YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

meditation and noise
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

tubeseeker
Posted 2007-08-08 6:27 PM (#93809)
Subject: meditation and noise

I have a bit of a challenge, I live with a person who stays up till 8 in the morning and is watching tv at that time. I have sealed around my door and put a towel under it to keep out as much sound as possible. It is not loud in my room, but I can faintly hear the tv when I am trying to meditate. I was thinking of putting on a small fan which would circulate the air and it has a low hum to it. being a constant noise I could drown that out, it is the tv when it changes scenes/volumes that I get distrubed Being new to meditation I would appreciate some imput of those who have more experience then me
thanks
seeker
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-08 10:37 PM (#93820 - in reply to #93809)
Subject: RE: meditation and noise

1. Remove the seals on the doors and remove the towel. You must not stop fresh air coming in.

2. You can use the head phones with the sound you like, such as Fan sound, Tanpura (Indian Instrument) sound, Siar sound, Chanting, etc.

Best Luck.

tubeseeker - 2007-08-08 6:27 PM

I have a bit of a challenge, I live with a person who stays up till 8 in the morning and is watching tv at that time. I have sealed around my door and put a towel under it to keep out as much sound as possible. It is not loud in my room, but I can faintly hear the tv when I am trying to meditate. I was thinking of putting on a small fan which would circulate the air and it has a low hum to it. being a constant noise I could drown that out, it is the tv when it changes scenes/volumes that I get distrubed Being new to meditation I would appreciate some imput of those who have more experience then me
thanks
seeker
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-08 10:43 PM (#93822 - in reply to #93820)

Expert Yogi

Tubeseeker,

I know how you feel, its very difficult to meditate under those conditions. Once, when I was in the hospital a couple of months ago, helping out my motherinlaw, I really needed to have some quiet space. Guess where I went??? I found the neatest little chapel, in the hospital. I was the only one there, so I locked the doors. It was sooo friggin cool. I meditated for an entire hour...it may have been longer. It was really nice. So, I have this new idea....perhaps a church would be a good place to go meditate. There are sooo many...too many being unsused except for on Sundays. So, perhaps you can find one that is open and empty to visit.

Be forewarned....don't tell them you're going to do yoga...tell them you need to have some time alone with God to pray. That's it. Best wishes.
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-09 12:14 AM (#93828 - in reply to #93809)

Hi tubeseeker

Ask your teacher to teach you Brahmari breathing (the Bee breath).

I'm surprised that Cyndi didn't recommend this

Brahmari is a useful preparation technique to practise before your meditation to relax, center and internalise your awareness.

Jonathon
Ravi
Posted 2007-08-09 8:53 AM (#93839 - in reply to #93809)

As Neel stated and what I use when outside conditions are really disturbing... is putting on my MP3 player and listening to Kirtan/Bhajans (devotional chanting music).

I do not focus on the music, I just let the chants vibrate through me as I focus on my mantra and breath...........

Edited by Ravi 2007-08-09 8:54 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-09 9:27 AM (#93842 - in reply to #93839)

I LOVE THAT!

Ravi - 2007-08-09 8:53 AM
I do not focus on the music, I just let the chants vibrate through me as I focus on my mantra and breath...........

tourist
Posted 2007-08-09 11:09 AM (#93847 - in reply to #93842)

Expert Yogi

When I took TM training many years ago I believe we were just told to more or less ignore external noise and concentrate on the mantra. The only time I recall being bothered was when my kids forgot where I was and started calling for me.

Neel - I am surprised that it is permissible to block the ear passages. It doesn't seem to go along with the principles of yoga as I understand them. Is it a special ear mudra or bandha? Are students expected to eventually let go of this yoga "prop"?
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-08-09 11:24 AM (#93853 - in reply to #93839)

Ravi - 2007-08-09 8:53 AM... is putting on my MP3 player and listening to Kirtan/Bhajans (devotional chanting music).

This is how I run. My body follows my breath, which is following the vibrations of the chanting... riding those waves, I suppose.

I feel still within my movement as a result. I run for about an hour like this, three days a week.

Today I ran to GuruGanesha Singh's "Mul Mantra", among other things. 31 minutes of just that one song. It's best when it's long and repetitive like that. I'm aware of everything and nothing all at once.

