YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ashtanga and Meditation
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

raquel
Posted 2007-08-20 10:23 AM (#94503 - in reply to #94157)
Subject: RE: Ashtanga and Meditation

It was with an organisation called the Bramha Kumaris have you heard of them?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-20 10:52 AM (#94507 - in reply to #94157)

Yes I have.

Actually, they do a lot of wonderful work for charity and 99.9% of their people are unpaid volunteers so I take back my witty comment. Though that specific teacher should maybe study more though...

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-20 11:05 AM (#94510 - in reply to #94499)

raquel - 2007-08-20 10:06 AM
Neel
sorry Im not sure I understand the question, but Ill try to answer to the best of my ability - I believe I am a spiritual being having a physical experience, when this body dies, my spirit will animate another body
===> No, no. My question is: You are practicing meditation with the seed of body as you said. You also are particularly refering to a Yoga Exercise such as Ashtanga Vinyasa exercise. Now, you are becoming older and older (sorry!). Let us say currently you are 80 (I meant 1. Later you become 90 (I meant 100), your body is becoming weaker. What is happening to your meditation with body as the seed? That is the question. Please answer it now.

About the impressions emanating from the soul, what I meant was my true nature,, my unique energy which is peace and stillness.
===> Yes. No impressions are emanating from this soul. If you want to call peace and stillness as impression, that is great, but that is the only impression it shall emanate. Not many impressions.

tourist
Posted 2007-08-20 11:15 AM (#94512 - in reply to #94507)

Expert Yogi

I want to go back a few posts here and agree with jonnie. Asana is a total body experience and if one is "out of body" then you are risking injury, if nothing else. BKS tells us that when we can be 100% in all the cells in our body at the same time, then we are on the right path.

I used to have this discussion with Mr. Tourist's running friends all the time. Feeling light and full of life and able to be "above" oneself is not meditation. Trance - "i ran 10 k and didn't notice any time had passed" also not meditation. Very pleasant? YES! Good for mind, body, spirit? Absolutely! Seek ways to replicate the experience? Why not?! Meditation? No. There are aspects of pratyahara (sense withdrawal) involved fur sure and certainly dharana (concentration - and we can discuss the relative merits of my translations of these words elsewhere, but these are the general terms I have been taught) but I do not believe classical "meditation" can be reached during the process of vigorous physical activity, asana practice or otherwise.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-20 11:16 AM (#94513 - in reply to #94157)

Jonnie thanx for the web site, do sachananda have the same method?

The Raja Yoga course I went on was run by www.brahmakumaris.org.uk I have ther book which corresponds with the course and it has striking resemblences to patanjalis sutras, the teachers were very altruistic, they teach the course voluntary, and have weekly universal meditations, it has more than 5 thousand centres in over eighty countries

This is who the book is dedicated to (slipping off onto tangent again, sorry)

to those who seek the deepest peace, the greatest love
and the truest happiness in life

to those for whom all is not what it appears to be
but cannot quite see behind appearances

to those who simply seek to know
what is truth and what is illusion

to those who know they are not being true to themselves
and are moved with greater authenticity and integrity

to those that are aware that this world is on the edge of a dramatic
and profound shift, and sense they have a significant role to play

to those who know a higher power is at play in the world
and hear the subtle call of that power to be present and available

to those who simply wish to know exactly
who they are and why on earth they are here

Neel I understand your question, and I would say that the more traditional approach to meditation is much more suitable for older people, but then again they can probably relax the mind a lot quicker than someone young.
I move into a meditive state when I practice ashtanga vinyasa and it prepres me to sit comfortablv for seated practices. Ive never reached samadhi in seated or moving meditations, and dont know anyone else who has, have you?

Edited by raquel 2007-08-20 11:37 AM
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-20 12:06 PM (#94527 - in reply to #94513)

raquel - 2007-08-21 7:16 PM

Jonnie thanx for the web site, do sachananda have the same method?

Swami Satchidananda was a long term student of Swami Sivanada.

Though he actually left the Divine Life Society to open the Integral Yoga centre in Virginia (near Neel) his teachings and approach are very reflective of his teacher.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-20 1:13 PM (#94531 - in reply to #94513)

raquel - 2007-08-20 11:16 AM

Neel I understand your question, and I would say that the more traditional approach to meditation is much more suitable for older people, but then again they can probably relax the mind a lot quicker than someone young.
===> But, the sutras and many other books including HathaYoga books do not talk about age factor!
I move into a meditive state when I practice ashtanga vinyasa and it prepres me to sit comfortablv for seated practices.
===> That is wonderful.
Ive never reached samadhi in seated or moving meditations, and dont know anyone else who has, have you?
===> Yes, I know such people. And, interestingly, NONE of them was in a moving or static Yoga Exercise pose. (Jonnie's statement, repeated.) All of them were in a seated or lying static NON Yoga Exercise position.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-20 1:34 PM (#94535 - in reply to #94157)

