YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga Study Group
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Andre
Posted 2007-07-08 1:13 PM (#90929 - in reply to #90190)
Subject: RE: Yoga Study Group

Extreme Veteran

Kaos: May I know, what sutra text/texts are studied in your yoga study group class?

I think it's a class just on the Yoga Sutras. I haven't seen a reading list yet--not sure if there is one. Seems like a good place to start. I'm just starting to read some of the basics, I guess I'd call them. Or at least the common or often mentioned titles. I'll see where it takes me. And, I'll report back, Jonnie. First class (Sat./Sun.) is in August.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kaos
Posted 2007-07-08 5:17 PM (#90938 - in reply to #90915)

Cyndi - 2007-07-08 7:42 AM

To study only, is also similar to comparitive.  To put it in practice, better just choose one and practice it to the best of your ability.  Dabbling and bee bopping around is not a good practice. 

Yes. That's true. Even in Tibetan Buddhism, although there are certain practices common to all schools, it is recommended that you choose one path that you have a connection and stick with it. It is difficult enough to grasp one path, let alone dabbling in four.

Thank you for the post Cyndi.

Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-08 6:00 PM (#90941 - in reply to #90938)

Expert Yogi

Hey Kaos...or should I say Tashi De Lek to you,

The main reason the Rinpoches emphasized one path is similar to Yoga, it's all about the Guru and the relationship. That is the most important aspect of these practices.  Chogyam Trungpa talked alot about "Spiritual Shopping"...especially with Westerners.  I do have to say for myself, I did study and compare alot of religions.  In fact, one of my top favorite books is by Manly P. Hall, "Secret Teachings of All Ages".  You guys should put that in your Summer Reading!!  As a Westerner, this is not an easy task to follow, because we are all trying to find our place - and in a sense, we are shopping, but not in a bad way.  Most people whether they be Tibetan, Indian, Nepali, Chinese or whatever, are born into their culture.  We Westerner's are very different and we do the best we can.

Anyway, I ended up with the Jonangpa lineage for several years, then with my husband, who is 150% Hindu.  It's been an interesting journey for me, but one thing is for certain and one of my discoveries is that I am not Tibetan, I am not a monk and I refuse to shave my head and wear a burgundy robe.  Oh yea, I am very familiar with the Kagyu and Nygma lineages.  There was a period where these two had merged together, did you know that??  The Nygma lineage was really near and dear to me.  They have a interesting practice that I am very connected with.  They taught that everything in the universe in within you...all the answers, period.  So, the practice was to remain still and it was an intense internal practice.  They gave very little teachings, just a simple initiation and that was it.  It was very profound.  There was a Rinpoche that came here to the states that taught this method, but he died several years ago.  Anyway, well this is all interesting. 

Kaos
Posted 2007-07-08 7:37 PM (#90943 - in reply to #90941)

Cyndi - 2007-07-08 6:00 PM

The Nygma lineage was really near and dear to me.  They have a interesting practice that I am very connected with.  They taught that everything in the universe in within you...all the answers, period.  So, the practice was to remain still and it was an intense internal practice.   

Yes, it is like seeing the universe in a grain of sand. I use the universe mudra during prayers.
These are profound teachings. Thanks so much for sharing.

Tashi Delek to you too, and I hope you've had a wonderful weekend.

Kaos
Andre
Posted 2007-08-20 12:13 PM (#94528 - in reply to #90190)

Extreme Veteran

Ok, so... I attended the Yoga Sutras class this weekend with Chase Bossart. Thought I'd report in. I woke up this morning with the sing-song rhythm of the chant going through my head. The class was two days, Sat. and Sun. and the first hour of each class was chanting 1-29 of the first chapter. In Sanskrit. I've never done anything like that.

I really had no idea what I was getting into. He breaks it down in Sanskrit, word by word, giving the meanings or close proximations in English, and then puts it back together. I didn't really think this is how it would go. I guess I imagined talking about the meaning of an English translation, and how it applies to our daily lives and practice.

But, no matter. I think I understand why we actually translate it ourselves--a better/deeper understanding of the true meaning. So in many ways, this type of class is more than I was looking for. Not complaining, there are definite parallels to personal experiences that I'm going through now. It's pretty clear, this is what I need to be looking at, at this moment in life.

