YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fun story about gender
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

GreenJello
Posted 2007-08-17 11:08 AM (#94309)
Subject: Fun story about gender

Fun story about gender, reminded me of some of the stuff that Zoebird has gone through.

http://www.nomajesty.net/embryomystic/writing/babyx.html
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-08-17 4:26 PM (#94330 - in reply to #94309)
Subject: RE: Fun story about gender

Expert Yogi

I still have a copy of that story that I cut out of Ms. Magazine in the early 70's. It was written back when the big experiment on a Canadian boy who was raised as a girl was still being reported as a success (which it massively was NOT.) A lovely fantasy, though.
GreenJello
Posted 2007-08-17 6:09 PM (#94338 - in reply to #94330)

tourist - 2007-08-17 4:26 PM

I still have a copy of that story that I cut out of Ms. Magazine in the early 70's. It was written back when the big experiment on a Canadian boy who was raised as a girl was still being reported as a success (which it massively was NOT.) A lovely fantasy, though.

Well.... I don't think it's entirely a fantasy. In this case it seems that the child was raised without any real gender cues, to enable X to find his own way, which I think is important. ZB seems to be pretty keen on these sorts of issues, and I've had a number of similar discussions with my girlfriend. She has some very masculine traits, and definitely doesn't conform to traditional "girl" roles.

I hadn't heard about the Canadian experiment, what was the final outcome?
tourist
Posted 2007-08-17 6:35 PM (#94341 - in reply to #94338)

Expert Yogi

Really, I think it would be a grand experiment, though the "experts" say that our gender biased behaviour is so ingrained that we really are pretty unaware of it. The parents could do their best, but they would still know the gender and consequently behave accordingly. And convincing a "free-range" kid like that to not talk about their private parts with other kids by 3 or 4 is pretty much impossible

The Canadian story is really interesting and I just recently saw a documentary about it, which brought it back to my mind. In the mid 60's a boy was raised as a girl due to an accident in infancy. We were still being taught this as gospel truth in the early 80's (and by the looks of it that continued until the late 1990's) because the doctor involved never recanted his story
You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer
Of course, those parents knew the whole story and probably were massively confused, especially given the times they lived in, so that would not have helped.

But yeah, I really tried to raise my own kids and the kids I care for with little X in mind. And now I have a very masculine son who writes poetry and does yoga and a very feminine daughter (I hope she lets me post pics of her in her wedding dress!) who likes nothing more than taking her bike apart and working on it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)