YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Baby news..
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

joscmt
Posted 2007-08-15 12:02 PM (#94184)
Subject: Baby news..

It's a girl!! Yea! Here's a picture of my little one.. the level II ultrasound went really well. She was all over the place- doin' flips, keeping a close eye on us- everytime the tech tried to get a look at her brain she'd look up at us (I guess to where the noise was coming from)- it was great to see her moving all over!

(baby2.JPG)

(baby1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments baby2.JPG (11KB - 44 downloads)
Attachments baby1.JPG (12KB - 43 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
joscmt
Posted 2007-08-15 12:04 PM (#94185 - in reply to #94184)
Subject: RE: Baby news..

I'm a little lost in the nursery though- I'm thinking maybe a summer butterfly garden theme... I want it sweet, but not too cutesy.. it's tricky though, because the room has a slanted ceiling and not a lot of wall space... here are pics of that area- maybe some of you have some great ideas for it!!

(nursery 1.jpg)

(nursery 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments nursery 1.jpg (7KB - 48 downloads)
Attachments nursery 2.jpg (8KB - 47 downloads)
Nick
Posted 2007-08-15 2:01 PM (#94194 - in reply to #94185)

Hi MaryLisa,
I've got a suggestion for the nursey-soundproof it! Aren't those scans amazing? I remember my heart beating fast!

Nick
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-15 2:10 PM (#94196 - in reply to #94184)

Yay! I'm so happy for you. I think that nursery would look sweet with some paint.
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-15 2:16 PM (#94200 - in reply to #94184)

Wow, that reminds me of last year...

It's so amazing to see that little thing on the screen isn't it.

Congratulations, I'm so pleased for you.

Jonathon

Posted 2007-08-15 2:56 PM (#94207 - in reply to #94184)

that explains it!

i kept having these dreams about a baby girl, and i kept getting that i needed to look up italian influenced baby names, like Giannia.

btw, the room should be violet. this is also what a saw in the dream. the room was violet and she "designed it herself."

i think the butterfly garden theme will fit.

look, i know i'm nuts. but this explains all of those dreams (literally, over the last 10 days).

so cool.

Posted 2007-08-15 3:56 PM (#94212 - in reply to #94184)

Little joscmt is doing a terrific child's pose--congrats!
SCThornley
Posted 2007-08-15 4:20 PM (#94213 - in reply to #94184)

very nice,

don't work too hard on the nursery, the baby will most likely sleep well in a basonnette(sp?) right next to your side of the bed for the first few months, I know all of mine did.

we had a little basonet(SP?) on the floor next to my wife, we wanted to hear the sound of the little one breathing.....

I still like (love) the very sight of my children, and I know the same will be true for you.

Congrats.
tourist
Posted 2007-08-15 7:32 PM (#94227 - in reply to #94213)

Expert Yogi

I was going with yellow from the photos but if zb's dreams say violet, violet it is! Did you know that the colours for the women's suffrage movement were green, violet and white? The first letter of each colour word stands for Give Votes to Women.

Love the US photos! How many weeks to go?
joscmt
Posted 2007-08-16 9:34 AM (#94244 - in reply to #94184)

So far, I'm thinking about using all that ceiling space for a mural. I'm thinking a butterfly/wildflower garden. Not too much, though.. I don't want it all over the walls and everywhere.... but little garden bugs are sweet-- butterflies, fireflies, bumblebees, ladybugs. I wanted something that as she's older we can play with and interact with- "where's the bee?" kind of thing. My hubby had a good idea too- since he is tall and doesn't fit too far off center in the room- that I could take masonite and upholster it with fabric and batting- kind of like a one-sided pillow.. in different shapes- butterflies, clouds, etc and affix them to the wall in strategic spots- over the crib, changing table- places he might bump his head. Then I thought, why not do some flowers the same way and stick them to the wall down by the floor so she could play with them when she gets older.
So, I was thinking of using violets, pinks, yellows, greens, etc for the garden. Now, that's my idea at the moment- it may change as well. I've been known to be flighty like that.
Hey ZB- when are you coming down to visit me??

Posted 2007-08-16 10:10 AM (#94251 - in reply to #94184)

ML:

Well, i'm thinking about later this month (this weekend or next) or in November. i'm going to combine that with a chanting lesson from neel.
joscmt
Posted 2007-08-16 10:30 AM (#94254 - in reply to #94184)

Sweet! Let me know!