As for the sources used: he prefers the translation of T. K. V. Desikachar for the Sutras, and recommends The Heart of Yoga. Though I picked it up on the second day, he doesn't really refer to it in class, because we take a line apart and put it back together ourselves. And we use a Sanskrit version of the Yoga Sutras that Desikachar also had a hand in notating.
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-20 2:38 PM (#94542 - in reply to #90190)

Hi Dre,

So overall, would you say that it was a positive experience?

Jonathon
Andre
Posted 2007-08-20 5:49 PM (#94562 - in reply to #90190)

Extreme Veteran

Oh, yes, Jonathon. I'm joining in the middle of the sessions, but it was easy enough to follow along. The discussions on the sections and how the Yoga Sutras are structured gives me a much clearer idea of how interpret where I might be in the process. The translation I first read is by Chip Hartranft on Shambhala Publications. I still prefer it to the wordiness of the Desikachar version. But exploring a fully fleshed out meaning, or how root words could also be interpreted is illuminating to say the least.

I will most likely attend the next two weekend sessions in Sept. and Oct.

Posted 2007-08-21 1:18 PM (#94623 - in reply to #90190)

DJDre,

I was on vacation when this thread posted originally. So I missed it. I wanted to share my experience with a study group.

We started a Bhagavad Gita study group in the spring. We divided the book into 3 sections and met for 3 consecutive Sunday nights for an hour and a half. I led the group with an opening question. This was my first time studying the Gita, so I was only a leader in the sense of direction.

I was really lucky because my local studio owner was really open to the idea. We did not charge people. And we used studio space. If she had not been willing I would have tried to do something through the local library. We will be doing the same thing again in the fall with the sutras.

In the classical yoga tradition - you wouldn't learn the Gita or the Sutras in this manner. You would study one on one with your guru. Some people would disagree with the study group method - particularly for studying the sutras. However I think this is one of those east meets west issues. An unless you can find someone locally to teach you - this might be your only option. And I know that I was able to appreciate the Gita more than if I had studied it independently.

Vicki

P.S. I'm glad you found Chase - I'm doing my teacher training with him.
yogendra mishra
Posted 2007-08-27 11:11 AM (#95152 - in reply to #90190)

can i help you.
Andre
Posted 2007-09-30 11:16 PM (#97234 - in reply to #90190)

Extreme Veteran

Jonnie said: Tell us how you feel it compliments your Bikram practise...

I attended the second weekend (Sat./Sun., 4 hours each day) session on the Yoga Sutras. One of the things I've felt is how distilled the Sutras are, it's something Chase mentioned today. It's also one of the things I like about the Bikram dialogue--it's specifically and minimally articulated.

What I like about the series is that I can know a posture, really know it. For me, that's a big part how I found the stillness in my body, which I think lead to me being able to make the transition necessary to be able to find stillness in my mind. When I practice other styles the repetition, either in postures or set up isn't anything close (to Bikrams).

Those styles and teachers certainly have merit, and have offered unique perspectives. But I'm not sure I would have recognized misperception unless I could have made some things just... stop. And I think that was helped by having the same thing over and over again as a foundation.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the class. It's really the right thing for me at this time in life, so many things seem to be coming together. Or at least making sense. If it's some restraint, or being able to draw a boundary.
Andre
Posted 2007-10-30 4:31 PM (#98869 - in reply to #90190)

Extreme Veteran

Reporting in again. I did my third weekend class on the Sutras with Chase. It's been a great experience. So many things in my personal life have parallels to the very things the Sutras are addressing. The class discussions have been great. My chanting has been coming along too.

It's interesting. In my personal practice I've got a little prayer rug and a pillow. And at the last session I bought a CD of the Sutras being chanted by Kausthub Desikachar. But there was some resistance to actually sitting down and doing it. It's an odd sensation, because I think this is something I'm being lead to do.

Anyway, I got some positive reinforcement this weekend. Even the little practicing I did between sessions was noticeable. And the understanding of the text, from breaking it down in class is, happening, even while chanting. Pretty cool, really.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)