YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

All caffeines created equal?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

belle vie
Posted 2007-07-29 9:31 AM (#92892)
Subject: All caffeines created equal?

Veteran

Is there a difference between the caffeine in coffee and that in tea? In France the "caffeine" in teas is call 'teteine" and is considered to be a very different "chemical"? from caffeine. Is one "better" for you than the other? Decaffinated coffee and or tea (deteteinne), are these less toxic or do they present differrent problems.

I drink very little of either coffee or tea. One cup 3/4 decafe in the morning, maybe twice a week a cup of regular black tea. I have never liked green tea or French herbal teas.

Maybe every three months I have a French cafe (you know those tiny cups of really strong tasting stuff) or a cup of tea when I go shopping. I notice a great difference in my mental and physical state between the two. After a cafe I feel tense, sometimes dizzy, and usually irritable. With tea, at first I feel very relaxed, then happy and energized. Is this difference me or them?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ankali
Posted 2007-07-29 10:50 AM (#92903 - in reply to #92892)
Subject: RE: All caffeines created equa

I think what we call "théine" and caffeine are actually the same molecule.
The difference is in the concentration. Also, in tea, the tannins slow down caffeine's diffusion, that's why the effect of tea is softer and gradual.
belle vie
Posted 2007-07-29 11:35 AM (#92904 - in reply to #92892)

Veteran

Thank-you ankali. The tannins slowing down the theine certainly could explain the differences in my sensations. I had heard, however , that tea actually contained more theine than coffee caffeine. Also ,are the "bad "effects in the tea the same as the "bad" effects in coffee, just more gradual?

I have also noticed that different brands of coffees contain differing amount of caffeine although caffeine amounts are never listed on the packaging. This could cause some people very serious problems.
ankali
Posted 2007-07-29 12:18 PM (#92905 - in reply to #92892)

I've read than tea leaves contain more caffeine but you use less tea per cup... so on average:
- one cup of coffee: 100-150 mg of caffeine
- one cup of tea: 60-70 mg
- one can of coke: 40-50 mg
- one cup of decaf: 1-5 mg

Robustas have more caffeine than arabicas.
Also it is very easy to have decaf tea, just discard the first brew.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-29 2:30 PM (#92913 - in reply to #92892)
Subject: RE: All caffeines created equal?

Tea and Coffee contain slightly different materials. As far as health is concerned both are BAD. As for recreation, one or both are good depending on the person. I love both of them. Also, coffee is worse than tea in terms of poison, but it is better in terms of smell. I think, personally, taste of tea is better than coffee.

If one is not addicted already, they should not start this journey.

If one is addicted, go slow on this journey. Enjoy, but sparingly.

If one is mildly addicted, give up this journey.

jonnie
Posted 2007-07-30 4:57 AM (#92955 - in reply to #92892)

Everything you ever wanted to know about caffeine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

Remember it is found in cola based drinks and chocolate as well

Jonathon
SCThornley
Posted 2007-07-30 9:48 AM (#92981 - in reply to #92892)

THIS IS WHERE YOU GO TO LEARN ALL YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT COFFEE

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.greencoffee.mvc.shtml

I absolutely love coffee.

I'm an ultra premium coffee lover. I roast my own, grind my own, brew my own.....I apply a lot of my obsessive compulsive energies to a mastery of a good cup of espresso or coffee. The rest of the obsessive compulsive energies I try to apply to a mastery of myself.

Good coffee is nothing like the coffee available on the open market at any commercial coffee shop or 'Starbucks'............open market coffee is always nasty.

The coffee I brew at home in the morning is always good.

I don't drink nearly as much as I did even three years ago.....but I still like coffee, arabica, normally peaberry, washed, dry processed or miel cured, I like it when it is properly prepared.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.greencoffee.mvc.shtml is an awesome place to find the very best coffee that is available on the Global market, nowhere else even comes close.

All other coffee that I've had since I learned about http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.greencoffee.mvc.shtml and made my own
tastes like nasty sewage water.

All coffees are not created equal, neither are the teas, neither are any other types of ingestible foods or drinks.

QUALITY is a very hard to find consumable, and once you know the difference between QUALITY and what everyone else settles for you simply can not settle for inferior life.

That's kinda what Yoga has done for living, because once you really are conscious how could you possibly go back?
belle vie
Posted 2007-07-30 11:45 AM (#92994 - in reply to #92892)

Veteran

Hello to all and thanks for all the input. I will have to get back to this tomorrow, I've been out all day, not drinking coffee, ;-) and now have a bunch of life to catch up on. Then I can relax, read all this info and try to comment, thanks again.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-07-30 11:57 AM (#92995 - in reply to #92994)

Could someone please fit SCT with dampeners? All those jitters are making my monitor shake :-)

Fee
libragirl
Posted 2007-07-30 1:26 PM (#93005 - in reply to #92892)

I am absolutely amazed Starbucks is able to stay in business. They overcharge for terrible coffee. Recently I went to a local tea house and had the best cup of chai I've ever tasted in my life. It was perfectly spicy, and lightly sweet--not nearly as sugary as Starbucks and the like. I don't think I can ever go back!

