YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

confused
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-11 1:38 PM (#91197)
Subject: confused

i don't understand why fighting amounst religions is for the greater good
we all beleave in the same thing we all no theres a god we all go to one place
even if it heaven or paradise as some say
but wat i don't under stand is how we got here were we all came from i am a chatholic yes and i think of this alot the scientific method of how we came here is understandable but the reliougious matter is god creatated the world and made the 1st man and woman but the thing is did he make more if not then we are all brothers and sister there for we would be marrying our own sibling i am confused about religion and don't no wat i am anymore therefor i 've been trying to figure the impossible out why are we here, how did we get here , i am faithful to my reliogion and recently something happend those people that knock on ur door to tell u to check out there church well they ask me wat is my religion i said chalotic and they just looked at me
like i wasn't human like i wasn't one of them which got me to thinking about all of this stuff if god made the world then why just why do we try to find anouther way on how we got here on how all this stuff happend
many diffrent religions , buddism ,hunduism, christanity and much more we all beleave somehow that there is a suprem being out there that made us we all beleave that when we die we go to a wonderful place but yet ......all of these matters come up to were people try to say that our religion is not right and
join theres i'm so confused about this stuff i just had to right it down if ya'll have something to say plz say it for i am confused and been thinking alot about this

thankyou
alyssa
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-11 2:06 PM (#91201 - in reply to #91197)
Subject: RE: confused

Dear Alyassa: We can talk months on this. But, let me give you some pointers. I like your avatar.

1. Religion = Religaire = Bind in values. Each society or group has to possess some values to be able to work. The values can be related to behavior, marriage, sex, parking, cleanliness, etc. Without bindings society can not work. The group of values created for a particular group is its Religion.

2. Philosophy = Explanation given for the existence of the universe and the place of humans in that Universe.

3. Yoga = Practices developed to realize the number 2.

4. Philosophical Religion = Religious practices meant to take one to 2.

5. Organized Religion = Organization originally created for supporting members within a particular group. With organization, one gets support, and motivation.

6. Organized Church = An institution created in the name of 5., but actually for political economic advantage including invading others in the name of religion and looting them, or conversion of other societies into one's own faith.

The problem in your confusion deals with 6. and 5. and 4. And, there are many who are confused about 2. 3. and 4. And, there are some who try to escape this confusion by calling themselves Atheist. But, actually, they form another religion called Atheism.

jonnie
Posted 2007-07-11 2:11 PM (#91202 - in reply to #91197)

Hi Yogagirl,

You can approach religion from to aspects: the exoteric (the outer teachings) and the isoteric (the inner teachings).

People who focus on the exoteric aspects of their religion tend to notice difference, while those who focus on the isoteric aspects tend to recognise the sameness of all religious practises.

Not long now before David Beckham officially moves to U.S soccer...

Jonathon
yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-11 2:18 PM (#91203 - in reply to #91197)

okay idon't really get the 123456 thingy could u kinda make it idk hmm simlper and ty and how dose one see both aspects of these things the inner and outer i mean kinda wat is the diffrence and am i the person looking inner or outer

i would realy apreciate it if u could explain the 123456 thing again and

YA I NO US IS SO GONNA KICK SOME BUT NOW !!
Kaos
Posted 2007-07-11 2:35 PM (#91207 - in reply to #91197)

Hi Alyssa,

From a non-dualistic point of view, there is no Hindu, no Sikh, no Muslim, no Christian, no Buddhist, etc...

On a more mundane level, people have different capacities, attitudes or dispositions. Some people are more inclined to play soccer, others are more fit to play football, or baseball, etc., etc.

Looking at things from a higher point of view tends to level things out.
Hope this helps.

Namaste,
Kaos

yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-11 2:52 PM (#91208 - in reply to #91197)

so wat ur saying if u take away the religion names there just us
and wat is muduame ?(spelling)
Kaos
Posted 2007-07-11 3:28 PM (#91212 - in reply to #91208)

yogagirl - 2007-07-11 2:52 PM

so wat ur saying if u take away the religion names there just us

If you take away the naming of things, the "this" and "that", you end up with Suchness, (sunyatta).

This is Emptiness. Not in the sense of "nothingness". But empty, yet full of potential.

It sounds so simple, yet this might take a lifetime or even numerous lifetimes to realize.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-11 3:52 PM (#91214 - in reply to #91203)

yogagirl - 2007-07-11 2:18 PM

i would realy apreciate it if u could explain the 123456 thing again and
QUOTE]

Let me explain 1. now. Once you OK it, I shall go to 2. etc.

