YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Movie recommendations
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

tourist
Posted 2007-07-24 11:52 AM (#92419)
Subject: Movie recommendations

Expert Yogi

Two nice movies in a row! A real bonus to have decent movies with no blood, "action" etc.

"Sabah" - Canadian movie that you might find in your "foreign" section or if you have one, in a "festival selections" section. "Sabah is 40, single, an immigrant from Syria living in Toronto with her family, responsible for her mother's well-being. Since her father's death, her brother Majid has been the family authority. His niece doesn't want him choosing her husband, his marriage is rocky, but he insists on tradition. Sabah meets Stephen at a city swimming pool; they're attracted to each other. Because he's not a Muslim, Sabah hides their friendship from her family. Where can this relationship go? Can this family sort out its tensions?" - from IMDB

"Sweet Land" - "Inge, a German immigrant without proper papers arrives in Minnesota in 1920 to marry a Norwegian farmer she has never met. Inge doesn't speak English. Much of her dialogue in Sweet Land is in bursts of frustrated bits of Dutch and German, small bits of pique and spirit that are ridiculously endearing. Sweet Land tells her story: her awkward courtship and difficult entry into a small, religious community. The film begins and ends at the funeral of an old man, implying a long and happy life for the couple." from About.com Inge is played by Elizabeth Reaser (has been in Grey's Anatomy as Jane Doe, as well as the Sopranos and others). Olaf is played by Tim Guinee who has done a ton of TV stuff. It starts slowly and Mr. Tourist was not sure he would be able to stay awake for a slow, basically relationship movie, but it did keep his attention right to the end.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-24 2:33 PM (#92430 - in reply to #92419)
Subject: RE: Movie recommendations

Thanks very much.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-05 9:36 AM (#93521 - in reply to #92419)

Last night I watched a most excellent movie, so I'll recommend it. It's called Pan's Labrynth, and it's like a fairy tale only not for kids. It's occasionally violent, and kind of scary, but very interesting. It's also Spanish with subtitles, incase anyone doesn't like subtitles.
Nick
Posted 2007-08-05 11:59 AM (#93529 - in reply to #93521)

Hi Shelly,
That's on one of my 'must sees'

Nick
raquel
Posted 2007-08-06 5:35 AM (#93560 - in reply to #92419)

Has anyone seen - The slient warrior?
Ravi
Posted 2007-08-06 7:32 AM (#93563 - in reply to #92419)

I saw the Peaceful Warrior............. liked the book better, but was still a good movie
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-06 8:22 AM (#93579 - in reply to #92419)

I haven't been to the movies since the baby was born.

I did buy the new Keith Urban cd though, which is excellent.

Jonathon
raquel
Posted 2007-08-08 8:03 AM (#93747 - in reply to #92419)

Ravi
Thats what I meant peaceful warroir about the gymnast, im gonna watch it 2 nite, might but the book though is it really good?
Ravi
Posted 2007-08-08 9:07 AM (#93755 - in reply to #92419)

Movie is fantastic....book is awesome...... you can't go wrong either way!
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-08 10:50 PM (#93823 - in reply to #93521)

Expert Yogi

bstqltmkr - 2007-08-05 9:36 AM

Last night I watched a most excellent movie, so I'll recommend it. It's called Pan's Labrynth, and it's like a fairy tale only not for kids. It's occasionally violent, and kind of scary, but very interesting. It's also Spanish with subtitles, incase anyone doesn't like subtitles.

Shelly,

"Pan's Labrynth" is also mine and my daughter's favorite movie. Not only us...but my neice (age 15) and sister like it too. We all love this movie. I thought the subtitles were in English though?? Anyway, YES, YES, "Pan's Labrynth" is a wonderful movie.

Another good movie is "Labrynth" with David Bowie..that's another good one, but nothing like "Pan's Labrynth"...it's totally different.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-09 7:56 AM (#93836 - in reply to #92419)

Wasn't it great, more movies like this would be a good thing. I meant to say it was spanish speaking with english subtitles.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)