YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

any atheists here?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Posted 2007-07-26 12:21 PM (#92685 - in reply to #92612)
Subject: RE: any atheists here?

kulkarnn - 2007-07-25 10:42 PM

Discussion 5
==========
Jim-When someone is asking for technical advice (ie how do I become more flexible or whatever) of course you must assess their current flexibility and look for what is blocking their natural flexibility potential before you can suggest a course of action. That is not judging that person but rather responding to their request with an educated answer. Everything is still changing with time. but your response to that individual is how (in your opinion, whether experienced or not) to facilitate a change in direction, in the continuum of change that is already taking place. I am hoping that neither your suggestions nor that person's body will be static.

Neel - Question1 for Jim: Dear Jim: When such a person comes to you for flexibility advice, assuming this situation existed, will you tell that person that I am giving you certain advice in the sense of checking what is blocking your flexibility, etc. and giving you advice to change in the direction of already changing universe? Will you also tell him that your advice itself is also undergoing such a change and if he/she comes to you again, you shall be giving him PROBABLY a changed advice?

Answer 1 for Neel- Whether you tell this person all this or just answer their question would be your best judgement at that time and place. I sincerely hope that your advice will change over time as otherwise there would be no reason for that individual to come back to see you. (Since they will have changed when they see you next, your advice also needs to change.)

Question 2 for Jim - Your method of checking what is blocking the flexibility. Will that be based on your or someone else's past experiences or only current awareness?

Answer 2 for Neel - My method will be based on my current awareness. My current awareness includes my interpretations of my past experiences as well as what I have heard and read, and even my genetic makeup. It could also be based on insight that is a sudden understanding. (These come to people from time to time.)

Jim-The above situation is probably not a representative sample of Westerners, although I agree that many "modern" people worldwide seem to have trouble with learning and perfecting a prescribed method. You are right that I am actually advancing an alternative "prescribed method" rather than eliminating "prescribed mothods" altogether. Please define "Self Enquiry."

Neel - Q1: How do you know 'modern people' have this trouble?

A1:I did not say "modern People", I said many "modern people". The difference is that I have noticed this trend in more than a few people but am not applying this to anyone else.

Q2: Is your statement using word 'modern people' in pllace of my word 'western people' a judgement similar to mine or it is a benign statement?

A2: See A1.

Q3o you beleve in Statistics? If yes, do you think that if I had 4000 western students and more than half of them are having a particular situation, I should make that statement? And, if I find that much less than 5 percent non Westerners only are having that situation, I can compare western verses non western or not?

A3: I believe that Statistics can be a useful tool. It is also often used to distort rather than prove. You don't have a representative sampling, so the result is not statistically valid. In your experience this is true, but your experience cannot be applied to the world at large.

Discussion 6
=========

Questions for Neel:

1. Please define Self Enquiry.

2. Without self knowledge, how do you really know anything?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-26 1:39 PM (#92691 - in reply to #89049)

Discussion 6
=========

Jim - Questions for Neel: 1. Please define Self Enquiry. 2. Without self knowledge, how do you really know anything?

Neel - A1: Self Enquiry word has been used by others before my response to them or to you. Now, before I answer that question, I wish to know Q1: How do you define 'Self'? A2: See my Q1 and then we shall talk about Self Knowledge.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-26 1:46 PM (#92692 - in reply to #89049)

Discussion 6 Continued.... Thanks jimb. Sorry, I forgot the other part.

Jim - Answer 1 for Neel- Whether you tell this person all this or just answer their question would be your best judgement at that time and place. I sincerely hope that your advice will change over time as otherwise there would be no reason for that individual to come back to see you. (Since they will have changed when they see you next, your advice also needs to change.)

Neel - After this answer, I close this particular part of discussion, from my side.

Jim - Answer 2 for Neel - My method will be based on my current awareness. My current awareness includes my interpretations of my past experiences as well as what I have heard and read, and even my genetic makeup. It could also be based on insight that is a sudden understanding. (These come to people from time to time.)

Neel - My current awareness and interpretations from the past make me close this part of the discussion as well.

Jim - A1:I did not say "modern People", I said many "modern people". The difference is that I have noticed this trend in more than a few people but am not applying this to anyone else.

A2: See A1.

Neel - I close this part as well from my side.

Jim - A3: I believe that Statistics can be a useful tool. It is also often used to distort rather than prove. You don't have a representative sampling, so the result is not statistically valid. In your experience this is true, but your experience cannot be applied to the world at large.