1. Religaire means to bind in values. When one lives in a society, they can not behave as they like. There should be some guideline so that the life the society will be comfortable, enjoyable, and smooth, considering the good of all people in that society. So, a set of values is created. Do you agree with this? This set of values is called Religion to be followed by that Society.
yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-11 4:05 PM (#91217 - in reply to #91197)

oh okay i get it
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-11 10:06 PM (#91236 - in reply to #91217)

yogagirl - 2007-07-11 4:05 PM

oh okay i get it

Great. Now, let us go to 2.

Philosophy = It can almost be assumed that only human beings out of all animals think in a deeper way. A human being always wants to achieve certain understanding which makes him/her comfortable, happy, balanced, peaceful, satisfied (may be this is a better word). In this process, the human being tries to place all the phenomenon around them in a proper perspective, arrangement, thought, logic, etc. This logic is then refined by taking logic from the past researchers, adding one's own, modifying, refining, etc. At the end certain understanding is formed as to the nature of phenomenon. This understanding has to be solid and not flaky. This is philosophy.

What do you think?
yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-12 2:10 PM (#91306 - in reply to #91197)

okie dokie get that one
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-12 3:43 PM (#91320 - in reply to #91306)

yogagirl - 2007-07-12 2:10 PM

okie dokie get that one

OK Now,let us go to the third.

Yoga = Practice to realize the Philosophy. Unfortunately, this is where you are going to have a problem. Since, the earliest Philosophy in the world is that from India, in the prevedic or vedic period. This time frame is beyond 7000 B.C. and wrongly proven by Western Scholars as 2000 BC (and recently, totally proven by Western scientist to be before 7000 and not yet publicly accepted and advertised so.) Anyway, what happens in the Philosophy is that the Solid Truths which survive the tide of the Time only are considered Philosophy or Classical Philosophy or Real Philosophy. Other thoughts are considered logic or studies or researches, etc. The philosophy which survives the time is called : Agama in the Sanskrit Language and also called Sanatana Dharma. It can not be eradicated by the time. And, you can clearly see that Vedic Philosophy is standing completely sound today even after invasions of Muslims, Huns, Shaks, etc. and missionary work of Buddhists, and Christians in India. Also, Vedic scholars do not go out to preach their philosophy as missionaries as it is not necessary.

This Philosophy in Vedas is to be gotten from a proper source, preferably one with Sanskrit Background. I am not prepared to discuss this point here.

Anyway, the truth in the Vedic Philosophy is called brahman which later came to be known as realization, self realization, nirvana, enlightenment, being son of god, living in the kingdom of god, etc. etc.

As you can imagine to reach this realization one has to do some changes in the current way of life. This is called practice and all such practice is Yoga Practice. This practice itself can be slightly chaning with the time due to the practice is dependent on the environment.

Now, even the practice has been properly organized over the time and it has become branches of Yoga.However, in the Classical Yoga System, the practice is organized in a non sectarian way, with flexibility for modifications. This is Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. And that is why Yoga Sutras have remained as the Text of Yoga Practice since 300 B.C. till now. And, of course, shall remain forever.

I hope you understand what Yoga means now.
yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-12 5:09 PM (#91322 - in reply to #91197)

i don't get that one are u saying yoga is a religion or was a religion ?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-12 11:12 PM (#91332 - in reply to #91322)

So far, I covered only 1. 2. and 3. In 1. I told you what Religion means. In 2. I told you what Philosophy means. You stated you understood 1. and 2. Now, in 3. I am stating what Yoga means. That is a practice to reach tthe truth stated in Phiosophy. I am not stating anything about Religion Vs Yoga yet. As I described so far, Religion are values that bind a society. Yoga is a practice to be done by a person to realize the truth stated in Philosophy. Get it?

yogagirl - 2007-07-12 5:09 PM

i don't get that one are u saying yoga is a religion or was a religion ?
yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-13 9:15 AM (#91343 - in reply to #91197)

oh okay i get it yoga is the practices that teaches u the truth or helps u find the truth stated in numba 2 ? yes no did i get it ?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-13 9:18 AM (#91344 - in reply to #91343)

No, it is not the practices that teach us the truth. Philosophy is that which teaches us the truth. Yoga gives us various things to practice such as exercises, meditation, chanting, etc. which are supposed to change us in such a way that we realize the truth given in the Philosophy. Get it now?

