YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

It's for Ourselves
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

Ravi
Posted 2007-08-06 2:42 PM (#93638)
Subject: It's for Ourselves

It's for Ourselves

I love the story about A.J. Muste, who, during the Vietnam war, stood in front of the White House night after night with a candle-sometimes alone. A reporter interviewed him one evening as he stood there in the rain. "Mr. Muste," the reporter said, "do you really think you are going to change the politics of this country by standing out here alone at night with a candle?" A.J. responded, "Oh, I don't do this to change the country. I do this so the country doesn't change me." -Andrea Ayvazian

Practicing kindness is first and foremost for ourselves. It is for keeping our souls supple and our hearts wide open so that, rich or poor, wherever we find ourselves, we stay tender, compassionate, and sensitive.

If our lives are tough, why should we add more pain to them by our attitudes? We can choose how we respond to the difficulties in life. We can either see them as a measure of how rotten the world is, or allow the very challenges we encounter to remind us to have compassion for ourselves and those we meet on our path, for they too are struggling.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ankali
Posted 2007-08-07 5:37 AM (#93672 - in reply to #93638)
Subject: RE: It's for Ourselves

very inspiring, thanks a lot for sharing !
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-07 1:26 PM (#93692 - in reply to #93638)

Yes.

Thanks Ravi.

Jonathon

Posted 2007-08-07 2:28 PM (#93698 - in reply to #93638)

I debated about replying because I don't want to offend Ravi or others who concur with the lesson in living described in the paragraph. Of course there's a "but."

I don't embrace Muste's sentiment nor see the value to mankind by standing in inaction. It's not that stance that ended our involvement in Viet Nam nor will that demeanor protect us from the current Islamic extremist threat. I'm fortunate Muste wasn't in my hooch in Viet Nam or other locations.
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-07 2:39 PM (#93700 - in reply to #93638)

You were in Vietnam Bruce?

It's funny, but I always forget you were a soldier and see you as a Yogi.

Jonathon
GreenJello
Posted 2007-08-07 3:22 PM (#93701 - in reply to #93698)

Bruce - 2007-08-07 2:28 PM
I don't embrace Muste's sentiment nor see the value to mankind by standing in inaction.

Okay, I must be missing something. Muste is standing out in the rain and and cold, night after night, doing something that he believes in. I don't see this as inaction. Inaction would be staying at home. Instead this appears to be action against something he doesn't believe in, alone.

It's not that stance that ended our involvement in Viet Nam nor will that demeanor protect us from the current Islamic extremist threat. I'm fortunate Muste wasn't in my hooch in Viet Nam or other locations.

Probably, it's hard to get a pacifistic to take up arms. Definitely not a good thing to have in a trench, taking up space.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-07 5:00 PM (#93708 - in reply to #93701)

Expert Yogi

I'm trying to remain relaxed and calm here. BB, you know I love you sooo much,

This is why we have Warriors or Soldiers.....and why we have Brahmins. They are 2 different castes and there is a dam good reason for it.

BB, I know you are a warrior.....one of these days, after you become Master Yogi Bruce, not YogiBruce, but MYB, then you'll for sure have to denounce your warrior status,
joscmt
Posted 2007-08-07 9:32 PM (#93720 - in reply to #93638)

Ravi- that's great! I like it..

We have a saying in my 12-step about keeping our own sides of the street clean. Meaning that if something goes wrong, or if someone mistreats you.. do what you believe in your heart is right. Maintain your dignity and don't stoop to their level- hold up your end of the bargain. That way, you take control of your behavior and actions-- and they are no longer simply reactions.
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-07 11:33 PM (#93728 - in reply to #93638)

Sleeping on it, I agree with with Bruce and think so would Gandhi.

Jonathon
Ravi
Posted 2007-08-08 8:33 AM (#93748 - in reply to #93698)

Bruce - 2007-08-07 2:28 PM   Of course there's a "but." I don't embrace Muste's sentiment nor see the value to mankind by standing in inaction. It's not that stance that ended our involvement in Viet Nam nor will that demeanor protect us from the current Islamic extremist threat.

The teachings of the Bhagavad Gita is that of action through inaction........He who sees inaction in action, and action in inaction, is wise among men, he is a yogi and he is the man who accomplishes everything. We see that some people are acting all the time and others are doing nothing, and we tend to think that maybe one is doing everything. But Lord Krishna said that this is not true: that when a person appears to be doing everything it does not mean that he, indeed, does; the person who appears to be doing nothing might be the person who is really doing everything.

When we look at it in practical terms, we find there are people who say: "I am doing this, I am doing that"; they seem very busy all the time and never have time for anything, while others may not say anything at all but have time for everything, and therefore do something all the time.

When we do not think we are doing something - just doing things for the sake of doing - being unattached, the ego is not there. The ego is at play when we think we are doing everything, as if the world will not exist without us.

Lord Krishna said he is a yogi who does not boast, who works silently without feeling he is doing anything or is not aware that he is doing anything, who has time to do things. He is the one who is creative, he is the one who lays a brick and that brick will grow. But the other will always pull down the brick, or may put it somewhere else, always in the wrong place, never getting anywhere. The yogi, as Lord Krishna said, is the accomplisher of everything, the real doer, even though one may not see what he is doing.

The one who is attached to the fruits of action, thinking he is doing everything, is just winding himself up. The one whose actions are devoid of design and desire for results, and whose actions are all burned by the fire of wisdom, the sages call a 'wise man.'