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-08-09 11:29 AM
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-08-09 3:10 PM (#93871 - in reply to #93809)

thank you for your responses, it gives me some options to try, I thought about just putting in ear plugs, but I am a little cautious to rely on something on or in my body for meditation. I also am going to get some house plants for my room, would that possible help to keep the air fresh even though the doors are sealed? also, first thing in the morning I open the window and air it out with a fan, for some fresh air, but then close it up whne I do yoga and meditate, due to cars driving down the street
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-09 4:17 PM (#93882 - in reply to #93871)

Yes Sir. As long as you get good amount for fresh air you are good. Plants do not always make air good. You can try Tulasi (basil) plant if you get good amount of Sun. I appreciate all the efforts you are making for a successful meditation.

Lastly, I would add this: Once you address your noise problem, do not think too much about it to make it perfect solution, go on with the meditation. Meditation is the solution to all noise: External and Internal. OM ShantiH.

tubeseeker - 2007-08-09 3:10 PM

thank you for your responses, it gives me some options to try, I thought about just putting in ear plugs, but I am a little cautious to rely on something on or in my body for meditation. I also am going to get some house plants for my room, would that possible help to keep the air fresh even though the doors are sealed? also, first thing in the morning I open the window and air it out with a fan, for some fresh air, but then close it up whne I do yoga and meditate, due to cars driving down the street
tiary
Posted 2007-08-10 3:04 AM (#93894 - in reply to #93809)

hiya, well yes there are methods to get rid of the sound of the irritating tv. however i think a good thing to try, is perhaps sit with the sound of the faint tv. as you say when you meditate you can hear the sound of the tv. well allow the sound to be. dont fight it. just sit anyway. maintain your focus on your breath, and when you mind wanders off or gets irritated, or feels its just unfair that you have to put up with this meaningless noise, just be aware of that judging mind. sit with the noise like you sit with your impatience, the pain in your knees, etc. Be aware, be kind to the presense of the noise. it is an aspect of your life, so accept it and do what you intend to do anyway. meditate. Interestingly if you change your relationship with the noise you might be surprised how little it bothers you. happy meditating
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-10 5:02 AM (#93895 - in reply to #93894)

'Er ask the person with the TV if they mind turning it off for an hour? Or buy them headphones?

Fee
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-10 9:47 AM (#93909 - in reply to #93894)

Thank you very much for this fantastic statement.

tiary - 2007-08-10 3:04 AM
Interestingly if you change your relationship with the noise you might be surprised how little it bothers you. happy meditating
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-08-10 9:01 PM (#93966 - in reply to #93809)

and even more usefull insight, thank you very much fellow seekers
I have always thought that when you find God in a noisy city, amidst all the distractions, you have truly found God and know God well,
the journey continues
seeker
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-11 4:44 PM (#94011 - in reply to #93966)

Expert Yogi

Regardless of noise or not, it's still nice to meditate in nature where the earth is quiet and still. The Tibetan monks go inside caves and underground for days, weeks and sometimes months. There are so many aspects and levels to the human mind. It really depends upon what you are trying to accomplish, the meditation practice (there are thousands of variations from various lineages and sects) and most importantly, the instructions from your guru. Best wishes.

Posted 2007-08-11 7:47 PM (#94013 - in reply to #93894)

tiary - 2007-08-10 3:04 AM
Be aware, be kind to the presense of the noise. it is an aspect of your life, so accept it and do what you intend to do anyway. meditate. Interestingly if you change your relationship with the noise you might be surprised how little it bothers you. happy meditating.

tiary,
I would also like to thank you for your insightful answer.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-11 11:28 PM (#94020 - in reply to #94011)

Yes, I agree. There is no need to particularly going into a noisy place and practice. In fact intially, one must practice in noiseless place as far as possible. And, when one is sure, the place will not matter.

Cyndi - 2007-08-11 4:44 PM

Regardless of noise or not, it's still nice to meditate in nature where the earth is quiet and still. The Tibetan monks go inside caves and underground for days, weeks and sometimes months. There are so many aspects and levels to the human mind. It really depends upon what you are trying to accomplish, the meditation practice (there are thousands of variations from various lineages and sects) and most importantly, the instructions from your guru. Best wishes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)