YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

can't beat standing sequence
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-20 4:00 PM (#94558)
Subject: can't beat standing sequence

I guess you could play around with the standing sequence and add more to it, but it is perfect for me. The only part I don't really like in the standing sequence is the wide legged bends. Prasaritta Padatanasana A,B,C, and D. I like to add either coming back to samastithi (like Manu teaches) or a full vinyasa (I guess John Scott?). Having A, B, C and D together makes me light headed when I come up. It can be pretty intense sometimes.

Right after Ardha Baddha Padmottanasana my legs open up and my chin goes past my knees on the next uttanasana. I generate so much heat doing the standing sequence too. I've learned to play round with the vinyasa from updog to downdog. Sometimes I like to bend my arms and work my upper body more. At first, say 9 months ago, my arms and shoulders would get really sore. But now I'm starting to feel really good about my upper body strength. I think I"m more "toned" or "buff" now than when I was lifting weights, swimming and playing tennis...

And, it is all from the standing sequence. Transferring weight from low body to upper body. My legs do receive good work too. But, recently I'm starting to feel lighter due to the added strength of the upper body.

Has anyone here ever done the standing sequence 6 times a week? I recommend it..

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-21 12:38 AM (#94588 - in reply to #94558)
Subject: RE: can't beat standing sequence

My first teacher Derek Ireland, added a bind to Parivrtta Parsvakonasana and also added Hanumanasana and Samakonasana after Prasarita Padottanasana A-D.

In the warrior sequence he added Bakasana after Utkatasana and Eka Pada Bakasana after Virabhadrasana 2.

Jonathon
TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-21 8:39 AM (#94602 - in reply to #94588)
Subject: RE: can't beat standing sequence

I think adding postures is great if you are doing the practice just a few times a week. But to do the practice 6 times a week I'm more likely to skip or modify postures.

I can see how adding binding in prasarita podttanasana would be good for the marichis in seated...

Bakasana after utkasana is good too. There's a bend knee handstand there already. But it is only for one vinyasa.

Yes, Eka Pada Bakasana for warriors. I guess you would do both sides, then step back into warrior II and then vinyasa on the last one?

Every blue moon, I do a 5 breath handstand at the end of standing...

And Hanumanasana and Sama...the reason I don't care for them there is that you are suppose be standing. However, yes, because I tend to get light-headed during that part. It might be a good thing for me to try. I think you can call them research postures.. when you add something...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)