YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

too much weight loss
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

subseb
Posted 2007-07-13 9:24 PM (#91410)
Subject: too much weight loss

Hi,

I started ashtanga 8 months ago and loss 10kg. I'm 1,81 and 60 Kg. I'm doing the Mysore style practice and then having big oatmeal breakfast, big pasta lunch snacks and everything.

I would need to gain a bit of weight. Should I add some protein in my diet and if so, when should I take it ?

I'm still on the first series who is working on body alignment. May be it is normal to loose a lot a weight while the body is reorganizing itself ? (and from the beginning, it has and still is really been a big reorganization cause I never did sport in my life and spend most of the time in front of the computer)

I can wait to gain weight, but in that case, I'd like to ear from professional that it is better to start gaining weight and or weight lifting when the body has a normal alignment.

thanks a lot for sharing your experience

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-13 10:23 PM (#91412 - in reply to #91410)
Subject: RE: too much weight loss

You have a fantastic weight and please do not try to increase weight.
subseb
Posted 2007-07-13 10:50 PM (#91417 - in reply to #91412)

hum, thanks ... why not try ?
raquel
Posted 2007-07-16 1:44 PM (#91561 - in reply to #91417)

hy, you need more protein to help you build lean muscle, try scooping it in your oatmeal in the morning and eating protein shakes and bars after your practice. You didnt mention protein, its this that builds muscle, the carbs give you energy. try eating small and often but include protein in every meal

good luck x

yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-16 2:34 PM (#91568 - in reply to #91410)

hmmmm i think u should stay at the weight u are at if u lost weight and u still eat healthy that is all that matters in the end
right
?

always
alyssa
raquel
Posted 2007-07-16 2:51 PM (#91573 - in reply to #91410)

Only prob with that is you may continue to lose weight ! The type of diet I suggested was an athletes way of eating to maintain or gain lean muscle mass, it works for me x
yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-16 3:07 PM (#91576 - in reply to #91410)

ahhhhhaaa i like u all ready if an athelet diet u want i can help u there now tell me

are u a vegan ?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-16 10:48 PM (#91612 - in reply to #91417)

because 60 kg is not an insufficient weight if you are energetic.

subseb - 2007-07-13 10:50 PM

hum, thanks ... why not try ?
Aotearoa
Posted 2007-07-17 2:38 AM (#91628 - in reply to #91410)

Hi all

I was slightly shocked to read everybody's replies to this thread. With a BMI of just over 18 Subseb is very clearly underweight. Obvioulsy, yoga is easier with less body mass to bind around and less weight but this sounds unhealthy to me, almost emaciated. Losing this much weight should be monitored by a health professional. They can pass the ultimate opinion because they know your muscle-body fat ratio.

Cheers
Aotearoa
raquel
Posted 2007-07-17 3:13 AM (#91629 - in reply to #91410)

Actually the diet I suggested will help gain weight, as it sounds lijke your not eating enough, but I would agree maybe you should visit a professional dietion, so they can take a look and give you expert advice.

I eat 6 small meals a day that 4 of them with protein and all low fat, I train teach and train up to 3hrs a day and I am at my ideal weight, however I lost 6k because of the sheer expenditure of calories, so I began to eat more protein, my carbs were okay. This was difficult as I dont eat much meat, so this was why I opted for protein shakes and bars. Eating like this keeps the sugar level balanced and so this will stop weight fluctuation, more protein = more lean muscle

The carbs you are eating are being burned off with your training and if you are not eating enough protein muscle will be eaten away

you could try it for a month and see if there are any changes x
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-17 8:10 AM (#91643 - in reply to #91629)

Now, I have to apologize. Because when you wrote 181, I thought it was height = 1.81 meters, meaning 5 ft something. This is why personal instruction is most important. Anyway, if you wish to increase weight, I advise the following:

- Throw into trash anything that is not naturally grown. This includes everything.

- Eat fresh fruits 3 times a day.

- Eat fresh salad 2 times a day (only green and leafy and fresh).

- Eat 25 raw almonds softened in water overnight each day.

- And, take 2 small meals of whole grains.

-And do not worry, take good rest. I am sure you are FANTASTIK.

raquel - 2007-07-17 3:13 AM

Actually the diet I suggested will help gain weight, as it sounds lijke your not eating enough, but I would agree maybe you should visit a professional dietion, so they can take a look and give you expert advice.

I eat 6 small meals a day that 4 of them with protein and all low fat, I train teach and train up to 3hrs a day and I am at my ideal weight, however I lost 6k because of the sheer expenditure of calories, so I began to eat more protein, my carbs were okay. This was difficult as I dont eat much meat, so this was why I opted for protein shakes and bars. Eating like this keeps the sugar level balanced and so this will stop weight fluctuation, more protein = more lean muscle

The carbs you are eating are being burned off with your training and if you are not eating enough protein muscle will be eaten away

you could try it for a month and see if there are any changes x
belle vie
Posted 2007-07-17 9:45 AM (#91663 - in reply to #91410)

Veteran

Hi, Seb, and welcome to the forum I admit now I am confused. I assumed when you said you were 1,81 and 60 kg.you were referring to height and weight. That comes to about 5'9 inches and 130 lbs . If you are a woman, you are a bit thin, if you are a man I would think you are very thin. That gives you a BMI of just over 18.1 which "most" agree is underweight.

You seem to be eating a lot of high caloric food, probably not enough protein, and still losing weight (and you're complaining )

But seriously, if you continue to lose weight or want to gain weight, I agree with aotearoa that you should consult a health professional for a weight gain diet.

Good luck to you (could you tell me what you put in that pasta to lose weight
fechter03
Posted 2007-07-21 11:56 PM (#92149 - in reply to #91410)

Extreme Veteran

um..you guys do realize that bone structure and genetics counts more than anything when it come to ideal weight. as far as i'm concerned ideal weight is whatever you're healthy at. how can you possibly tell someone they're "under" or "over" weight if they're eating healthy, in decent proportions and are getting enough exercise/rest and feel energetic???
yoga-addict
Posted 2007-07-22 5:49 AM (#92188 - in reply to #91410)

Veteran

also 1,81 (and since he/she gives what I would consider height/weight statistics in Kg/ that the other is cm.) is closer to 6 ft. not 5'9"
njguy
Posted 2007-07-25 10:01 AM (#92518 - in reply to #91410)

I finally looked at this thread in more detail and became concerned. 5'11" and 132 pounds is really quite skinny. I suspect something other than simple weight loss. It's hard to guess without additional information. A friend of mine once had unexplained weight loss and later discovered he had a parasite - giardia. I would recommend a throrough medical exam just to play it safe. Yoga can fix a lot of things, but not everything!

njguy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)