YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Benefits of a wandering mind?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

strazin
Posted 2007-08-17 3:31 PM (#94326)
Subject: Benefits of a wandering mind?

Could there be any benefits of a wandering mind? For example, I was thinking about how my memory functions. Sometimes I am focused on some task, say a homework assignment. Then suddenly I will remember that I forgot to water the plants or forgot to turn off the stove. It seems as though my mind keeps wandering randomly away from my homework assignment and eventually stumbles upon something important.

Another example is the sudden insight into a problem. Say I am trying to solve a puzzling problem. I will try to focus on one aspect of the problem. Then ideas will start flying around my mind, previous problems I solved in the past, faces of teachers I once had. My mind might wander from one idea to the next randomly. I might even stop and take a break, go walk outside, maybe take a nap. Then suddenly the solution will come to me out of nowhere. So perhaps the wandering can be useful, even necessary for some activities?

The reason I am asking is that I have been practicing meditation daily for the past week, and I realized today that I have many doubts and worries flying through my head about the goal of meditation. My brain keeps saying, "Maybe I am better off the way I am. Why are you trying to change me? Maybe I was designed this way for a reason." Then it will give me examples of all the things it does for me, like the examples given above. I am not sure how to deal with these doubts, and I must say, my wandering mind seems to make a solid case for itself.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-17 3:57 PM (#94328 - in reply to #94326)
Subject: RE: Benefits of a wandering mind?

Understand and practice meditation with proper instruction.
tourist
Posted 2007-08-17 4:12 PM (#94329 - in reply to #94326)
Subject: RE: Benefits of a wandering mi

Expert Yogi

strazin - the mind is like a child and will resist discipline! With discipline there seems to be less of a need for those wandering moments, as we tend to remember things better and focus enough to stay on track. "Tend" is a key word
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-17 10:07 PM (#94350 - in reply to #94326)

Dear Starzin:

When mind is stressed due to an attempt to focus, wandering of mind shall provide relaxation or relief (that is your case, I think).

When mind is stressed due to too much wandering, focussing of mind shall provide relaxation or relief.

Therefore, the Yoga Practice (focussing attempt) has to be done within limit so that no stress is created while developing the focus. And, enjoyment has to be limited so that enjoyment does not carry one away from the focus. For your stress free contemplation:

samatvaM yoga uchyate... Shreemad Bhagavadgeetaa.

yuktaahaaravihaarasya yuktacheshtasya karmasu
yuktasvapnaavabodhasya yogo bhavati dukhahaH.... Shreemad Bhagavadgeetaa.

Ravi
Posted 2007-08-18 8:23 AM (#94361 - in reply to #94326)

strazin - 2007-08-17 3:31 PM Could there be any benefits of a wandering mind? For example, I was thinking about how my memory functions. Sometimes I am focused on some task, say a homework assignment. Then suddenly I will remember that I forgot to water the plants or forgot to turn off the stove. It seems as though my mind keeps wandering randomly away from my homework assignment and eventually stumbles upon something important. Another example is the sudden insight into a problem. Say I am trying to solve a puzzling problem. I will try to focus on one aspect of the problem. Then ideas will start flying around my mind, previous problems I solved in the past, faces of teachers I once had. My mind might wander from one idea to the next randomly. I might even stop and take a break, go walk outside, maybe take a nap. Then suddenly the solution will come to me out of nowhere. So perhaps the wandering can be useful, even necessary for some activities? The reason I am asking is that I have been practicing meditation daily for the past week, and I realized today that I have many doubts and worries flying through my head about the goal of meditation. My brain keeps saying, "Maybe I am better off the way I am. Why are you trying to change me? Maybe I was designed this way for a reason." Then it will give me examples of all the things it does for me, like the examples given above. I am not sure how to deal with these doubts, and I must say, my wandering mind seems to make a solid case for itself.

Om Namah Sivaya

Utsab,

If your mind had not been straying you would have never forgotton to water the plants, or turn off the stove............

One week of meditation practice only enforces the idea of how uncontolled the mind is, especially if you find yourself trying to rationalize not meditiating anymore............

Is it better to live your life in the past, present, or future? To live in the past or the future only brings suffering.......... to live in the present moment you must meditate, learn to become mindfull instead of mindless........

Mucho Metta,

Ravi

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)