YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga Study Group
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Andre
Posted 2007-06-26 8:04 PM (#90190)
Subject: Yoga Study Group

Extreme Veteran

Hello, a question for long term practitioners and folks well read on Yoga texts.

I picked up a book by Steven Cope, The Wisdom of Yoga. In it, it had an appendix with the Yoga Sutras. In reading it, and referring back to them, I started reading the Yoga Sutras for the first time. In fact, I've been pondering the Yoga Sutras and kind of stopped reading the book until recently. I've also been reading Light on Yoga and have become more familiar with the Bhagavad Gita.

I don't think the Yoga Sutras would have made much sense to me, they're so distilled, unless I had practiced a while. Well, I have been practicing a while now (3+ years, Bikram's mostly, but I've dabbled with other styles). A recent discussion here got me thinking along another line, and that was a good thing.

So I'm curious if there might be interest in a sort of book group similar to a bible study to discuss these texts and maybe our personal practice. And I've been thinking of putting up a flyer at my local studio or on Craigslist.

But do people do that sort of thing in the Yoga community?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-26 8:49 PM (#90199 - in reply to #90190)
Subject: RE: Yoga Study Group

The Yoga Study Group works only if: All the persons participating are actually studying and not gossiping in the group meetings without study at home. It also works if they have a similar goal and not opposing goals. For example, an academic goal is different from practical goal. And, the study group has balance of skills. Otherwise, one blind leads another blind. Or, a blind tries to lead a learned one. ETC.

DJ Dre - 2007-06-26 8:04 PM

Hello, a question for long term practitioners and folks well read on Yoga texts.

I picked up a book by Steven Cope, The Wisdom of Yoga. In it, it had an appendix with the Yoga Sutras. In reading it, and referring back to them, I started reading the Yoga Sutras for the first time. In fact, I've been pondering the Yoga Sutras and kind of stopped reading the book until recently. I've also been reading Light on Yoga and have become more familiar with the Bhagavad Gita.

I don't think the Yoga Sutras would have made much sense to me, they're so distilled, unless I had practiced a while. Well, I have been practicing a while now (3+ years, Bikram's mostly, but I've dabbled with other styles). A recent discussion here got me thinking along another line, and that was a good thing.

So I'm curious if there might be interest in a sort of book group similar to a bible study to discuss these texts and maybe our personal practice. And I've been thinking of putting up a flyer at my local studio or on Craigslist.

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-06-27 6:44 AM (#90210 - in reply to #90190)

I attend a regular sacred text study class held at my studio, not quite a study group, but the discussions do go all over the place, based on what we discuss any particular morning. Anyone can join the group at any time. The class is led by one of the owners of my studio, a well-studied jnana yogi and an initiate in raja (Integral) yoga. Classes fees are by donation. For the first month of the class (over two years ago), we started out with the sutras, then switched over to the Bhagavad Gita and have been there ever since. I believe we're at Book 5 right now. Some weeks we cover as many as 5-6 slokas, other times we back track if someone is new and may stall on one sloka if the concepts there are particularly challenging for some.

The open discussion of the group is the best part of it. I've said this before here, that before I started attending this class regularly, I really wasn't practicing yoga. So yes, you're definitely on the right track by wanting to layer in studying and discussing yogic philosophy.

Just last week I asked the teacher if we'd ever get back to studying the sutras as well. He said most likely in the fall, when the next crop of teacher trainees get started.

Oh, and we always start the 45-minute class by centering ourselves (a short meditation) and a chant, usually Saha Navavatu, the Togetherness Mantra for Teacher and Student. We always close class with three Om Shantihs. It truly amazes me how this short weekly class has had such a longterm affect on my sense of peace. The chanting is a crucial part of it, I know for sure.

Maybe you can find someone at a studio in your area with the expertise our teacher has to lead your group. We're in Northern New Jersey, so if you're ever in the area, come join us!

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-06-27 6:46 AM
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-27 2:59 PM (#90238 - in reply to #90190)

DJ Dre - 2007-06-27 4:04 AM

Yes definately.

I meet with the local Chinmaya Mission group to study the Gita every week.

Remember the old adage of garbage in, garbage out, so make sure that the people you study with are knowledgable and dedicated and that the environment is condusive for learning...

Jonathon
Andre
Posted 2007-06-27 4:17 PM (#90245 - in reply to #90190)

Extreme Veteran

kulkarnn: For example, an academic goal is different from practical goal.

Could you elaborate on this?

