YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga Nidra
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

susbarb1
Posted 2007-07-29 7:09 AM (#92883)
Subject: Yoga Nidra

How many practice yoga nidra before meditation?

Expereinces?

Techniques?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-29 10:33 AM (#92901 - in reply to #92883)
Subject: RE: Yoga Nidra

I practise Yoga Nidra, though as a separate practise to Meditation.

Jonathon
Neobrahman
Posted 2007-07-30 5:19 AM (#92957 - in reply to #92883)

How is it done?and for what purpose?
raquel
Posted 2007-07-30 5:47 AM (#92961 - in reply to #92883)

yoga nidra is more a relaxation technique, that helps you access the deeper layers of the mind, its done lying down, However it helps focus the mind very well. A fantastic book is - yoga nidra
Swami satyananada saraswati.
tmarques
Posted 2007-07-31 5:21 PM (#93104 - in reply to #92883)

Am I the only one who prefers non-led relaxation - for lack of a better term - to yoganidra? I always have to control myself not to laugh when a particularly creative teacher wants me to imagine I'm a dolphin or dancing in a field of sunflowers.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-01 6:17 AM (#93132 - in reply to #93104)

Never used either of those visualisations in yoga nidra myself *mind boggling*. We usually do a staged relaxation, taking each body part in turn. Techniques include imagining the them to be heavy and relaxed, flowing with light and relaxed, etc. Definately no Dolphins! Green fields and the like are used in visualisation relaxation / healing techniques but not Yoga Nidra as I understand it (I've practised Sivananda, Iyengar, and Satyamvida yogas).

Fee
tourist
Posted 2007-08-01 12:53 PM (#93168 - in reply to #93132)

Expert Yogi

TM - I dislike guided relaxation because the leader generally has no idea of what is relaxing to everyone finds relaxing. I love water images but dislike air images such as hot air balloons or flying. I actually had biofeedback once that showed me going literally cold all over when given an air image. I don't know anything about yoga nidra but I suspect it is often taught by inexperienced people using guided visualization. Yes, my bias is showing... Savasana is a whole other thing, and I would suspect it is useful prior to meditation as it is prior to pranayama.
tweeva
Posted 2007-08-02 6:03 AM (#93245 - in reply to #92883)

Veteran

Yes, I have practiced it on and off to some limited degree for some 25 years (since an age of 14), but only very recently found out it was practiced and called Yoga Nidra by yogis.
I practice it primarily (but not only then) just before going into a situation that might pose a lot of stress, if possible (eg I am a performing musician, and the moments before going on stage can be quite stressy). It can bring a deep relaxation as well as a clear focus afterwards (a firm mind).

As far as I know, it is in itself one of many meditation methods. You should ask your guru whether it is beneficial to complement it with other methods in one session. My guess is that one should stick to the method that fits, but this might depend on your motives.

The technique I initially used to go into "yogic sleep" is mainly the one which is described by Orbilia.
It can be a bit more challenging than meditations which are performed in an upright position because one very easily falls into "real sleep".

Tw

Edited by tweeva 2007-08-02 6:11 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)