Posted 2007-08-16 12:03 PM (#94262 - in reply to #94184)

i definitely will!

also, check out my web site--a friend of mine posted an article about pre- and post- natal abdominal information! here's the direct link: http://jenifermparker.com/12.html
joscmt
Posted 2007-08-17 1:24 PM (#94318 - in reply to #94184)

Nice info there! I've actually been wondering about back and abdominal exercises lately. I want to maintain my posture best I can.. but I'm used to certain exercises- many of which I can no longer perform- because I'm not supposed to lie on my back or my stomach for an y length of time. So I hit the gym and went back to the weight machines. At least I can stay vertical in those...

Posted 2007-08-17 10:16 PM (#94351 - in reply to #94184)

there's some great exercises about posture at http://www.spinningbabies.com

a lot of the info is about the chiropractic technique as well, but there's a good deal of info on the site about how to sit and do many other things properly to help facilitate the health of both momma and baby (and help baby find the optimal position for birth!).
raquel
Posted 2007-08-18 2:56 AM (#94359 - in reply to #94184)

Congratulations, she looks adorable. Why dont you try some pilates classes, excellent for keeping your spine in alignment (so you dont get back ache). You are allowed to lie on your back just not for a long time. Say ten reps of and exercise then lie on your side.
I was doing body pump classes the day before giving birth to my second, everyone was scared to death I was going to give birth in the studio. I carried on all my yoga classes and pilates classes .and was back into my routine six weeks after he was born. my figure came back quickly because I carried on. How many weeks are you?, have you stopped your yoga practice?
joscmt
Posted 2007-08-18 12:13 PM (#94381 - in reply to #94184)

zb- spinning babies is a cool site- I'd looked at that one before.

raquel- I'll be 20 weeks on monday. I hadn't cut back too much on my yoga practice- just during the first trimester because I'd had a previous miscarriage and my instructors thought I should lay off for a bit.. and then I have been in a little lull for the last couple of weeks- which is why I know I'm feeling the way I am. I felt like a $1000 bucks yesterday after leaving the gym. I'll be back into my yoga routine this week
raquel
Posted 2007-08-19 6:37 AM (#94418 - in reply to #94184)

Good for you !! A fantastic book for pregnancy is Janet Balaskas active birth, I did her classes too they were lovely, if you can get there they are a great help.

Posted 2007-08-19 3:35 PM (#94454 - in reply to #94184)

i love spinning babies too.

one thing that i really like about it is how it informs you to avoid medical "scare" (what some women jokingly refer to when talking about the prenatal care from doctors).

as an example of this that a friend of mine (also hospital birthing) experienced, here is a story you can skip if you want:

when my friend went to her 20 week ultrasound, her Dr informed her that her child was "unusually large" and "in breech position." at which point, he immediately suggested that they schedule her for her c-section.

my friend looked at him (this is her first, but she knows a lot about birth from her research, spinning babies, etc), and said "but isn't it true that babies change position all throughout pregnancy, and can even move from breech to 'proper' position during the birth itself? and isn't it also true that 'breech' is simply a variation on normal, and not a medically problematic condition, even for first time mothers? and isn't is also true that ultrasounds are not good indicators of the weight of a baby, and can be off by as much as two pounds at birth?"

and the doctor said "yes, but i just want to make sure that you get yours scheduled, just in case you are in labor and need one because of these issues."

and she said "why don't we just cross that bridge as we come to it?" he said he was trying to rescue her baby, her baby could die, etc, if she didn't schedule--and she said "no, i think i'll schedule later if something arises that is truly life threatening." he was miffed!

she was going to her chiropractor, who does the webster technique, and the chiropractor thought this was crazy. they had a good laugh about it.

my friend's baby was due on the 22nd (due to ultrasound estimation), but was born on Wednesday (the estimates are notoriously 2 weeks off). she had a 100% natural labor and childbirth, in the hospital, and gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, Lorelei, who weighed 6 lbs and 10 oz (normal weight!) and was born in the normal position. She didn't have a tear or anything. a practically perfect birth in every way!

she attributes this to preparation, good care of herself (which i know you do!), and just plain blessings from heaven!

btw, our mutual friend gave birth at home in water to her baby boy, Micaiah, the same day--but we didn't know it for a few days because she wanted to keep it "secret." he is a 7 lb 4 oz cutie!

i love baby stories.
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-20 9:04 AM (#94485 - in reply to #94184)

Something similiar happened to us, only we ended up with the c section delivery. I was very upset.