Thanks for the comments, folks. I'm not sure how to go about finding a leader. And we're a smallish town. Not deterred, though. A Yoga studio in town had a fellow do a series of classes, now that I think of it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-27 10:44 PM (#90259 - in reply to #90245)

DJ Dre - 2007-06-27 4:17 PM

kulkarnn: For example, an academic goal is different from practical goal.
====> Academic goal = How many types of practices are in Yoga, How many Vedas actually exist, and what are their contents? Whether Patanjali was born in 300 B>C or 400 B.C. Whether he wrote Grammer or only Yoga Text. ETC. ETC. Practical Goal = How I can myself learn and start doing meditation? How many months regularly I have meditated? ETC.

===> In other situation: Academic: Ph.D. in Indian Philosophy. Practical: Follower of Philosophy.

Could you elaborate on this?

Thanks for the comments, folks. I'm not sure how to go about finding a leader. And we're a smallish town. Not deterred, though. A Yoga studio in town had a fellow do a series of classes, now that I think of it.
Andre
Posted 2007-06-28 2:00 PM (#90299 - in reply to #90190)

Extreme Veteran

I found something up in Portland, Oregon, that might be interesting, a monthly series of weekend classes on PATANJALI’S YOGASUTRA – EXPLAINED, CHANTED AND PRACTICED with Chase Bossart of the Healing Yoga Foundation – San Francisco offered through Yoga Shala of Portland.

Yoga Shala of Portland was recommended to me by my local studio owner. Does anyone here have any experience with classes offered there or with Chase Bossart?
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-28 3:40 PM (#90313 - in reply to #90190)

Hi Dre,

The Healing Yoga Foundation is the organisation of TKV Desikachar, the son of Sri Krishnamacharya (the teacher of BKS Iyengar and Sri Pattabhi Jois).

TKV Desikachar's work on the Yoga Sutra's is exceptional.

I'm sure if the trainer studied and is certified by him, they will be very good.

Jonathon
Andre
Posted 2007-06-29 1:58 PM (#90358 - in reply to #90190)

Extreme Veteran

Good to know, Jonnie. Thanks.
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-29 2:28 PM (#90360 - in reply to #90190)

You're welcome.

Tell us how you get on.

Jonathon
Kaos
Posted 2007-06-29 10:59 PM (#90373 - in reply to #90190)

Although, yoga is not a religion, the dharmaic religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, even Jainism) incorporate one type or another. Therefore, in undertaking a yoga (text) study group one should remember to consider the focus of the material.

For example, texts such as the Bhagavad Gita, emphasize a Hindu viewpoint.
The Diamond Cutter sutra, on the other hand, or other texts of higher Buddhism, expresses a Buddhist side.

Texts on Hinduism and Buddhism, themselves are vast and diverse.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-30 12:42 PM (#90391 - in reply to #90373)

Fantastic. I agree fully. In other words, when one studies a Text, one has to try to get the original background, intention, and context of that text. And, not interprete that text in the light of today's physics, psychiatry, politics, etc. Thanks for that comment Kaos.

Kaos - 2007-06-29 10:59 PM

Although, yoga is not a religion, the dharmaic religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, even Jainism) incorporate one type or another. Therefore, in undertaking a yoga (text) study group one should remember to consider the focus of the material.

For example, texts such as the Bhagavad Gita, emphasize a Hindu viewpoint.
The Diamond Cutter sutra, on the other hand, or other texts of higher Buddhism, expresses a Buddhist side.

Texts on Hinduism and Buddhism, themselves are vast and diverse.

tourist
Posted 2007-06-30 7:50 PM (#90404 - in reply to #90391)

Expert Yogi

This is true in many fields. My son is taking a course on the Bible in English this term so he can better understand biblical references in English literature. He cannot understand what were common references to the Bible or religion in the 15th century since he has no context for it.
Kaos
Posted 2007-07-01 5:45 AM (#90416 - in reply to #90190)

DJ Dre - 2007-06-26 8:04 PM

From the POV of Buddhism, the intellectual comprehension to be gained under a yoga text study group, would fall under "wisdom arisen from thinking", and is not the same as fully grasping it.

Wisdom arisen from meditation occurs when one internalizes what one has learned and comprehends with direct perception beyond intellectual concepts.

Andre
Posted 2007-07-01 12:29 PM (#90428 - in reply to #90190)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for drawing that distinction, Kaos. Makes sense. I stated above that I don't think the Yoga Sutras would have made much sense to me if I had read them at the beginning of my practice. I've had some amazing experiences in the room, via Yoga. For a while they just kept rolling over me. And only now, 2-3 years later, am I starting to transition some of this to outside the room. For example, the most basic for me, stopping the old tapes that play in my head: Yoga is to still the patterning of consciousness.

