YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

modified and hydrogenated
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

Ellie
Posted 2007-06-29 3:04 PM (#90361)
Subject: modified and hydrogenated

Wondering if anyone had info on what exaclty are modified or hydrogenated oils?
What the health risks are?

I eat organic foods have for the last 5 years. Have eaten well my whole life really. Don't eat out, don't eat processed, mostly vegs fruits, certain breads, and fish and chicken maybe 3/week.. red meat 3/month.. it is all free range, or organic. I mix and match my foods, to get the nutrition I need.

My only vices are my latte (organic coffe and milk, sometime soya and a chocolate spread called Nutella. (umm not together and within reason)

Nutella by Ferrero: I've noticed over the years their fat content ingred changed... used to be the oil would surface to the top of the jar..normal for nuts..Nutella is/was made with hazulnuts..the change? from peanut oil, to hydrogenated peanut oil, now to modified palm oil. I'm pretty much disgusted by this change.. especially since they promote this as a healthy snack for children.

So hence my question.

Edited by Ellie 2007-06-29 3:13 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-07-28 2:50 AM (#92820 - in reply to #90361)
Subject: RE: modified and hydrogenated

Simply?
Hydrogenation is the process of adding hydrogen to the double bond in the fatty acid chain.
The risks tend to be that this process increases trans fatty acids.
Weird that the World Health Organization (WHO) says it's bad but studies by the Malaysian governnment say it actually lowers bad cholesterol. I wonder if Malaysia is a prime producer of Palm Oil.
Nick
Posted 2007-07-28 8:30 AM (#92825 - in reply to #90361)

Hi there,
I feel your pain I'm not sure if this one has the kind of oils that you want:

http://www.greenandblacks.com/uk/productdetails.php?pageid=27&cid=4&pid=40&ingredients=yes

Trouble is, it doesn't taste like nutella! I'm sure there must be a site for disgruntled nutella consumers

Nick
fechter03
Posted 2007-07-28 10:09 AM (#92831 - in reply to #90361)

Extreme Veteran

i loooovvveeee NUTELLA!! i don't know about you, but i really don't care what's in it, i'm never going to stop eating it..you can forget that..i eat reasonably healthy myself but i allow cheating..life's too short, you can't be perfect all the time and its not like nutella is as bad as alcohol or anything..
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-28 7:16 PM (#92872 - in reply to #90361)

Dear Ellie:
There are two things here:

a) the original oil

b) and Hydrogenation.

In the original oil, there can be good oils such as pure Olive Oil, and bad Oils such as xxxx.

And, Hydrogenation always makes the oil worse than what it is.

So, you have to apply two criterial: How good the original oil is and then make it worse by hydrogenation.

This way the end product should be rated.

If you do not want headache of doing so, do NOT use hydrogenated oils.

The best way to eat oil: NOT to eat Oil. That is eat only the food which already has oil as only one part of it. For example, raw almonds.

Medium way of eating oil: Cold Pressed.

Worse way of eating oil: Hot Pressed.

Worse than Worse: Sauting in Oil.

And, the Criminal Way: Deep Frying.

But, above is theory. You should adjust practice to what you want and where you are.

Love and Peace
Neel
Ellie
Posted 2007-08-03 10:52 AM (#93400 - in reply to #90361)

Ty all for ur replies.. I love nutella too.. but...
Yup Malaysia and Indonesia are leading producers of palm oil.
Heres a little news I found researching palm oil. http://cspinet.org/new/200506021.html

Lots of reasons to boycott Nutella and force them to go back to the original recipe of the hazelnut oil only being present in this spread.

I really hate Greed.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-03 4:30 PM (#93424 - in reply to #90361)

I wanted to add one more:

Any oil when it is hydrogenated becomes far worse than when NOT. So, if you like nut oil, eat nuts and not nut-ella.
stretch
Posted 2007-08-16 7:22 PM (#94277 - in reply to #90361)

I've called Nutella and haven't gotten a satisfactory answer. I also went to their website, where they don't allow you to ask questions easily. Instead, they give you a snailmail address when you click on Contact Us. Ridiculous!

http://www.nutellausa.com/faqs.htm

Their website only mentions peanut oil, yet "modified palm oil" is now on the label and when you call the number on the product you get voicemail. Someone will call back, but I've only gotten a vague reply in voicemail myself. They say the "modified palm oil" they're using now is not a trans fat but they won't tell me how they've modified the oil, either. Doesn't sound good.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-17 8:29 AM (#94297 - in reply to #90361)

I'm not sure about this, but wasn't hydrogenated oil banned in Canada? If that's right Nutella might have two formulations, on for Canada, and one they sell in the US. That would make things confusing.
tourist
Posted 2007-08-17 10:14 AM (#94305 - in reply to #94297)

Expert Yogi

I don't know if Canada has banned hydrogenated oils or not. I do know that most companies seem to be rushing to get rid of trans fats because of consumer demand. As far as Nutella goes, it is the massive amount of sugar in it that concerns me more than anything.

Posted 2007-08-17 10:21 PM (#94352 - in reply to #90361)

you might find interesting information related to this at the weston a price foundation web site--including whether or not hydrogenated oils are banned in canada or other countries.

the web site is http://www.westonaprice.org

there is something really crazy going on called "interestification" of certain oils, which is the same sort of garbage as hydrogenating, but a slightly different methodology of screwing things up.

makes me a bit batty. dining out is difficult.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-18 10:18 AM (#94368 - in reply to #90361)

I found this, lots of reading:
http://www.bantransfats.com/

sorry I don't know how to make it a link. And my daughter who helps me with these kind of things is still sleeping.

Oh, so copy and paste can make a link. Haha. Life is good.

Edited by bstqltmkr 2007-08-18 10:20 AM
sb21
Posted 2007-10-24 4:53 AM (#98524 - in reply to #94305)

Instead of being hydrogenated, the palm plants could actually be genetically modified for the effect they want--flavor, consistency, etc. Either way is bad though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)