Neel have you ever gone to samadhi? what posture was budha practicing when he found enlightenment?
Neel dont you think practrioners should practice in a way that works for them, I used to always need asana to help prepare me for meditation practices, but ive noticed lately I am happy and find it easier to sit and focus much easier than I used to without always needing asana practice, I am finding I am really appreciating the time in quiet solitude more than ever, but I think it is my asana practice that has paved the way.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-20 1:59 PM (#94538 - in reply to #94157)

neel I think ive just realised what point you were making - that the yoga sutras were intended for everyone, if this was the case how could incorporating all the limbs into ashtanga vinyasa apply to everyone, most people would find the sequence a real challenge, however done as a seperate practice it is available to everyone.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-20 3:21 PM (#94551 - in reply to #94538)

raquel - 2007-08-20 1:59 PM
Neel have you ever gone to samadhi? what posture was budha practicing when he found enlightenment?
===> Buddha was in a simple sitting posture. Even Padmaasana was considered a simple sitting posture then because people were having a lifestyle which allowed flexible and healthy knees.
Actually, Buddha and 7000 years before Buddha, the yogis did not have to do strenuous Asana practice to be able to attain a simple sitting posture to sit for meditation.

Neel dont you think practrioners should practice in a way that works for them, I used to always need asana to help prepare me for meditation practices, but ive noticed lately I am happy and find it easier to sit and focus much easier than I used to without always needing asana practice, I am finding I am really appreciating the time in quiet solitude more than ever, but I think it is my asana practice that has paved the way.
===> Yes. Everyone can ONLY practice in a way that works for them. But, that does not mean 'anything and everything'. For example, Running Fast and Performing Meditation will never work for anyone. Asana practice, as I said, can be a great aid for health and focus. But, actually, the Meditation sitting pose has nothing to do with Yoga Exercise posen in a way. That means NO Yoga Exercise is needed to start and practice Meditation. And, one may be a baby in Meditation even getting Level 100 in Yoga Exercises. Not, because they can not but because they did not.

neel I think ive just realised what point you were making - that the yoga sutras were intended for everyone, if this was the case how could incorporating all the limbs into ashtanga vinyasa apply to everyone, most people would find the sequence a real challenge, however done as a seperate practice it is available to everyone.
===> Yogasutras for everyone means the framework given by the Yoga Sutras is for all and it always apply to all. Within that framework one can form their practice. Sequence has NOTHING to do with that framework, except in a way of 'maintaining health', 'developing some focus', and 'also making the breathing apparatus more strong'.

Phil
Posted 2007-08-20 5:20 PM (#94560 - in reply to #94465)

Hi'
I still stick to my point that you can't make meditation happen.
In any approach to meditation no matter how subtle the focus you are still using a technique of mind.
Only in samandi when the mind is focused with out effort, when the energy of the mind has no desire to move in any direction and then the mind, having no momentum, can no longer exist. Then the energy of the mind implodes in on it's self in an atomic release of energy.
All asana practises from any discipline are only to aid in a easy sitting practice.
And sitting practice are of a higher discipline.
But the Mysore style integrates so many disciplines in to one practise it gives you a clear fast understanding of how the energy of the self is made up. I don't say any better than any other, just well thought through.
You have to remember Pattabhi has a whole set of pranayama techniques he teaches and he used to give his student advice on there questions on meditation.
You have to remember the institute is a Ashtanga "research" institute.

And can I get one thing straight, do you really think BKS or Krishnamaracharya didn't study and apply the sutras to there own understanding of yoga.

On the limbs you can split the limbs the lower 4 into Hatha and the higher 4 into Raja, or look at it as 4 outer (body) and 4 inner (mind)
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-20 6:06 PM (#94565 - in reply to #94560)

Phil - 2007-08-20 5:20 PM

Hi'
I still stick to my point that you can't make meditation happen. In any approach to meditation no matter how subtle the focus you are still using a technique of mind. Only in samandi when the mind is focused with out effort, when the energy of the mind has no desire to move in any direction and then the mind, having no momentum, can no longer exist. Then the energy of the mind implodes in on it's self in an atomic release of energy.
===> This is because you are defining Meditation that way. In the Yoga Sutras meditation is defined as the practice (of course it is a result of even prior practice!). Even the earlier levels of Samadhi are defined as practice only in the Yoga Sutras. (You are defining Meditation as a Result which happens, not what the Yoga Sutras say.)

All asana practises from any discipline are only to aid in a easy sitting practice. And sitting practice are of a higher discipline.
===> Asana practice is not required to develop a sitting practice of higher discipline.

