YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planning for the Future
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Spring Haze
Posted 2007-08-14 10:05 AM (#94111)
Subject: Planning for the Future

Hello all,

I have been practicing Ashtanga now for about a year and a half. I try to practice about four times a week, more if time permits.

I have a very talented teacher where I live, but would like to broaden my horizons. My question: what is the next step? I really want to do a TT, not even because I want to teach necessarily (although I would like to eventually), but because I want that intense learning experience. Also, I have tossed around going to Mysore--but would probably only have the time to stay for one month.

I know that both would be completely different experiences. Everyone seems to advise to not have too high of expectations in going to Mysore. My expectations are only to have the experience there, whatever that experience might be.

What order would you advise doing this in? Obviously it takes some funding and planning. It might be a few years out before I could do either.

Also, has anyone done the TT with Richard Freeman? I feel drawn to that program, although I know that he wants students to have completed (or at least have a solid understanding of) the second series. I can hit the first half pretty solidly...but the second half is pretty hit or miss. Meaning, I am probably a few years away from even being prepared to study with Richard.

Any advice? Thank you much!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-14 10:11 AM (#94113 - in reply to #94111)
Subject: RE: Planning for the Future

I can give you a better suggestion if I know exactly what a) you like in Ashtanga b) what you want to progress in - list exact elements of yoga practice, such as series exercise, diet, etc. c) what you want to experience in Mysore - food, people, culture, exercise, look at the teacher, etc.

Spring Haze - 2007-08-14 10:05 AM

Hello all,

I have been practicing Ashtanga now for about a year and a half. I try to practice about four times a week, more if time permits.

I have a very talented teacher where I live, but would like to broaden my horizons. My question: what is the next step? I really want to do a TT, not even because I want to teach necessarily (although I would like to eventually), but because I want that intense learning experience. Also, I have tossed around going to Mysore--but would probably only have the time to stay for one month.

I know that both would be completely different experiences. Everyone seems to advise to not have too high of expectations in going to Mysore. My expectations are only to have the experience there, whatever that experience might be.

What order would you advise doing this in? Obviously it takes some funding and planning. It might be a few years out before I could do either.

Also, has anyone done the TT with Richard Freeman? I feel drawn to that program, although I know that he wants students to have completed (or at least have a solid understanding of) the second series. I can hit the first half pretty solidly...but the second half is pretty hit or miss. Meaning, I am probably a few years away from even being prepared to study with Richard.

Any advice? Thank you much!
Spring Haze
Posted 2007-08-14 10:44 AM (#94118 - in reply to #94113)

Ok...

a) What don't I like about Ashtanga? The first time I practiced I almost had an epiphany. I immediately had this feeling of "wow...this is what I want to do." I loved the meditative nature of the practice and the physical demands.

b) I need to progress most in discipline, especially diet. I have a good diet by American standards...lot of grains, beans, non-processed. I eat meat about once a week and think I could eventually cut it out totally. I do eat dairy and drink in moderation. I am still working on building up my strength and really don't have a strong command over my bandas yet. As far is specific poses, I am stumped by the "usual" ones in the primary series. I can bind almost every time on one side in Mari D. I need help in Supta K. Mostly, I am still opening up my hamstrings. A year ago, I couldn't even touch my feet, so I would say that the progress has been great. It think that I will be able to "jump back" in a matter of months, but again, my hamstrings are not open enough to jump through yet.

c) As far as Mysore goes, I guess I just want to see how things are done there as far as Ashtanga goes. I want the full experience. I want to see PJ and Sharath teach. Also, I love to travel, so seeing the culture, food, sites, etc is also of great interest to me.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-14 11:19 AM (#94121 - in reply to #94118)

I've found that the more advanced teachers push you much harder.
Their adjustments are very strong.

I've studied with David Williams, David Swenson, Kino McGregor, David Keil, Manju Jois and the family during the world tour.

I spent the most time with David Swenson (3 seperate visits), Kino (2 1/2 seperate visits),

Richard Freeman pace is a little slower than David Swenson. Richard has been influenced more from Iyengar yoga too. He is quite a wordsmith. I have a couple of his DVDs.

David Swenson is more laid back and reassuring. He is very reasonable. Very good overall.

Kino is more like a warrior. She is more strict. You would have to see if it works for you...

David Keil is kind of a mix of David Swenson and Kino. He has training in Chiro and massage.

On the other side of the coin is Hard and Soft ashtanga method. Training with them is more research and exploration. The practice research postures and variations.

Mysore? I plan on going. I was looking forward to the new center in the Florida Keys, but they haven't made any new announcements about it. I will probably try to study there if it opens..

And, if they do another world tour, go!

The Jois family is unique. The pronuncation, timing, adjustments are fierce. Somehow it feels like a different sequence when Guruji is teaching.
Spring Haze
Posted 2007-08-14 12:17 PM (#94125 - in reply to #94111)

I have heard that the Jois adjustments are much stronger than you usually get in the US. Physically, I am not ready for that right now. When it's hit or miss getting into Mari D, then I probably don't have a lot of room to be "crunched" around in that pose. With a few more years practice under my belt, I think I will be ready.

