mile all day hike that I'm gearing up for as well.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-22 5:52 AM (#94684 - in reply to #94639)

Hey Cyndi, if you want cool, pop over to Britain. We're having the coldest summer in ages!

Glad you had fun.

Fee
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-08-22 7:49 AM (#94687 - in reply to #94684)

Fee, quite a contrast from last summer, eh? My in-laws spent the summer last year in London, taking care of an ailing uncle, with no A/C of course. Heard it was rather brutal, unfortunately.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-22 8:24 AM (#94689 - in reply to #94687)

July last year certainly was. In fact I suspect we're going to have cool summers for at least the next ten years due to my having given in an bought an air-con unit for the bedroom

Fee
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-22 8:49 AM (#94695 - in reply to #94639)

Welcome back Cyndi.

Jonathon

Posted 2007-08-22 8:59 AM (#94698 - in reply to #94639)

cyndi:

cool off? it's crazy cool here--as in, i've been COLD lately and everyone is wearing sweat shirts! and it's been raining constantly since sunday. not bad weather--i love it when it's like this. but it's a bit strange for august!

the chicken recipe sounds nuts. though i'm not sure i want to do that to the oven! LOL

i love camping with just the basics.
tourist
Posted 2007-08-22 9:47 AM (#94715 - in reply to #94698)

Expert Yogi

Cold here, too. I bought a silk summer duvet and haven't even had a chance to use it.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-22 9:48 AM (#94716 - in reply to #94689)

Expert Yogi

Orbilia - 2007-08-22 8:24 AM

July last year certainly was. In fact I suspect we're going to have cool summers for at least the next ten years due to my having given in an bought an air-con unit for the bedroom

Fee

Love it, Love it, Love it, Fee. I did that a few years ago. I hated the noise and got rid of it.

The last 2 years have been more heated than ever here in the mountains. People do not understand....when you clear cut trees, you are asking for trouble. Its so evident here. I've also noticed "new" bugs too. Some, I swear are not in the record books!! Anyway, I can handle it, I'm from Georgia and heat is something I deal with. It's just not fittin' for it to be like this in the mountains though, Besides, Fall is around the corner, this summer never lasts long. I heard Florida is totally miserable. You can't go outside and the bugs are incredible...mosquitoes and no see em's...this was a report from the Jacksonville area. Yuck!

Well, ya'll enjoy your cool weather. Maybe it's a blessing from the God's for me....I can do lots of Hot Yoga - naturally,

Edited by Cyndi 2007-08-22 9:51 AM
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-22 10:39 AM (#94724 - in reply to #94716)

*LOL* Cyndi.

I agree about the noise. My mate, Gary's going to love me.... once I have the work complete on the house, the Hideous Shed at the bottom of my garden's going to be replaced with a yoga studio / party room. The air-con in the bedroom will be there, the venting hole Gary sweated blood over creating will be blocked up and a much quieter, small bore, wall-mounted air-con unit fitted.

It's amazing what sort of bugs you see once you have trees near you. We have some green delta shaped ones that kind of look like a cricket's first cousin that I'd love to know more about. Their name would be a good start :-)

Oh Cyndi, lucky you, I'm so envious of your 'development opportunity' regarding the hot yoga

Fee
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-22 10:24 PM (#94807 - in reply to #94724)

Expert Yogi

Hey Fee,

Your little creature could be what we call a Cicada. Their so cool. If one ever gets into your house, he makes the loudest sound. In fact, you're like, how could something that small make that kind of noise. It's incredible. They are also known as "heat bugs", or "locusts". There are so many varieties of them though.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-23 2:36 AM (#94824 - in reply to #94639)

Good to hear you had such a great time!! I miss hiking and camping around England, even though we used to sometimes be sat (trapped) for days looking out at the rain, wondering when it would stop, making a quick dash to the car and then nearest pub for food and warmth Here it would be too hot the country side isnt as beautiful as Englands, I will have to wait for winter, to see a bit of green.