Lebanon has excellent medical facilities (though like anywhere, you get what you pay for) and one of the highest c section rates in the world (about 37% according to a doctor I was speaking with).

Jonathon
joscmt
Posted 2007-08-20 9:11 AM (#94487 - in reply to #94184)

I actually asked the doctor about a c-section. My mom wasn't able to delivery naturally because of a narrow birth canal. Now, granted, that was 41 years ago (with my brother).. but I asked if it was possible that the same thing might happen to me. My doc said that's something they don't even consider until very late- and that they don't medically intervene unless it's absolutely necessary. As it turns out, I've met a few people who delivered with this medical group and just loved it! Apparently, they don't push you into anything..... I suppose we'll see.... I'm definitely not into the home birth. I think it's great for people who are into it.. it's just not for me.

Posted 2007-08-20 11:22 AM (#94516 - in reply to #94184)

jonnie:

yeah, the US has the same issue. it's really a money maker for hospitals. in my area, some hospitals have rates of as much as 70%. so they'll blow all kinds of sunshine at you about how they support "natural" birth, but once you're in the hospital to give birth, they put you on a clock, then start one intervention after another, until you end up with a section because you didn't match the clock.

it's really tragic, and it's affect on women and children is major. the US also has one of the highest rate of premature births, due to inducements and scheduled c-sections, and it's on the rise. it's a huge, huge problem.

i think if i were to birth in a hospital, i'd go to germany. there, they simply put the woman and her chosen partners in a room, they have midwives on staff (direct entry through doctor/midwives), and they basicly leave her alone unless there's a problem. they don't even suggest medical intervention.

And NZ would probably be one of the best places to birth at all. their preference is for women to have homebirths (though they have free standing birth centers as well for women who do not prefer this). midwives do prenatal care in your home, you also get your home birth, and then you get 6 months of support with your midwife for postnatal and pediatric care, as well as a lactation consultant. This is all covered through their national health care.

and if there's a problem with mother or baby, there is excellent hospital care--also completely covered by their health care system. it's amazing!

but i think the US is probably one of the worst developed nations to birth in. it's just an absolute mess. And considering that 98% of american hospitals are infected with those "super bugs" for which there is no antibiotic treatment. . .well, it's even scarier.

marylisa:

i'm glad that your doctors are open about it all. have you read "Good Birth, SAfe Birth?" ( i think that's the title). it's a great book. it goes over all of the different interventions and processes that are used in midwife and doctor assisted births, when they're necessary and how they work--so that you can be informed and make a solid birth plan for your hospital birth.

have you considered hiring a doula? a lot of women love to utilize the services of a doula for birth support in any setting. a doula is a great asset. http://www.doula.com/

even with UC, ryan and i are considering hiring a post partum doula to help with basic support such as cleaning up, caring for ryan and i (light cooking etc), and just general support and connections (most know lactation consultants, midwives, good pediatricians, etc).

jonnie
Posted 2007-08-20 11:53 AM (#94522 - in reply to #94184)

It's the same over here. Once a doctor sees my wife's medical insurance coverage, the dollar signs appear in their eyes.

Her first doctor told her on her FIRST visit (after ONE month of trying to conceive) that she was polysistic and should consider IVF. I was really shocked and asked when, expecting him to say next year or so and he said right now, this month.

I took her for a second opinion and the next doctor said that it was absolute rubbish and of course she was not polysistic and forget the IVF (the two are not linked anyway). Of course, now we have the dilema of two doctors and two very different diagnosis, so we had to see a third (who backed up the second).

If it wasn't so serious it would have been funny.

Jonathon

Posted 2007-08-20 1:19 PM (#94532 - in reply to #94184)

that's so sad, jonnie. happens all the time. do you know how many people are duped by their doctors like that? it's just so terrible!

----

also, wanted to pass along a book my friend recommended called Magical Child. looks cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Magical-Child-Joseph-Chilton-Pearce/dp/0452267897
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-20 3:08 PM (#94548 - in reply to #94184)

Thanks for the tip.

I'll order a copy.

Jonathon
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)