Ready or not, my husband may be working in Asia some next summer. If that is the case, I can't pass up the chance to go.

I am planning on trying to go to workshops with Lino Miele and Christine Hoar this year, possibly David Williams. I have never studied with a senior teacher before, so I will just have to test the waters and see what personalities work best for me. I do tend to do well when teachers are a bit "gruff" with me. My only experience with Richard Freeman is what I have seen on tape and read. Correct me if I am wrong, but the only TT intensives that I have found are with Satya & David Garrigues, Richard, David Swenson, and Tim Miller. I have heard that Tim Miller doesn't teach a lot of adjustments, and that is something that I am interested in getting some experience with.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-14 12:46 PM (#94127 - in reply to #94118)

Spring Haze - 2007-08-14 10:44 AM

Ok...

a) What don't I like about Ashtanga? The first time I practiced I almost had an epiphany. I immediately had this feeling of "wow...this is what I want to do." I loved the meditative nature of the practice and the physical demands.

===> I think you meant 'what I like about Ashtanga?'. Anyway, the Meditative nature is in all correctly done Yoga. In fact, it is more in the Static Yoga. But, you do not have to give up Ashtanga for that. Physical Demands are of course there in Ashtanga. So, let us go ahead.

b) I need to progress most in discipline, especially diet. I have a good diet by American standards...lot of grains, beans, non-processed. I eat meat about once a week and think I could eventually cut it out totally. I do eat dairy and drink in moderation. I am still working on building up my strength and really don't have a strong command over my bandas yet. As far is specific poses, I am stumped by the "usual" ones in the primary series. I can bind almost every time on one side in Mari D. I need help in Supta K. Mostly, I am still opening up my hamstrings. A year ago, I couldn't even touch my feet, so I would say that the progress has been great. It think that I will be able to "jump back" in a matter of months, but again, my hamstrings are not open enough to jump through yet.
===> For Diet, do not see Ashtanga Yoga instruction. You should seek the instruction from another source. For discipline, there is no instruction required. It depends on your own practice. For the Ashantag Pose improvements, I shall recommend John Freedman, Davids Swenson, and such other teachers. I know one here if you want, I mean in VA.

c) As far as Mysore goes, I guess I just want to see how things are done there as far as Ashtanga goes. I want the full experience. I want to see PJ and Sharath teach. Also, I love to travel, so seeing the culture, food, sites, etc is also of great interest to me.
===> That is your choice. If you only want to see there classes, you can get videos. If you want to see them live, you do not need to attend their class. Just write to them that you want to watch the class, and do what is possible.

===> As for other travel interests, completely ignore Ashtanga Yoga part, and take the tour from an authoritative source, such as a friend from Karnataka. I can guide you a little bit through my friends. And, enjoy that trip separately from Yoga.

Best Luck

TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-14 2:09 PM (#94129 - in reply to #94125)

I would go to Mysore if given the chance.

Don't forget Manju. He does TT intensives too. He is great and taeches all around the world all year long..

http://www.manjujois.com/#/schedule/

tmarques
Posted 2007-08-14 6:26 PM (#94137 - in reply to #94111)

I don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone here been to Mysore? Just wondering about the horror stories about Pattabhi Jois and whether they have any credence.

As for Ashtanga, I had a similar experience when I finally tried it - epiphany is a good word. I never imagined exhaustion could feel so good Good luck!
Spring Haze
Posted 2007-08-14 7:10 PM (#94139 - in reply to #94137)

I haven't heard horror stories...

I have heard about people that are disappointed with their experience in Mysore. I have heard about people getting sick and being injured by strong adjustments. I guess that is why my motivation in wanting to go to Mysore is different from my motivation in wanting to study in-depth with an experienced teacher.
Spring Haze
Posted 2007-08-14 7:14 PM (#94140 - in reply to #94127)

Thanks for the insight.

I agree that nutrition advice and discipline are not what an Ashtanga teacher will give me. I thought that you were just asking to see where I was in my practice.

And yes, I would want travel in India to be separate from Ashtanga in Mysore. Ideally, I would take a month in Mysore, then travel around for a while afterwards.
tourist
Posted 2007-08-15 10:27 AM (#94177 - in reply to #94140)

Expert Yogi

TM - a former member here had huge issues with P Jois when she studied with him in the US. PM me if you want details.
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-15 10:37 AM (#94179 - in reply to #94111)

When I decided to do my Ashtanga teacher training, I thought seriously about going to Mysore.

Logistically, It's only about two hours away from me, the flights are cheap and I have a few friends who live there so it would have been quite straight foward for me.

In the end, I decided to take Brian Cooper's Ashtanga teacher training in Scotland. I loved his course, his teaching style and his approach to Yoga.

I am sure I learned much more from him than I would have learned from taking the Mysore route.

Jonathon
Nick
Posted 2007-08-15 1:58 PM (#94193 - in reply to #94177)

Hi Glenda,
Can you pm me too? I'd be really interested to hear.

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)