Baby steps, for sure. Seems like it's taken forever, but I can now stop some of that. The component that is missing for me, I guess, is being part of a larger Yoga community. I'd like to hear about other's journeys. Maybe that would fit under the "wisdom arisen from thinking" heading.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-01 11:18 PM (#90451 - in reply to #90190)

DrDrj:

Ironically, if you want to study Buddhism you should not study Yoga Sutras of Patanjali because that is not a text on Buddhism. However, if you are studying comparison between Buddhism and Yoga, you should study the Yoga Sutras. But, then before that you should also study Buddhism. ETC.
Kaos
Posted 2007-07-02 5:11 AM (#90457 - in reply to #90451)

kulkarnn - 2007-07-01 11:18 PM

DrDrj:

Ironically, if you want to study Buddhism you should not study Yoga Sutras of Patanjali because that is not a text on Buddhism. However, if you are studying comparison between Buddhism and Yoga, you should study the Yoga Sutras. But, then before that you should also study Buddhism. ETC.

Correct. Dharma is alive and manifested in a multitude of ways. Therefore, why should one put limits to the unlimited to one single book.

Dr. Dre, it seems that your Yoga Study Group can go on forever.
And that is a good thing. Best wishes to your study group endeavors.

But let us not get too attached to the comprehension/thinking part of reading books. Practice is where the "rubber hits the road", so to speak.

Namaste

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-02 12:15 PM (#90485 - in reply to #90457)

I fully agree. Practice is more important than (definitely) the Yoga Study Group. And, that is what is missing in many so called Study groups.

Kaos - 2007-07-02 5:11 AM

kulkarnn - 2007-07-01 11:18 PM

DrDrj:

Correct. Dharma is alive and manifested in a multitude of ways. Therefore, why should one put limits to the unlimited to one single book.

Dr. Dre, it seems that your Yoga Study Group can go on forever.
And that is a good thing. Best wishes to your study group endeavors.

But let us not get too attached to the comprehension/thinking part of reading books. Practice is where the "rubber hits the road", so to speak.

Namaste

Andre
Posted 2007-07-06 4:18 PM (#90857 - in reply to #90190)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks again for all the comments, folks. I've practiced postures mostly, pretty intensely for the past 3 years. Now, I'd like to be more familiar with some of texts. It's part of my path, I think. (The class I'm taking does and hour of chanting, 2 hours of study on the sutras followed by an hour of posture practice.)
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-08 3:26 AM (#90908 - in reply to #90190)

A four hour class. That's very impressive.

Tell us how you feel it compliments your Bikram practise...

Kaos
Posted 2007-07-08 5:51 AM (#90910 - in reply to #90857)

DJ Dre - 2007-07-06 4:18 PM

Thanks again for all the comments, folks. I've practiced postures mostly, pretty intensely for the past 3 years. Now, I'd like to be more familiar with some of texts. It's part of my path, I think. (The class I'm taking does and hour of chanting, 2 hours of study on the sutras followed by an hour of posture practice.)

That's very good, and definitely a worthwhile endeavor, DJ Dre.
May I know, what sutra text/texts are studied in your yoga study group class?

Presently, I myself am studying the Tibetan Buddhist sacred text, "Liberation Through Hearing in the Transitional Phase of Death", with the guidance of my lama, who leads my meditation class.

Namaste and regards,
Kaos
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-08 7:35 AM (#90914 - in reply to #90910)

Expert Yogi

I myself am studying the Tibetan Buddhist sacred text, "Liberation Through Hearing in the Transitional Phase of Death", with the guidance of my lama, who leads my meditation class. Namaste and regards, Kaos

Hi Kaos,

Which Tibetan Lineage are you studying with??  Are they Tibetan?

Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-08 7:42 AM (#90915 - in reply to #90451)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2007-07-01 11:18 PM DrDrj: Ironically, if you want to study Buddhism you should not study Yoga Sutras of Patanjali because that is not a text on Buddhism.

In traditional Tibetan Buddhism the Rinpoches are very adamant about this.  They teach that you should choose one path.  Comparative studies is a totally different matter.  Studying and Practice is also a different matter.  To study only, is also similar to comparitive.  To put it in practice, better just choose one and practice it to the best of your ability.  Dabbling and bee bopping around is not a good practice. 

jonnie
Posted 2007-07-08 8:03 AM (#90917 - in reply to #90914)

Cyndi - 2007-07-08 3:35 PM

Hi Kaos,

Which Tibetan Lineage are you studying with??  Are they Tibetan?

If I had to guess by Kaos' previous quotes, I would say the Venerable Lama Thubten Zopa Rinpoche and the FPMT

Jonathon
Kaos
Posted 2007-07-08 1:05 PM (#90927 - in reply to #90914)

Cyndi - 2007-07-08 7:35 AM

Hi KaosWhich Tibetan Lineage are you studying with??  Are they Tibetan?

Hi Cyndi,
My Tibetan teacher belongs to the Karma Kagyu tradition, part of the Bodhi path centers, under the direction of HH Shamar Rinpoche.

Namaste,
Kaos

Edited by Kaos 2007-07-08 1:32 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)