YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Make Each Day Count
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Ravi
Posted 2007-08-02 10:25 AM (#93278)
Subject: Make Each Day Count

Make Each Day Count

I want to convince you that you must learn to make every act count, since you are going to be here for only a short while - Don Juan

Have you ever met someone who has had a near-death experience or a life threatening illness? Usually, they are filled with more love, compassion, and joie de vivre than the ordinary person. There seems to be something about a close brush with death that creates an awareness of the preciousness of each day, of loved ones, and of life itself.
We don't have to almost die to learn to make every day count. We can each learn to live as if this is the only day we will have- for it might be; we never know. We can offer the loving words, the giant hug, the soulful glance we would give if this were our last day on Earth. For even if we are still here tomorrow (and chances are pretty good we will be), only good will have been done by offering our love today.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-08-02 12:16 PM (#93281 - in reply to #93278)
Subject: RE: Make Each Day Count

So true!!

Since the past is only an incomplete memory and the future is just the projection of our hopes and fears, the present is really all there is. Although the past and the future are important for making a living and doing the many things that we must do, truth, reality, love, creativity or whatever can only be in the present. I think that this concept is at the root of Yoga. I view Yogasana and Pranayama as a method to keep your equipment in good working order, but more importantly as practice in being really aware, right here, right now. I view Meditation as being totally in the present moment, being truly aware in that present moment, no matter whether we are sitting, walking, asanaing, working, eating or whatever. I think that there is often too much importance given to doing Yoga asanas a certain way and not enough importance given to the reason that we are doing the poses in the first place. We practice Yoga. What are we practicing for?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-02 12:54 PM (#93292 - in reply to #93278)

Hey Ravi:
Please correct me if I am wrong. Your post is talking about making the most of life by focussing on the present time. jimb's post is talking about living in the presence. I am feeling that these are two different things, though there may be some overlap. Please clarify further.

Posted 2007-08-02 1:28 PM (#93303 - in reply to #93292)

Neel,
In my post, I am talking about living in the present moment, not about living in the presence. If you meant present and not presence (typos happen), in what ways do you see "focussing on the present time" as different than "living in the present moment?"
Thanks,
Jim
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-02 1:53 PM (#93310 - in reply to #93292)

Swami Sivananda taught his students to both focus on the present moment and to live in the presence (of God).

He used Advaita Vedanta philosophy as well as Bakhti and karma Yoga to achieve this.

Jonathon
Ravi
Posted 2007-08-02 2:17 PM (#93313 - in reply to #93278)

Om Namah Sivaya Jonnie! That is it! To live in the present moment while always in the presence (of God)

The two I feel are always interconnected........ how could one not be in the presence when present in the moment........ the beauty that surrounds you  

Edited by Ravi 2007-08-02 2:19 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-02 5:23 PM (#93336 - in reply to #93313)

OM Ravi: Please answer my query. jimg is right that I used his wording wrongly. I did understand that he meant 'present moment', but I wrote 'presence' due to my Indian English. Anyway, consering Ravi's living in the present time to make most of it and jimg's living in the present moment sound different to me. I think the original post had to do with attiude on life to make most of it today. Whereas jimg's response was about living in the present moment as an awareness. Please clarify.

And, Jonniebhai now connected advaita with bhakti and all, which is great. But, my query is in response to the original post.

Peace

Ravi - 2007-08-02 2:17 PM

Om Namah Sivaya Jonnie! That is it! To live in the present moment while always in the presence (of God)

The two I feel are always interconnected........ how could one not be in the presence when present in the moment........ the beauty that surrounds you  

Ravi
Posted 2007-08-02 5:50 PM (#93339 - in reply to #93278)

Om Neelji,

What speaks to me from the passage is this, I think as on a whole "we" tend to forget our own morality.

For example; I have mentioned this story once before some time ago. Many years ago I had a employment opportunity in Manhattan which would require me to be away from home all week, returning on the weekends ( I live 4 hours away).

My companion at the time had expressed her interest in obtaining employment at her old employer Aon, which was at the World Trade Center, and then we would find an apartment, and we could be together all week and return to our "home" on the weekends. All went well for several months, but soon my ego got the best of me as I developed a complex thinking I wasn't good enough for her, as she was surrounded by coworkers who were filthy rich and good looking. Long story short we seperated which was not good, many bad and cruel things were said that shouldn't of been said.......... we had known each other all through middle and high school.

Several months later, the towers were attacked and Michelle was killed. I never had the opportunity to apologize Neelji

I had always been raised to never say anything unless it was nice, because you'd never know if you could ever take it back.........

because of this, I cherish each and every relationship I have today, I don't take for granted that I can fix tomorrow what I undid today, because tomorrow doesn't always come............. and we each have a job here to do........

to me; to live in the present is to be in the presence......... 

does this make sense to you?

Mucho Metta,

Ravi

Edited by Ravi 2007-08-02 5:51 PM

Posted 2007-08-02 7:28 PM (#93345 - in reply to #93336)

kulkarnn - 2007-08-02 5:23 PM

Anyway, consering Ravi's living in the present time to make most of it and jimg's living in the present moment sound different to me. I think the original post had to do with attiude on life to make most of it today. Whereas jimg's response was about living in the present moment as an awareness.

I think that there is a difference in tone between the two concepts but that they are also inter-related.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-02 10:25 PM (#93352 - in reply to #93278)

Ravi: Thanks and appreciation for sharing a very valuable story. I am sure Michelle is in great peace. And, I am sure you shall be doing well with your present Michelle. I like your explanation and your logic of making max of each day. Anyway, interestingly, the past experience was your teacher for the present logic.
Ravi
Posted 2007-08-03 8:46 AM (#93383 - in reply to #93278)

I have made my peace with my late friend............. it was her who helped bring me onto this path.......... I will always be indebted.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-03 11:32 AM (#93407 - in reply to #93278)

Ravi, I've been reading along and wanted to share how your post related to myself initially. As a quilt maker I always thought I could continue to make quilts into old age, and I had lots of time to finish all the projects I could imaging. So I was taking my time, not getting a whole lot done. Then I had a problem with my eyesight. Thankfully that crisis is over. My eyesight will never be what it was before, but my appreciation of it is greater than ever, and the quilts are moving along at a more acceptable rate. Thank you for the inspirational words, Shelly
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-03 11:57 AM (#93413 - in reply to #93407)

bstqltmkr - 2007-08-04 7:32 PM

My eyesight will never be what it was before, but my appreciation of it is greater than ever, and the quilts are moving along at a more acceptable rate.

..and we've all seen the photos of your beautiful quilts online

How are your two friends? I miss reading about all your adventures.

Jonathon
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-04 10:16 AM (#93468 - in reply to #93278)

Thank you Jonathan, I wasn't fishing for compliments, but thank you. And my friends are well, I'll be sure pass on greetings from you, Shelly
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)