Posted 2007-08-08 9:16 AM (#93756 - in reply to #93638)

Certainly agree with that Ravi. Of course another but...in the example, Muste ain't doing jack--simply retreating into himself to ward off his external evils.
Ravi
Posted 2007-08-08 9:53 AM (#93759 - in reply to #93756)

Bruce - 2007-08-08 9:16 AM Certainly agree with that Ravi. Of course another but...in the example, Muste ain't doing jack--simply retreating into himself to ward off his external evils.
Or is he standing in front of the White House night after night with the candle to ward off his internal evil(s), in the essence of not accepting the standard quo of his times. He stood as a silent reminder to himself and others.......... just food for thought, not trying to invoke anything but healthy discussion as I understand your viewpoint also.

Buddha had always said that there were three truths..... my truth, your truth, and absolute truth......

Mucho Metta,

Ravi

tourist
Posted 2007-08-08 10:29 AM (#93763 - in reply to #93759)

Expert Yogi

And then there is dharma. Before yoga I used to look at the work I do and wonder how I knew I was doing the right thing with my life. My test was a desert island scenario - if I were stranded with a bunch of people where everyone's work was needed to survive, what would I choose to do to help? Probably I would do exactly what I do now - look after the children while others did what they needed to do. Cyndi would gather food (and with luck, honey, ) Bruce would ward off predators, Shelly would take care of clothing needs, etc. After basic needs are met, we go to a second layer - I would likely start writing down the story of the group, Neel would teach us to chant, and the guy with the candle would probably keep his vigil. Its what he needs to do and should do. Bruce doesn't want him on the protection team and I probably don't want him helping with the kids, but we do need him there as a group to remind us to hope.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-08 10:43 AM (#93765 - in reply to #93763)

Expert Yogi

You bet ya Tourist, I'd find all those honeybees. Although.....

I'm not so sure ya'll will want me for gathering food...because, I just harvested some Sourwood honey. After spending all day yesterday extracting and eating it, I really am having a hard time letting it go out the door. This year's Sourwood crop is the very best one that we've had in many, many years. All the old timers say this year's crop is pure 100% Sourwood, which is not an easy task. There's an art to the timing of flows here because we have sooo much blooming, especially this time of year. I'm so glad that honey gets better as it ages,

I got a few tomatoes I'll share though,

Posted 2007-08-08 10:43 AM (#93766 - in reply to #93638)

Lovely thought process Glenda; however, I would like Muste on the protection team--his candle would draw fire and divert the enemy so I could sneak up on 'em.
Ravi
Posted 2007-08-08 11:14 AM (#93769 - in reply to #93763)

tourist - 2007-08-08 10:29 AM And then there is dharma. Before yoga I used to look at the work I do and wonder how I knew I was doing the right thing with my life. My test was a desert island scenario - if I were stranded with a bunch of people where everyone's work was needed to survive, what would I choose to do to help? Probably I would do exactly what I do now - look after the children while others did what they needed to do. Cyndi would gather food (and with luck, honey, ) Bruce would ward off predators, Shelly would take care of clothing needs, etc. After basic needs are met, we go to a second layer - I would likely start writing down the story of the group, Neel would teach us to chant, and the guy with the candle would probably keep his vigil. Its what he needs to do and should do. Bruce doesn't want him on the protection team and I probably don't want him helping with the kids, but we do need him there as a group to remind us to hope.
Very, very, wisely put........... couldn't have said it better myself
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-08 1:44 PM (#93779 - in reply to #93638)

Ravi - 2007-08-07 10:42 PM

"Oh, I don't do this to change the country. I do this so the country doesn't change me

Here is an interesting story from the BBC news today about a man who chose to do the right thing even though it meant defending the 'enemy' over his buddies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6930197.stm

I've been thinking what I would have done in his position.

Jonathon
joscmt
Posted 2007-08-08 10:04 PM (#93816 - in reply to #93638)

Glenda and Cyndi- I'll take over the food collection, harvest, and cooking. Maybe this Muste guy will lend me some fire from his candle to whip up a good meal! Cyndi- maybe you'll just lend me a little honey to make tasty little desserts...

Edited by joscmt 2007-08-08 10:04 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-08 10:37 PM (#93819 - in reply to #93816)

Expert Yogi

joscmt - 2007-08-08 10:04 PM

Glenda and Cyndi- I'll take over the food collection, harvest, and cooking. Maybe this Muste guy will lend me some fire from his candle to whip up a good meal! Cyndi- maybe you'll just lend me a little honey to make tasty little desserts...

What is this??? You trying to take my job away???!!!!

I know, you want me to do all the hard labor work.... gardening and the beekeeping, so you can harvest and do all the cooking.....otherwords......the fun stuff. Spoken like a true Chef Marylisa,

You know, I have some chef in me too....and don't forget we also gotta deal with Zoebird...miss healthy and all....you know,....NO cool whip, ZB to the rescue....to keep us on our toes,

Posted 2007-08-08 10:55 PM (#93824 - in reply to #93638)

And of course there has to be the breeders...
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-09 7:51 AM (#93835 - in reply to #93638)

Yay, thank you tourist for remembering me. You'll get an extra fine set of clothing for that!
tourist
Posted 2007-08-09 11:12 AM (#93849 - in reply to #93835)

Expert Yogi

Thanks Shelly! No black and make the pant legs short enough for my stubby little legs, eh? I have spent part of each of the last 3 days hemming new pants for work in Sept. Even the "petite" ones!
GreenJello
Posted 2007-08-09 1:09 PM (#93862 - in reply to #93824)

Bruce - 2007-08-08 10:55 PM

And of course there has to be the breeders...

Oh oh! I want THAT job! I'm totally available for breeding....
Nick
Posted 2007-08-09 2:00 PM (#93864 - in reply to #93862)

Hi GJ,
Very good of you to put your best foot forward! Or should it be 'put your best limb forwards'?

Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-08-09 2:01 PM (#93867 - in reply to #93862)

Sorry about that-so good I had to say it three times I was crashing.

Nick

Edited by Nick 2007-08-09 2:03 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)