YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bikram/Ashtanga comparison
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

jpg
Posted 2007-06-27 11:03 AM (#90225)
Subject: Bikram/Ashtanga comparison

I'm very new to Yoga and am trying to weigh the pros and cons of these two practices. I started doing the David Swenson 45 minute routine and enjoyed it. I then began Bikram and have been doing it twice a week for the last two months. I've lost weight and my (running damaged) back feels great. I'm trying to decide whether to pick between these two or do both. Does anyone have any comments on the following questions:

1. After finishing the 45 minute Ashtanga I would always feel a wonderful "buzz". After a 90 minute Bikram session I just want to get out of the room. Why is that? I want to enjoy the practice I choose.

2. I would love to eliminate my weight lifting, which I've been doing for almost 30 years, and am sick of. Bikram, however, seems to concentrate much less on the upper body than does Ashtanga. I want to keep my upper body toned. So Ashtanga seems to be the way to go here. Does anyone have any experience completely eliminating weights in favor of Ashtanga and, if so, what were the results?

3. I love the frequent Bikram backbends and think it has really helped my sore back. Why is the Ashtanga primary series so imbalanced in favor of forward bends?

4. The Bikram heat does seem to "melt" fat away, and I am trying to lose the last 10 pounds. Can those who have tried both compare the two in terms of fat burning/weight loss?

5. Would splitting time equally between the two be counterproductice (i.e. Bikram times 2 per week and Ashtanga times 2 per week)?

Hope I didnt pack too much into this. Thanks for reading.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TampaEric
Posted 2007-06-27 12:13 PM (#90228 - in reply to #90225)
Subject: RE: Bikram/Ashtanga comparison

Hey jpg,

Ashtanga is a wonderful system. It has been very good to me. Bikram was interesting and for some people it seems to work. I'm like you. When I do ashtanga, I feel great and really enjoy the sequence. When I do bikram, my body feels nice, but there is no bliss.

You can definately maintain muscle but it will be more toned and longer. Having big bulging muscles does not help your yoga practice. If you are overdeveloped or underdeveloped it will balance out.

Upper body. The full standing sequence and full primary hits every part of my body. From my toes to my wrists, etc... The upper body will take a weight and when you start to access the jumpthroughs and jumpbacks (or at least the concept of them) you will not need to weight train. This has been my experience and I don't lift weights, anymore.

Backbending.. you will get different points of view. If you use every updog, setu bandhdasana, urdhva dhanurasana, fish pose, uttana padasana in primary it still might not give you the effect of the Bikram backbending sequence. The Bikram backbending is pretty special.

However, if you practice primary for a year, then more towards intermediate there are is a backbending sequence that will make you forget all about Birkam. This has been my experience, too.

Losing weight? I don't think there will be that much difference if you put the same energy into the mix. But, you're comparing a 45 short form to a 90 minute form. So, you will have to try full series one day and see for yourself.

Ashtanga is best in large or should I say frequent doses...

Make sure we get an update...

Andre
Posted 2007-06-29 2:21 PM (#90359 - in reply to #90225)

Extreme Veteran

Ashtanga was recommended to me, and I will be trying it at some point. It will require that I drive, my small town doesn't have a studio doing Ashtanga. But I'm looking forward to the comparison.

My experience with Bikram is that it can take a while to get past dreading the heat. It took about 4-5 months of practicing 3-5 times a week to get to the point where the heat was welcome.

I don't do Yoga for muscle mass. I am in the best shape of my life and have the most muscle tone of my life. I have some abs peeking through and lost most of my love handles. I used to dread camel, and in the heat? What, are they nuts? Now I love it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-29 5:45 PM (#90367 - in reply to #90225)

jpg - 2007-06-27 11:03 AM

Hope I didnt pack too much into this. Thanks for reading.

Yes, you did. What I might suggest is: a) Do whichever practice you like regularly for 6 months or even 1 year if you wish. Then, do another one for 6 months or 3 months. And, you shall know what is the exact difference. And, how that difference relates to you. b) And, approach an experienced Yoga Teacher to get an overall understanding of Yoga Exercise and other practices, so that you have a foundation with umbrella.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)