YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

need suggestions...abdominals
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

raquel
Posted 2007-08-27 12:14 PM (#95159 - in reply to #94559)
Subject: RE: need suggestions...abdominals

bet your bandhas are strong
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-27 1:40 PM (#95172 - in reply to #95159)

They are!

But only for about 5 breath!

We did some cool stuff at a workshop this weekend.

We were doing high lunge with cat/cow stuff. Inhale round and exhale out. He kept saying let you buttocks blossom on exhale.

I odn't know what he mean's about blossoms, but my abs were very sore from this reverse breath. It was very shiva rae. The whole class was, really.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-08-27 1:44 PM (#95175 - in reply to #95172)

Eric, I just tried that reverse cat/cow breathing, and granted I'm standing and not in a lunge, and you know what? It felt like how Pilates feels on my abdominals. Firm from the inside and the outside, kind of an even pressure within the diaphragm (if that makes any sense). Very interesting!
raquel
Posted 2007-08-27 1:51 PM (#95176 - in reply to #94559)

Keep trying this jump through to cross lgs but im nowere near crossing, suppose I should be happy with the jump to wide leg balance that ive discovered I can do for this week, I cant do lotus, maybe thats got something to do with it?

Im sure the strength of my bandhas has improved since my reformer 1 training
TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-27 2:07 PM (#95178 - in reply to #95175)

Yes, I was a little reluctant about doing the breath that way, but it is pretty interesting.

We did cat/cow like that too. I never know with these workshops whether they were good, or my body was just enjoying doing yoga for so many hours.

All this ab stuff is good, but I tend to check out (mentally) when we start doing crunches and pilates stuff in class. I kinda like to be tricked into using my core muscles..if that makes sense..
TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-27 2:09 PM (#95179 - in reply to #95176)

Not sure what you are talking about here?

Buja?
raquel
Posted 2007-08-27 2:13 PM (#95181 - in reply to #94559)

Yes sorry, posted in wrong thread!! bhujapidasana, just cant cross legs!!
TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-27 2:33 PM (#95183 - in reply to #95181)

I thought you were doing this a few threads ago?

Well, yes your hips are going to have to be open to cross the feet. I really don't know Raquel. The whole thing just sort of happened for me. Someone told me to jump into it and I started doing it. Every once in a while you get a freebie, so I try not to over think what my body knows how to do already.

My legs are pretty **** long. I've noticed that the taller people seem to have an easier time with this part, but then you have to curl everything under, which is not easy.

I'd guess that your legs are not high enough on your shoulders..
raquel
Posted 2007-08-27 2:39 PM (#95186 - in reply to #94559)

Yes I thought that could be a reason , my legs are little, im only 5`2 im still surprised I can balance in the first part last time I tried I was nowere near

Posted 2007-08-28 5:29 PM (#95235 - in reply to #95178)

My favorite abs asanas are a) boat sit-ups (lying on your back with with straight legs, feet and shoulders off the floor, and arms extended towards your feet, and from here sit-up with a straight back and straight legs to boat, repeat 10 times) b) Floor eagle (arms and legs same as standing eagle except lying on your back, lift your tailbone and shoulders off the floor and breathe 8-10 breaths, then relax and repeat on other side, always trying to touch your navel to your spine) c) Abs plow (lying flat on back with arms at sides, palms down, slowly lift straight legs up and over to plow before slowly returning to corpse, go as slow as possible, breathing as you go and making sure that there is absolutely no stress on your neck)
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-08-30 6:37 AM (#95346 - in reply to #95172)

TampaEric - 2007-08-27 1:40 PM He kept saying let you buttocks blossom on exhale. I odn't know what he mean's about blossoms, but my abs were very sore from this reverse breath. It was very shiva rae. The whole class was, really.

Eric, who was this workshop with? The blossoming buttocks line is something that John Friend says (I've heard), so it's interesting to me how you're receiving it (the Anusara cuing and all). And was the workshop that you mentioned in the other thread (bent kness in dog, etc.) with the same person? The plot thickens....

TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-30 11:02 AM (#95375 - in reply to #95346)

Yes, the same.

He did say it was from Anusara.

I enjoyed the workshop, but I only went to two parts of it. Roger McKeever is his name. If I had to describe him, I'd say he was fairly young, energetic, and sincere.
He was pretty laid back about the practice.

It left me with some questions. Which is good, I think.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)