YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is God
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

tweeva
Posted 2007-09-27 11:07 AM (#97073 - in reply to #97055)
Subject: RE: What is God

Veteran

kulkarnn - 2007-09-25 2:14 PM

The term prison and door is not necessary in my explanation. It is taken due to the usage of the term Prison by Mellish. So, let us leave aside these two terms now. And, call these two terms by one term "Methodology". What I am saying is:

- Methodology evolves out of Context, Geography, Culture, as well as Philosophy. For example: Suppose one particular religion evolves out of a personality which helped the people out of oppression. The teachings of that religious Methodology shall have lot of elements related to the removal of oppression. That particular element may not be applicable to another place where the oppression does not exist.

- There are some universal truths. These may or may not be present in all the methodologies.

- There are some Universal B.S.s. And, these should not be present in any Methodology. For example, there should be NO methodology where an 18 year old young girl should marry 70 year old man.

- So, all methodologies are needed depeneding on the context and needs.

- However, to state: It may be better to come at this via Buddhist thought is WRONG.

Ok. I can easily relate to the term Methodology
My attitude towards all Methodologies is that they are valuable as a "means to an end" (corresponding to your statement "So, all methodologies are needed depeneding on the context and needs.").
However many people become so passionate about the Methodology itself (often when those people excel in knowledge about the M.), that they forget the underlying message, the motive, purpose, "le raison d'etre" of the M. and refuse to let it go.

BTW: I personally prefer the analogy of a "labyrinth" over a "prison".

Tw
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-27 12:19 PM (#97084 - in reply to #97073)

I understand and also somewhat agree with what you are saying. As I see it:

- yes Methodologies are means to an End. And, after an End is achieved one may or may not cling to a methodology

- those who reach the End, do stay with Methodology to set an example to others who have not reached the End. This is because, there are more who think they do not need to do anything as End is Virtually There.

- those who really reach the End, never cling to their Methodology and undermine other's Methodology, unless of course the other Methodology is truely wrong.

- if any methodology tries to undermine another one, and that another one thinks that their methodology is correct, they should point out this mistake and state why their Methodology is correct.

- In a social context, Methodology (which as you said correctly, a means to an End in a Philosophical as well as practical way) and End merge. And, this is inevitable. That is because for those who have not yet established themselves in the End, they know that their ideals who are in the End have followed a certain Methodology and they believe that the same Methodology shall lead them to the End. This is called Classical Literature.

- For example, those who see BKS Iyengar doing perfect backbends (I am taking this example only because it is immediately understandable by anyone without knowing Philosophy. But, I actually do NOT mean to emphasize Asana exercise.) definitely believe that if they do the practice indicated by him or as done by him, they shall get the same backbend. Though, actually, there are various ways to get there. Now, if someone comes and tells them: BTW: Why to practice that way. Backbend is backbend. Just focus on back or some other way... Let us say a NONBKS Method. Then, they are going to ........you know what I mean.

- However, I completely agree with you that if someone clings to only one way of doing Backbends, they shall be ignorant of other ways. And, also if one clings only to backbends, they shall be stuck at that only and not go beyond. And, they shall not know what other ways are to do the backbends. ETC.

- But, lastly, if one reaches perfect Back Bends and also go beyond them, one may continue to practice them with their old methodology to set example to others. This is called Teaching.

Peace

tweeva - 2007-09-27 11:07 AM
Ok. I can easily relate to the term Methodology
My attitude towards all Methodologies is that they are valuable as a "means to an end" (corresponding to your statement "So, all methodologies are needed depeneding on the context and needs."). However many people become so passionate about the Methodology itself (often when those people excel in knowledge about the M.), that they forget the underlying message, the motive, purpose, "le raison d'etre" of the M. and refuse to let it go.
BTW: I personally prefer the analogy of a "labyrinth" over a "prison".

Tw
tweeva
Posted 2007-09-28 3:48 AM (#97115 - in reply to #97084)

Veteran

Thank you for this wise reply, Neel.
Tw

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)