YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

teeth and nutrition
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

livingalive
Posted 2007-08-19 2:21 AM (#94415)
Subject: teeth and nutrition

I am looking of all the information i can get my hands on about dental health and nurtition. My son (17 months old) has been diagnosed with neonatal line enamel hyperplasia. The part of his tooth that was developing at the time of birth did not grow in right (the enamel is weak in that place.) My dentist says I have no other choice but to put my son under anesthesia and have a bunch of work done. I would really like to avoid this if possible. any info would be helpful.Thanks

Edited by livingalive 2007-08-19 2:22 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-20 12:29 AM (#94469 - in reply to #94415)
Subject: RE: teeth and nutrition

17 months old in Anaesthesia. Only a lunatic can think of this. Anyway. Just give him good food, NO Sugar. Only Organically grown frutits and veges and mother's fantastic milk if she has. Tell mother also to eat only good food, no sugar, or very little. Fresh fruits and veges, take good care of her health and that of baby.

I think the dentistry is quite advanced in terms of cosmetics and surgery. So, if you decide to use, you can do it later, that is when your son becomes James Bond!

livingalive - 2007-08-19 2:21 AM

I am looking of all the information i can get my hands on about dental health and nurtition. My son (17 months old) has been diagnosed with neonatal line enamel hyperplasia. The part of his tooth that was developing at the time of birth did not grow in right (the enamel is weak in that place.) My dentist says I have no other choice but to put my son under anesthesia and have a bunch of work done. I would really like to avoid this if possible. any info would be helpful.Thanks
tourist
Posted 2007-08-20 10:29 AM (#94505 - in reply to #94415)

Expert Yogi

Laura - really, for damage done already, there is likely nothing that can be done by you that can correct that. Obviously, as Neel says, the work now is to look after the teeth as best you can and protect the adult teeth. Ask around at your local health food store, chiropractor and La Leche League group to find a more sympathetic dentist and get more opinions. And get rid of all bottles and soothers right away. No matter how much you clean them, they introduce a lot of bacteria to the mouth. Sippy cups with water except at meal time. Good luck.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-20 11:54 AM (#94523 - in reply to #94415)

One reason they want to remove decayed baby teeth is because the decay can travel up to the adult teeth as they are developing, and the adult teeth grow in also in bad shape.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-20 3:30 PM (#94552 - in reply to #94523)

Decay is arrested as soon as the best quality lifestyle is taken up, first by the parents, and then only by children.

bstqltmkr - 2007-08-20 11:54 AM

One reason they want to remove decayed baby teeth is because the decay can travel up to the adult teeth as they are developing, and the adult teeth grow in also in bad shape.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-21 10:19 AM (#94612 - in reply to #94415)

Hi Neel, I only mentioned that because sometimes people think it's not a big deal if the baby teeth decay because they will be coming out soon anyway. It's a shame when the adult teeth are ruined.

Shelly
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-21 2:07 PM (#94630 - in reply to #94612)

Oh I see. That is interesting way of thinking.

I also want to add for the original poster: For God's Sake: Please do not expose the child's body parts to X Rays at all.

bstqltmkr - 2007-08-21 10:19 AM

Hi Neel, I only mentioned that because sometimes people think it's not a big deal if the baby teeth decay because they will be coming out soon anyway. It's a shame when the adult teeth are ruined.

Shelly
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-22 9:32 PM (#94795 - in reply to #94630)

Expert Yogi

Hey NB,

I don't know how they do it in India, however, here in the states, you have to wear this heavy drape of a thing that protects you from the radiation when getting x-rays in a dental office. It's quite standard and necessary if you're ever going to get any type of dental work done. Although, you do have to weigh in the pros and cons. I try to stay away from it as much as possible. I also kept my kids from it as much as possible when they were small.

