YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anjenyasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

groovelite
Posted 2007-08-14 9:45 AM (#94108)
Subject: anjenyasana

Is anjenyasana the sanskrit for lunge? Is there another name for lunge?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-08-14 10:11 AM (#94112 - in reply to #94108)
Subject: RE: anjenyasana

anjenayasana is 'anjenaya's pose.'

anjenaya means 'son of anjena' and refers to hanuman.

it is a lunging posture or a series of lunging postures (there are numerous versions). it is named after hanuman because of his great leaps across oceans and land masses in the service of Rama and Sita, to whom he was most devoted.

sometimes, other traditions will call some of the types of anjenaya lunges 'crescent lunge' or even 'crescent moon lunges' or 'warrior 1.5' or any other variety of names.

but in the krishnamacharya lineage, it's anjenayasana.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-14 10:18 AM (#94115 - in reply to #94108)

anjaneyaasana - (pronunciation: an - like un in unnecessary, ja like Ge in German, ne like ne in necessary, yaa like yah (yes) without aspiration, sa like sa in Samurai, na like na in lunar)

anjaneya - son of anjanaa

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-14 10:55 PM (#94145 - in reply to #94108)

Correction:

anjaneya - son of anjanee (nee as in neel)
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-08-15 7:37 AM (#94158 - in reply to #94115)

If anyone's interested, here's a link to an Sanskrit pronunciation guide that's linked to YogaDancer's website:

http://www.tilakpyle.com/sanskrit_asanas_a.htm

It's helped me learn how to finally say prasarita padottanasana properly, accentwise at least!

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-15 7:50 AM (#94161 - in reply to #94108)

The above site has some good features such as presentation of the material. Pronunciation is NOT correct. It should not be used to learn pronunciation. For example,

the ending of each pose sounds like naa, it should be only na as in namaste.

As far as possible, pronunciation should be learnt from an Audio source, firstly a person, secondly Audio Recording. And, both should be from an Indian person (sorry about this discrimination, but that is true. It is similar to learning English Pronuciation from an English person, and Spanish person. Actually, it is more so.).

But, of course, when such a source is not available, one should use whatever is available.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-08-15 8:11 AM (#94162 - in reply to #94161)

kulkarnn - 2007-08-15 7:50 AM Pronunciation is NOT correct.

I had a feeling you'd say that... For the few times I've gone to that site, it was to possibly find out which syllable got the accent in a word, such as in "prasarita" (and I still have trouble with that one!). One of these days (years!) I'll invest in a formal course in Sanskrit pronunciation. Coming from a multilingual home myself, I do know that learning a language from someone for whom it their native tongue is the only way to go.

Thanks for the information (and correction!) as usual.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-15 6:32 PM (#94220 - in reply to #94108)

Actually, I need to correct myself once on the previous one. I was in a meeting today, so I got chance now.

aanjaneya - the first letter is aa like arms.

aanjaneya - son of anjanee

paarvaee - daughter of parvata

etc.
majesticyoga
Posted 2007-10-26 11:35 PM (#98731 - in reply to #94161)

kulkarnn - 2007-08-15 6:50 AM

The above site has some good features such as presentation of the material. Pronunciation is NOT correct. It should not be used to learn pronunciation. For example,

As far as possible, pronunciation should be learnt from an Audio source, firstly a person, secondly Audio Recording. And, both should be from an Indian person (sorry about this discrimination, but that is true. It is similar to learning English Pronuciation from an English person, and Spanish person. Actually, it is more so.).

But, of course, when such a source is not available, one should use whatever is available.

Any audio source recommendations? Or perhaps you know of a site that has more correct pronounciations?
Thank you

Posted 2007-10-27 12:49 AM (#98734 - in reply to #94161)

I'm glad you brought this up Neel. I was thinking the same things after working on pronunciation of the Gayatri over and over and over again with my teacher (and still butchering it terribly). Then someone had suggested the site and I went to hear the very mantra we had been working on. That was when it struck me that the pronunciations are innacurate.

But it is a mammoth work, that site. A lot of time and effort must have gone into its production.

kulkarnn - 2007-08-15 4:50 AM

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-27 10:55 PM (#98751 - in reply to #98731)

You may or may not like this answer. But, that is my answer anyway. Please do not debate this answer, anyone (other wise, I shall correctly pronounce mantras I learn from my respected BBB and that shall turn you into xxxx):

the only sources I suggest are:

a) personal instruction from certain selected Indian Teachers.

b) or my own audios

(this is not a joke. this is beause, all the other ones I came to hear are no good for learning. and, the other ones which may be good for learning, I have not come in contact.)

majesticyoga - 2007-10-26 11:35 PM
Any audio source recommendations? Or perhaps you know of a site that has more correct pronounciations?
Thank you

Edited by kulkarnn 2007-10-27 10:57 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)