I know, I know...I'm waiting for all the posts about how bad caffeine is for you, but I try to live in moderation of all things. A friend once told me how much she cherished the ritual of her morning cup of coffee, then proceeded to tell me she was trying to give it up. Now I understand if you're drinking 4 or 5 cups of coffee a day, but if that one little pleasure gets you through, it doesn't seem worth worrying about or denying yourself.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-07-30 1:57 PM (#93007 - in reply to #92892)

agreed

and I don't don't have 4 or 5 cups

at most it's 2

but those are 2 of the best cups of coffee you could ever possibly have in this lifetime.
tourist
Posted 2007-07-30 2:40 PM (#93010 - in reply to #93007)

Expert Yogi

I need more hours in my day By the time I learn t keep bees like Cyndi and roast coffee like SCT and continue to make clothes and find time to practice..... The coffee does sound good, though We do have a local small roastery and we know the owners because DD used to work there. I wonder if they would do a custom roast?
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-30 3:19 PM (#93012 - in reply to #93005)

Expert Yogi

libragirl - 2007-07-30 1:26 PM

I am absolutely amazed Starbucks is able to stay in business. They overcharge for terrible coffee. Recently I went to a local tea house and had the best cup of chai I've ever tasted in my life. It was perfectly spicy, and lightly sweet--not nearly as sugary as Starbucks and the like. I don't think I can ever go back!

Hey Libragirl,

Wow!! I was just having this conversation with my husband 2 nights ago about Starbucks. I've been on the road the past week having to drink Starbucks because of no choice...(can you believe they have Starbucks in hospitals now???), anyway, every time me and DD wanted Chai or coffee...$12 bucks...and you know how I love my chai...it was very expenisive and totally not worth it!!

Yea, I too have had the same experience with my local little coffee shop with the Chai. I drink mostly chai too.

If you ever get the chance...try the Big Train Chai...my favorite is Vanilla. Second choice is Raspberry...it's heavenly and I drink mine with Soy Milk,
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-30 3:28 PM (#93013 - in reply to #92955)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/govindakai/950557743/in/set-72157601100278151/

Here's all I need to see....
ankali
Posted 2007-07-30 7:04 PM (#93015 - in reply to #92892)

Agreed, all coffees are not created equal...
Unfortunately, even bad coffees can smell nice !
Coffee is my last addiction (that I'm periodically trying to stop). I'm sometimes lured by the smell of bad coffee (at my workplace for example) and get disappointed as soon as I drink it, maybe I'm on my way to freedom
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-30 7:51 PM (#93016 - in reply to #93015)

Expert Yogi

ankali - 2007-07-30 7:04 PM

I'm sometimes lured by the smell of bad coffee (at my workplace for example) and get disappointed as soon as I drink it, maybe I'm on my way to freedom

That's why we have half and half cream and HONEY...to make our coffee tastes good,

But, if you're trying to quit...delete what I just said,

Or better yet...just drink Chai and forget about it,
ankali
Posted 2007-07-31 3:36 AM (#93027 - in reply to #92892)

Honey is a great idea !
I'll pass on cream, as the only dairy product I truly enjoy is cheese (sounds like a cliche for a French woman but I love my cheese !) and I don't think it works with coffee
I love tea too ! Just plain green tea....
belle vie
Posted 2007-07-31 10:19 AM (#93044 - in reply to #92892)

Veteran

Well, this is more than I want to know maybe . But it's not so much what you know as that you know where to find it so I've got several resources for the ultimate coffee truth. The little girl in tampa's photos is adorable. She reminds me of my daughter, but then all adorable children remind me of my daughter, including jonnie's and he's a boy

Ankali, its nice to know there is another person in France on the forum. We'll have to team up. I lived in Paris for several years and now near Montpellier. I really enjoyed Paris but as an American colleague pointed out we were so busy "schlepping" from teaching one lecture to the next in order to earn enough money to live in Paris that we had no time to enjoy all the things we came for in the first place

I have the time now but I'm not in Paris although I do get back a couple times a year, particularly for LES SOLDES.

Honey in coffee is just great, I drink it that way all the time--but no cream or cheese in it. ;-) Cheese is reserved for special occasions. No Starbucks here in the provinces at least not yet. We have been spared some things.
tourist
Posted 2007-07-31 11:17 AM (#93059 - in reply to #93044)

Expert Yogi

The aroma of coffee is quite amazing, though I have seldom if ever found that it tastes as good as it smells, and I've had some pretty great coffee. The only thing that tastes exactly as good as it smells is bacon, IMHO.
ankali
Posted 2007-07-31 1:52 PM (#93090 - in reply to #92892)

belle_vie, I'm glad that you're enjoying life in this country.
Yep, Paris is great for those who can handle the crowd, who can afford to have fun here and also to get out of the big city every now and then. France is a very centralised country and a lot of us have to be here to earn our livings (until we find alternative ways maybe ).
Also, not enough yoga practitioners in France yet (compared to the US), but hopefully it will grow !
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)