My thing is that I don't attend a dentist office very often, except when necessary. I used the Indian brand Vicco Vajradanti toothpaste and herbal powder, which keeps me OUT of the dental chair for routine cleanings and.....actually, since I've been using this stuff for over 5 years now, it has made my teeth and gums soooo much stronger. I love this product. I was turned onto it by a Punjab Singh friend of ours. I will never use any other dental product.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-22 9:57 PM (#94803 - in reply to #94415)

CB: Same in India. The shield that protects the chest from the x rays of teetch. And, that protects something from the xrays of something else. But the part being xrayed is screwed up. Except in emergency, no xray should be done. And, emergency means either life-death situation such as Bullet stuck in a body part, or IMPOSSIBLE situation such as leg is broken and it must immediately be operated for bones.

However, the xrays are now a days used for convininece of detection. And, even frequently, such as that in the case of dental xrays. The leaking is obvious to other parts. And, the part xrayed gets screwed up.

Yes, Vikko Vajradanti is made from Ayurvedic Plants and is pretty effective. I use one from the Kerala. And, the last time i saw dentist was in 1991.

Actually, any problems with my tooth, when there was, was due to a) sugar b) tea/coffee and c) Refined grains. After reducing these, the problems disappeared with no need to visit the dentist 1991. I do not even know what dentists do now a days, except xrays!!!
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-22 10:16 PM (#94805 - in reply to #94803)

Expert Yogi

Absolutely NB, the sugar and refined grains and junk food is definitely the major culprit of unhealthy teeth and gums. But, I also believe that stress and unhealthy environments also cause the teeth to become weak. In fact, you know I have to mention this...In TCM, the teeth and gums are related to the kidneys. When ones kidney is imbalanced, all the bone problems start to manifest, which includes the teeth and gums. In fact, these usually get affected first and foremost because they are already weak from an unhealthy diet.

I'm not sure where my Vicco comes from, I think it is from South India as well. That powder feels like you're putting dirt in your mouth, But it sure does work wonders.

Oh yea, I had to do x-rays last year when I had an emergency root canal. It hurt like hell...the root canal that is. I never want to do that again, NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!

Posted 2007-08-26 2:47 PM (#95076 - in reply to #94415)

i found vicco toothpaste in NZ--and i used it. it was a good toothpaste. the only trouble was that it had sodium laurel sulfate in it--which isn't good.

i wonder if the local indian market would have vicco powder. . .right now, we use common sense which is a very nice toothpaste, but i like the neem and vicco toothpastes from the indian market better (cept they both have SLS in it!).
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-05 7:44 PM (#95717 - in reply to #95076)

Expert Yogi

Actually, I don't get the "regular-exported quality" version of vicco....I get the other one. Some Indian markets have the Vicco powder or Churna. It's not easy to obtain, but if you do, a bottle will last you forever and it's only about $4.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-06 8:12 AM (#95753 - in reply to #95717)

I agree with this. A toothpaste should not be used over the powdered version. You can get this powder from any Indian or even other Oriental Stores.
Cyndi - 2007-09-05 7:44 PM

Actually, I don't get the "regular-exported quality" version of vicco....I get the other one. Some Indian markets have the Vicco powder or Churna. It's not easy to obtain, but if you do, a bottle will last you forever and it's only about $4.

Posted 2007-09-06 5:30 PM (#95798 - in reply to #94415)

i went to two stores today, and neither had the powder--just the toothpaste. since i needed a new tube anyway (ran out this morning), i got the paste. this version does not have SLS in it.

i went looking for the powder, and even asked for it, but they didn't have any. i'll have to try again in a few weeks.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-06 6:17 PM (#95804 - in reply to #95798)

Expert Yogi

ZB,

The powder is not easy to find and there are reasons for which I am not going to say in public. However, if you can find a Singh operated store, you will find the powder. They may just be out of it right now. Keep checking. It's a Yellow bottle of a thing, with red writing.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-06 6:28 PM (#95806 - in reply to #95798)

Let me know and I can mail you a few of the powder bottles from my friend's shop. (Just for your info: I do not use that particular powder. I use another one from the Kerala. I think it is only a matter of preference.)

zoebird - 2007-09-06 5:30 PM

i went to two stores today, and neither had the powder--just the toothpaste. since i needed a new tube anyway (ran out this morning), i got the paste. this version does not have SLS in it.

i went looking for the powder, and even asked for it, but they didn't have any. i'll have to try again in a few weeks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)