YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My son..
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Everything Else -> Generally OTMessage format

jonnie
Posted 2007-07-21 11:55 AM (#92112 - in reply to #91886)
Subject: RE: My son..

The Porucznik Rock TM

Edited by jonnie 2007-07-21 11:56 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-07-21 2:02 PM (#92121 - in reply to #92107)

Hi Jonathon,
Well, the way I like to look at it is this. I take the movement of the scapulae, and then amplify it into the movement of the whole arm. Sometimes, or quite often, in fact, students pull in their elbows too much, resulting in improper shoulder complex movements. You want to try to encourage medial rotation, depression, and retraction of the scapula. So in chaturanga dandasana you try to encourage the arm to go through a path of movement that is guided by the desired motion of the shoulder blade-and the same goes for this exercise-although variations can help.
The head tends to crane forwards in this exercise-make sure you don't let this happen. Bring the pelvis up to a point where you feel the abdomen brace, and hold this arc throughout the movement.
Also, I think it is much better to use loops on the end of your ropes-it encourages a better wrist action-don't know if you have attached loops or not.

Nick
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-21 2:11 PM (#92122 - in reply to #91886)

Cheers Nick,

That makes sense. I've just had my dinner though, so will try it again tomorrow.

My ropes have the standard thick knot joining the two ends but I had thought about investing in some hoops. I got an email from American Gymnast yesterday who are having a sale, so I'll check out their prices.

Jonathon
joscmt
Posted 2007-07-21 10:52 PM (#92144 - in reply to #91886)

I'm not paying you for the advice Nick... only if you set up a stand like Lucy from Peanuts..

So, what should a pregnant lady do to strengthen her arms enough to do this? Hanging from ropes and doing a pull- up is a definite no-no (not that I could do them if I weren't pregnant.. hahaha)
Actually, though, that is one of the few areas that was strong on me... from the pizza oven and rolling doughs. Although, I haven't been in the oven working for a bit now.. I'd have to get it back.
Nick
Posted 2007-07-22 2:29 AM (#92164 - in reply to #92144)

Hi Marylisa,
I don't think women should do this-I come from a chivalrous age where the husband steps in and does somethig to take the strain off the poor mum-this way, the couple is being brought closer together, by virtue of the male using the fact that he is stronger to make his partner's life easier. In an ideal world, you would be able to call some guy in off the street whenever you needed a hand-one day, perhaps
There is also the added worry of back pain-a woman's back can sometimes be in trouble after birth-doing this activity would not be good for an injured back-unless the core muscles are very strong (which remind me, Jonnie, brace your core).
I reckon kneeling on all fours is a great exercise position for the pregnant woman-it may help to rotate the foetus, you are using gravity to help strengthen the torso, various movments of the hips and shoulders will give strength and flexibilty in these regions too, you can learn to undulate the spine in tandem with the pelvis, so you kind of end up belly dancing on all fours-so when you are going through labour, you can use these movements as a kind of natural Tens machine-I've seen it happen, it was wonderful. And, being in this position is becoming more popular for giving birth-so if you practice being in this position, you may be better off during the birth-assuming you are planning a natural delivery. We should set up a webcam in the delivery room, that way we could all give you advice. I'd pace around in the corridor outside, nervously smoking

Nick
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-22 8:52 AM (#92202 - in reply to #92122)

jonnie - 2007-07-22 10:11 PM

My ropes have the standard thick knot joining the two ends but I had thought about investing in some hoops. I got an email from American Gymnast yesterday who are having a sale, so I'll check out their prices.

Jonathon

I miss read your post Nick.

You wrote 'loops' and I read 'hoops', in case you wondering what I'm going on about

This may be another foolish question, but what is the benefit of doing this exercise as opposed to the basic push up?

Jonathon
joscmt
Posted 2007-07-22 9:20 AM (#92208 - in reply to #91886)

Nick- Hahaha! Yeah, I've heard that all the hard work on the core goes to pot when you are pregnant. My SIL has had a difficult time with her back.... not to mention all the lifting of the baby and bending over changing diapers, etc.
I'll leave your technique for my husband then... I can't wait to try it.
As for the webcam-... uh, no. Hahahhaa.. I'll get a little personal her, but that may take it to an entirely different place... besides, I don't want any grief if I end up induced because I"m late and getting an epidural because I can't take the pain....
My husband said he wants to be in the hall smoking cigarettes and pacing nervously. I said a.) No chance in hell b.) you can't smoke anywhere anymore anyway.. doesn't matter..

Posted 2007-07-22 8:51 PM (#92259 - in reply to #91886)

an article, to answer neel's question--

Milk Men-- http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/miscarticles/milkmen.html
JackieCat
Posted 2007-07-22 10:00 PM (#92261 - in reply to #92259)

Extreme Veteran

zoebird - 2007-07-22 8:51 PM

OMG- now I have heard it all! I just skimmed b/e I have to go to bed but I will definitely return to read more carefully.

Jonnie: Cute baby!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-23 12:01 AM (#92269 - in reply to #92259)

Now, I am scared! (I mean of asking humourous questions!)

zoebird - 2007-07-22 8:51 PM

Nick
Posted 2007-07-23 1:07 AM (#92276 - in reply to #92269)

Hi ZB,
That's frankly far too disturbing-I just woke up and this is the first thing I see
Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-07-23 1:29 AM (#92278 - in reply to #92202)

Hi Jonnie,
Yes, you're right, that is indeed a foolish question Don't worry about the loop/hoop thing I actually got mine from Ikea-I went there one day, they have all this stuff like ropes and hoops and a little leaflet about research on coordination and child development-just the kind of stuff I'm into, well done Ikea!
Back to the silly question, with a push-up, the prime mover is the pectoral muscles, with a pull-up the prime mover is the latissimus dorsi-shoulder flexion and shoulder extension being the main components of these two exercises, respectively. But this is an exciting exercise, because, as you noted, the movement is the same as a push-up-which uses similiar muscles to those used in headstand, handstand, etc-shoulder flexion being used in all these postures to lift us up-the lift back in the the vinyasa too.
But you know earlier we were talking about how far the elbows should be from the side of the body? This exercise can sort that out-I think what happens is that you begin to use the lats to pull on the arms in the descent into chaturanga, or the ascent into a handstand, which then makes the total amount of tension in the muscular system rise, which then makes it so that you can lift or control the movement-the latissimus are incredibly powerful muscles-a left-over from our days tree-climbing.
I think that for the astangi, the latissimus are an incredibly important core muscle-the fact that they cross multiple joints, and pass from the arm to the spine and pelvis, so that their contraction can compress the vertebra, makes them an interesting muscle to observe when practicing.

Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-07-23 1:48 AM (#92280 - in reply to #92278)

Hi,
This has those loops for £6

Nick

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/rooms/childrens_room/10437/
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread