YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need some suggestions
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

kkcarlton
Posted 2007-08-04 8:58 AM (#93462)
Subject: Need some suggestions

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I used to do Astanga Yoga several years ago and then stopped for a while. I picked it back up about 2 months ago but have been doing mostly power yoga at home and have been taking some classes, too, to make sure my alignment and poses are correct. I would now like to get some VHS tapes or DVDs to practice at home because I can't afford to keep taking classes and was hoping that someone her could recommend a few. I would say I am at a beginner/intermediate level and I really like the triangle poses. This may sound strange, but I feel that all the warrier poses make my quads bulky especially if they are held for a long time. And what I really want is for my legs to be leaner. However, as far as i understand and remember, none of the poses are really held all that long in Astanga - is that correct?

Anyway, any ideas and suggestions you can give me are much appreciated.

Anybody here do Astanga and also lift weights? I lift weights but am thinking about just focusing on Yoga and cardios for a while.

TIA,
Kristina
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-04 9:25 AM (#93464 - in reply to #93462)
Subject: RE: Need some suggestions

Hi Kristina,

Welcome to the forum.

In my opinion, the best Ashtanga dvds available are David Swenson's. You may want to begin by ordering his primary series DVD and book.

The length of time held in a specific pose is based on how many breaths that you take.

When my teacher started practising, it was 12 breaths though when I started it was 8 breaths. Now we are told it is 5 breaths.

Each breath should be long and slow with equal inhalation and exhalation.

Jonathon

Posted 2007-08-06 10:09 AM (#93596 - in reply to #93462)

Johnnie,

Just curious - do they talk about the length of breath? Some teachers I study with (Krishnamacharya/Desikachar lineage) emphasize lengthening the breath. With at least a 5 second exhale/ and 5 second inhale. Makes for a maximum of 6 breaths a minute.

I've asked ashtangi's before about the length of the breath - but noone had an answer.

Just wondering.
Vic
TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-06 10:34 AM (#93602 - in reply to #93596)

Ashtanga breath is about the same length.

Bacially you want to set a pace for the breath and keep the same pace for the entire practice.

If you can keep 5 second inhale and 5 second exhale through the whole series, that would be great. If you can not. Try 3 second in, 3 second out.
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-06 12:42 PM (#93626 - in reply to #93462)

victw - 2007-08-07 6:09 PM

Johnnie,

Just curious - do they talk about the length of breath? Some teachers I study with (Krishnamacharya/Desikachar lineage) emphasize lengthening the breath. With at least a 5 second exhale/ and 5 second inhale. Makes for a maximum of 6 breaths a minute.

I've asked ashtangi's before about the length of the breath - but noone had an answer.

Just wondering.
Vic

Hi Vic,

I was orginally taught that the breath should be between 5-8 seconds.

It more important though to ensure that you are breathing with ujjayi and that the inhalation and exhalation are of equal length.

Even completing the practise with a 5 second breath is a challenge though

Jonathon
TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-06 12:59 PM (#93629 - in reply to #93626)

My students would lose it if I tried to teach that slow.

Richard Freeman's breath count is very slow.

I think that led classes should be more 3-5 count. If you are trying to finish in 1 1/2 hour.

Mysore style could be whatever..

jonnie
Posted 2007-08-06 11:30 PM (#93657 - in reply to #93462)

Yes, the 5-8 breaths would be the ideal for a strong self practise or Mysore style class.

I would think that 4 breaths would be ideal for the pace of a led class or a beginner in a Mysore style class.

Jonathon
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)