YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bharadvajasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

groovelite
Posted 2007-06-15 9:12 AM (#89510)
Subject: bharadvajasana

Hi, just like to know about benefits for bharadvajasana (apart from strenthening the lumbar and I believe it helps digestion) are there some more? Also, what is the spiritual meaning of this pose and are there any contraindications?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TampaEric
Posted 2007-06-15 1:59 PM (#89520 - in reply to #89510)
Subject: RE: bharadvajasana

It is named after a sage I believe? In ashtanga yoga it appears in the intermediate series as a counterpose to backbending. The posture is about opposition and lengthening as much as it is twisting.

Knee or hip issues can be a problem, depending on what version you are doing.

Additional benefits would be counterpose to backbending, nerve cleaning, hips and knee opening as well as abdominal and disgestive benefits.

Hope this helps,

Eric
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-15 3:21 PM (#89524 - in reply to #89510)

groovelite - 2007-06-15 9:12 AM

Hi, just like to know about benefits for bharadvajasana (apart from strenthening the lumbar and I believe it helps digestion) are there some more?

===> It gives a mild twist to the upper body and all benefits are related to this twist.

Also, what is the spiritual meaning of this pose

===> There is NO spiritual meaning to this pose. It is just a mild twisting pose named after a sage Bharadwaja. It may not be same Bharadwaja whom Shree Rama met. It can also be only to use a name of a respected sage.

and are there any contraindications?

===> There is NO contra idications of any Yoga Pose.

Posted 2007-06-15 8:06 PM (#89536 - in reply to #89510)

Hello Groovelite,

This pose, assuming we are even discussing the same one, energizes the kidneys and makes the spine supple. Twisting actions for the most part, have the same effect in all of the twisting poses, generally speaking. That is to say that Bharadvajasana and Marichyasana and Ardha Matseyendrasana all work to release that which is deeply held (anatomically, in the muscles deep in the body close to the spine).

If the student has an overly mobile sacrum or a loose sacroiliac joint (they are basically the same thing) then twists must be done with care so the sacrum itself is not torqued or sheared. In addition, if the student has a slipped or herniated disk then I would not have them do this particular pose in the traditional way.
tourist
Posted 2007-06-15 9:05 PM (#89538 - in reply to #89536)

Expert Yogi

A teacher I know once remarked that since the twists mostly seem to be named after sages, twisting must make us very smart
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)