But the Mysore style integrates so many disciplines in to one practise it gives you a clear fast understanding of how the energy of the self is made up. I don't say any better than any other, just well thought through.
===> Well thought through. Of course, it is developed by the great Yogi, Vaman Rishi. And, it is developed for those who are already highly disciplined, strong, agile, and dedicated. Not, for those who go to office 10 hours a day, run 5 miles a day, and then do all sorts of girl-boy friend things, and then take up the Ashtanga Style practice! Yes, if it is done by an extremely qualified student then it shall give the quick results.

You have to remember Pattabhi has a whole set of pranayama techniques he teaches and he used to give his student advice on there questions on meditation. You have to remember the institute is a Ashtanga "research" institute.
===> Pranayama Techniques are NOT suitable for the current life style of average person. Yes, an a particular student may succeed in it. And, an average person can do some of it, which does not give the same benefit as when a dedicated person does it.

And can I get one thing straight, do you really think BKS or Krishnamaracharya didn't study and apply the sutras to there own understanding of yoga.
===> Who is saying this. May be someone. I am saying they are applying the Sutras in their life. As for me, Prof Krishnamacharya applied them totally.

On the limbs you can split the limbs the lower 4 into Hatha and the higher 4 into Raja, or look at it as 4 outer (body) and 4 inner (mind)

This split already exists in the Sutras as 5 + 3, trayamantrangaM puurvebhyaH, tadapi bahiranaM nirbiijasya... Chapter 3.

raquel
Posted 2007-08-21 2:25 AM (#94594 - in reply to #94157)

I think this is why the brahma kumaris call their yoga - raja yoga because it focuses on the last three limbs, wonder why they never refer to Patanjali though?

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-21 2:06 PM (#94629 - in reply to #94594)

This Phenomenon is not new, I mean not refering. All Buddhism comes from Indian Philosophy, but they do not always refer that way. Same with Self Enquiry, Non Self Enquiry, Power of Now,Power of Future, etc. But, the minimum thing they should do is:

They should define why they call their yoga Rajayoga. And, same should be done in case of Ashtanga Vinyasa and Kundalini. (And of course my style, Authentic Yoga System, which btw is defined.) Iyengar Yoga is much easier that way as it immediately defines itself.

JivanMukti = LiberationWhileAlive is too divine, though!

raquel - 2007-08-21 2:25 AM

I think this is why the brahma kumaris call their yoga - raja yoga because it focuses on the last three limbs, wonder why they never refer to Patanjali though?

raquel
Posted 2007-08-22 3:48 AM (#94678 - in reply to #94157)

hy neel, the Brahma Kumaris say raja yoga has two meanings "soveriegn yoga" - the yoga were i become the soveriegn master of myself and the "supreme union" or "union with the supreme"
rediscovering and developing a personal relationship with the supreme, the source of perfection, God.
iandicker
Posted 2007-08-30 11:47 AM (#95387 - in reply to #94678)

Wow!

I really opened a can of worms here. I guess the answer to my question is if you want to meditate then it's best to do it outside of the primary series.

I would have liked to have heard if anyone has managed to clear their mind and felt that they were really present in the moment whilst doing their asanas though

Can anyone recommend a good book on meditation?

Ian
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-30 11:51 AM (#95389 - in reply to #95387)

ian****er - 2007-08-30 11:47 AM

Wow!

I really opened a can of worms here. I guess the answer to my question is if you want to meditate then it's best to do it outside of the primary series.

I would have liked to have heard if anyone has managed to clear their mind and felt that they were really present in the moment whilst doing their asanas though

===> That shall happen automatically if the asanas are done in a sincere way. And, that shall happen better in static poses than in a flow.

Can anyone recommend a good book on meditation?
===> You should choose a book which is small and NOT choose a book that is big and elaborate. For example, you can choose a small booklet on this topic by Swami Sachidanandaji. The audio course such as the one on my website shall give you immediate instruction in terms of concept and practice. This can take you through 6 months or more.

Ian
Nick
Posted 2007-08-30 11:54 AM (#95390 - in reply to #95387)

Hi Ian,
I would say that if an exercise doesn't clear your mind, then it's not yoga that you are practicing.

Nick
raquel
Posted 2007-08-30 12:01 PM (#95392 - in reply to #94157)

Ye mind always feels a lot clearer during and after my yoga practice, but whether it can move you to the places patanjali talks about is a different story. Ashtanga develops high levels of focus, internalisation and concentration, for me more than the other styles, because there is continuity of undisturbed flow and focus. It has a sort of rythm, which rocks you into a meditive state.

I have lots of favourite books on meditation, le sham how to meditate, gives a wide variey of meditation techniques. Teach yourself to meditate by eric harrison is very straight forward.
in the light of meditation by mike goerge of the brahma kumaris is excellent (you may have to order off their web site)
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)