yogagirl - 2007-07-13 9:15 AM

oh okay i get it yoga is the practices that teaches u the truth or helps u find the truth stated in numba 2 ? yes no did i get it ?
yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-13 9:24 AM (#91345 - in reply to #91197)

ohhh okay duh now i get it lol thank you
Kaos
Posted 2007-07-13 9:34 AM (#91347 - in reply to #91343)

You cannot get it by thinking about it alone. You realize it by "getting" the essence (ontology) or in other words, experiencing it.

yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-13 2:53 PM (#91383 - in reply to #91197)

oh so expericing it (spellcheck)

and one can experince it by ?

yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-13 3:10 PM (#91392 - in reply to #91197)

wait for get wat i said on the top i think i no how u experince it my bad
ready for the next one
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-13 3:59 PM (#91397 - in reply to #91345)

Good. Now, let us go to 4.

4. Philosophical Religion - If you understand 1, 2, 3, you can understand that certain practices developed in a society which a) give values that bind the members of that society in a particular way so that life can continue with peace,harmony as well as b) which shall facilitate the final emancipation or realization of truth.

Thust, the values can be a) Social - called as Dharma in Sanskrit. and b) Personal - called as Personal Dharma.

That religion which provides for values which are supposed to lead one to Philosophical Truth is called "Philosophical Relgion". For example:

Capitalism is a set of values which increase the comfort, even wellbeing may be, financial conditions of a society when the set of Capitalistic values are followed. No problem. it can be called Capitalism Religion. But, NO Philosophical Truth is realized by this. So, it is NOT a Philosophical Religion.

Got it?

yogagirl - 2007-07-13 9:24 AM

ohhh okay duh now i get it lol thank you
yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-13 5:23 PM (#91402 - in reply to #91397)

okay so ur saying that capitalism (which is the economic system right) is not a philosphical reliogion . hmmm so sofar i get it numer 1 was stating that with society comes with values which helps us to work and certian values for a certian group is religion right
and as for numba 2 that the hardest one i look it up in the wikiedia and all i got out of it was that it's a question like my questions were did we come from why are we here kinda thing
numba 3 is the practice of numba 2 which we can relize numbba2 with meaditation and asanas
numba 3 leads us through a spiritual journey to were we find numba 2 right
and numba four is a branch of numba 2 which is concerned with the philosophical study of religion including stuff about the existince of god and the value between religion and science right ? idk my head hurt from looking all this stuff up librarys rule but my head hurt am i kinda getting this ?

Edited by yogagirl 2007-07-13 5:24 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-13 6:16 PM (#91406 - in reply to #91402)

You are doing wonderful. Just to conclude 4. Capitalism, Marxism, Communism are actually kind of relgions with some values to make the society work fine. But, they are not philosophical religions. Generally, when people use the word 'Religion', they mean Philosophical Religion, such as Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, Hinuism, etc.

We shall see the next one once you ok this. And, when your head stops hurting.

yogagirl - 2007-07-13 5:23 PM

okay so ur saying that capitalism (which is the economic system right) is not a philosphical reliogion . hmmm so sofar i get it numer 1 was stating that with society comes with values which helps us to work and certian values for a certian group is religion right
and as for numba 2 that the hardest one i look it up in the wikiedia and all i got out of it was that it's a question like my questions were did we come from why are we here kinda thing
numba 3 is the practice of numba 2 which we can relize numbba2 with meaditation and asanas
numba 3 leads us through a spiritual journey to were we find numba 2 right
and numba four is a branch of numba 2 which is concerned with the philosophical study of religion including stuff about the existince of god and the value between religion and science right ? idk my head hurt from looking all this stuff up librarys rule but my head hurt am i kinda getting this ?
yogagirl
Posted 2007-07-13 10:45 PM (#91415 - in reply to #91197)

okay lets do this
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-14 8:51 AM (#91430 - in reply to #91343)

Wonderful. Next.

5. Organized Religion - You will accept that a motivation for following any rules or philosophical logic, etc. shall grow when followed in a group. This is like going to a group Yoga Class, group ToastMaster's Speech clas, etc. etc. In this way, the people of the same values come together in order to foster their own development in those values. This happens in Music, Sport, Health, Vegetarianism, Yoga Bulletin Board such as yoga.com, and in our particular case, with Religion. This is Organized Religion.

Got it?

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)