Neel - I do not accept this, I feel my world is large enough to apply my statement to the world at large. But, if you know otherwise, you can prove it. Otherwise, I close this topic.

Posted 2007-07-27 12:16 PM (#92769 - in reply to #92692)

Jim - A3: I believe that Statistics can be a useful tool. It is also often used to distort rather than prove. You don't have a representative sampling, so the result is not statistically valid. In your experience this is true, but your experience cannot be applied to the world at large.

Neel - I do not accept this, I feel my world is large enough to apply my statement to the world at large. But, if you know otherwise, you can prove it. Otherwise, I close this topic.

Jim-This is not a representative sampling because you are only looking at a group comprised of yoga students who have chosen to be associated with you and not a random sampling of people in general. This is a sub-group and therefore not representative of people in general and possibly not even of yoga students in general as certain types of yoga students will be attracted to you or your teaching and some not. Those who are not will therefore not be part of that sub-group. I know that this is quibbling over details, but you asked so I am replying.

Posted 2007-07-27 12:26 PM (#92772 - in reply to #92605)

Kaos,
I am not accusing Neel of talking philosophy in the context of religion. I am merely pointing out that he is coming at our discussion from a different perspective than I. I meant no value judgement nor accusation. Yes, Neel and I are both discussing philosophy in the religion and philosophy section of a yoga forum. I agree that Yoga is the union of body, mind and spirit. What is wrong with entertaining various points of view about how that union can be achieved?
I don't understand why you are taking a combative position here.
Namaste,
Jim

Posted 2007-07-27 12:28 PM (#92773 - in reply to #92605)

Discussion 6
=========

Jim - Questions for Neel: 1. Please define Self Enquiry. 2. Without self knowledge, how do you really know anything?

Neel - A1: Self Enquiry word has been used by others before my response to them or to you. Now, before I answer that question, I wish to know Q1: How do you define 'Self'? A2: See my Q1 and then we shall talk about Self Knowledge.
-----
Jim- I define it as both self and Self, with self being the personal self (Jim or Neel) and Self being the greater Self (God or Brahman or whatever). Let me give an example: self is like a cell in the body and Self is like the entire body. Neither exist without the other. You cannot have the many without the One and you cannot have the One without the many. I see the many and the One as two different ways of looking at the same thing, not as two seperate entities.

Edited by jimg 2007-07-27 12:43 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-27 2:11 PM (#92783 - in reply to #89049)

Discussion 7
============

-----
Jim- I define it as both self and Self, with self being the personal self (Jim or Neel) and Self being the greater Self (God or Brahman or whatever). Let me give an example: self is like a cell in the body and Self is like the entire body. Neither exist without the other. You cannot have the many without the One and you cannot have the One without the many. I see the many and the One as two different ways of looking at the same thing, not as two seperate entities.

Neel - That is FANTASTIC! Now: A1: I define Self Enquiry also in two ways: a) ONE - What currently is called Self Enquiry in many circles. For this, you can view youtube, and other net media. In this concept, they are in tune with awareness concept with the changing world. b) SECOND - Trying to realized the SELF which is the brahman. In this regard, they first realize the individual Self as you wrote above called atmaa, and then the Universal atmaa, the Brahman.

In the terminology of Vedas: aadau atmaa tat param brahma... First realization of individual self occurs, and then the universal self.

A2: Self Knowledge. Is merely another way to express A1. In A1, one is taling about an activity called enquiry/search/practice/saadhana/etc. In A2, we are talking about the noun result aspect of it.

Posted 2007-07-27 3:21 PM (#92791 - in reply to #92783)

I think that we are on ther same page here. (American slang for in agreement.)
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-27 4:40 PM (#92794 - in reply to #89049)

Hurray!
Kaos
Posted 2007-07-28 10:41 AM (#92834 - in reply to #92772)

jimg - 2007-07-24 1:22 PM

These are very arrogant statements! They are based on prejudices not facts.

jimg - 2007-07-27 12:26 PM

Kaos,
I am not accusing Neel of talking philosophy in the context of religion... I meant no value judgement nor accusation.

Namaste Jimg,

You were the one who reacted by interpreting Neels posts as "arrogant" and "based on prejudice", earlier in the thread.

Please, no back tracking now.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now as you seem to have learned quite a lot. That is always good. I sincerely congratulate you for a job well done.

Kaos
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)