I have been sleeping on my verranda with a mosquito net around me, its just like camping out, at five I hear the church bells from 2 churches (they were ringing for a whole hour the other morning, as it was a religous festival) then theres the two cockerals, then the bugs you were talking about, like my youngest son very small but very loud. However it is lovely, I can gaze up at the moon and stars at night, and see the sun rise in the morning, I wake up totaly refreshed.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-23 6:20 AM (#94828 - in reply to #94807)

I wonder. I'll give cicada a google later and see if the pics look like what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

Re the camping.... bleuch! I'm a 3 star girl all the way. It's not that I mind getting dirty, I just don't find the hassle cooking, washing, etc a holiday *wry smile*.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2007-08-23 6:22 AM
raquel
Posted 2007-08-23 7:38 AM (#94835 - in reply to #94639)

Its great if youve got young lads, they can run riot making noise and no-one hears or minds, ive only done it for a few days at a time mind, usually in the peak discrict, I like to rough it though, in the middle of a field, up the top of the mountain. Really missing my camping, we will go to pafos next week to camp on the beach, cant wait. Mind you I love hotels too!!
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-23 8:34 AM (#94839 - in reply to #94835)

Don't get me wrong Rachel, I can see the appeal, especially for young families. It just ain't me :-)

Fee
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-23 8:50 AM (#94840 - in reply to #94839)

Expert Yogi

You guys are sooo funny. I know the kind of camping you're talking about Fee. My sister brought all this food and stuff. It would take them hours to cook. Me, I just cook very simple and I don't eat that much. One night I made Quinnoa and Cherries (fresh ones too), and stir fried Cauliflower and Potatoes. That was my dinner. It took less than an hour to prepare. Of course, I had the cauliflower broken into sections and washed beforehand. Another night I had celery, carrots, tofu and scrambled egg, with Rice. Everything was chopped before I left the house. Satyam made this soup for me that lasted a couple of days. He liked the cooking part because it made him feel like he was back home in Nepal. He also left early in the week to go back to work.

In the daytime....it was yogurt, honey and mangoes. How easy is that??
joscmt
Posted 2007-08-23 10:11 AM (#94847 - in reply to #94639)

Fee- I'm with you! I'm not much of a camper- I'll hike all day, swim in lakes, all that outdoorsy stuff- get dirty with the best of them.. but at the end of the day, I like a shower, my slippers, and my bed!

My last camping experience was out at Crystal Mtn in Washington- one of the smaller mtns next to Mt. Ranier. I went with my husband (bf at the time), his bf and that guy's gf. We were all young and party-ers at the time. So, we brought a guitar, a flask of rum, a flask of whisky, a potato, and apple, and a wedge of brie. We did not have water (luckily there was a fresh water pond at the top of the mtn).. no cooking utensils.. but after a 4-mile vertical hike with only booze to drink... let's just say that it was less than ideal. Although, the stars were awesome, and, despite the hunger, it was fun.

But I'll take my hotel anyday!
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-23 11:15 AM (#94852 - in reply to #94847)

I hear you loud and proud Jos!! I want that soak in the tub and straight into freshly laundered sheets put on the bed by someone else :-)

I looked up cicadas but these ain't the bugs I was thinking of. The following may excite the cicada fans amongst you :-)

http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/

My bug looks more like the following picture when seen from above when it's at rest. The 'corners' are actually rounded though. All it's legs are under the bug and the centre ridge is higher than the wing casing edges.They kind of wobble from side to side as they walk too. They put me in mind of what you might get if you crossed a cricket with the stealth bomber as they have the shape of one and the colour of the other.

Edited by Orbilia 2007-08-23 11:22 AM

(My Bug.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments My Bug.jpg (4KB - 59 downloads)

Posted 2007-08-23 1:19 PM (#94865 - in reply to #94639)

looks like a bug we get around here. but they're very small--smaller than the end of my little finger.

Posted 2007-08-23 4:42 PM (#94879 - in reply to #94639)

oh. . .and

"Camping like in my sig line. . ."
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-24 6:55 AM (#94917 - in reply to #94879)

Shoulda mentioned the size, duh! They are usually about the sizer of my pinkie from the nail edge to the first knuckle.

Fee
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)