YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Self-Enquiry
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

souljourney108
Posted 2007-06-06 5:43 AM (#88622)
Subject: Self-Enquiry

Hey Yogis,

Ramana Maharishi...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNVWGc1snBo&mode=related&search=

Hari Om,
Soul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-06 7:58 AM (#88632 - in reply to #88622)
Subject: RE: Self-Enquiry

I have some students, espcially western students, who have misunderstood this concept of Self Enquiry.

With all respect to the sage Ramana, the method of Self Enquiry is nothing but a Meditation of some kind.

Without form, nothing can be done. Even this speech on Enquiring on source of I while discarding other things, needs a video of flowers, background of music, pictures of saints, etc. In fact, when you hear this speech, you shall find that these images shall form a substratum of your self enquiry.

Also, I disagree that Self Enquiry can be done at all times of the day including intense office meetings, etc.

Peace.
souljourney108
Posted 2007-06-07 12:43 AM (#88763 - in reply to #88632)

kulkarnn - 2007-06-07 9:58 PM

I have some students, espcially western students, who have misunderstood this concept of Self Enquiry.
With all respect to the sage Ramana, the method of Self Enquiry is nothing but a Meditation of some kind.
Without form, nothing can be done. Even this speech on Enquiring on source of I while discarding other things, needs a video of flowers, background of music, pictures of saints, etc. In fact, when you hear this speech, you shall find that these images shall form a substratum of your self enquiry.
Also, I disagree that Self Enquiry can be done at all times of the day including intense office meetings, etc.
Peace.

The questions "who am I" or "where does this i come from?" points to the Self, prior to thought, who we are. Maybe people misunderstand, as it is so simple. The mind tries to understand what cannot, ultimately be understood by mind. Many people have such a strong habit of existing entirely in mind. Too much knowledge can be a hindrance to liberation.

If you believe the thought that you cannot practice Self Enquiry during intense office meetings, then it is true for you.
This method is not for everyone...as you know many paths to Self-realization to suit different people... Bhakti yoga, Nad Yoga, Hatha Yoga, Karma yoga etc...

Hari Om,
Soul

Bob
Posted 2007-06-07 2:34 AM (#88772 - in reply to #88622)

The questions "who am I" or "where does this I come from?" are classic questions for moving deeper that simple awareness of a witness. Witness merges with something (nothing!!!) that is intuitively realized as existing in deep sleep, anesthesia, and may be death. This is direct way to a Self. I agree that a speech and different pictures only distract from this way.

The practice of this method is possible at any time but after experience.

Edited by Bob 2007-06-07 2:37 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-07 10:33 AM (#88823 - in reply to #88763)

The questions "who am I" or "where does this i come from?" points to the Self, prior to thought, who we are. Maybe people misunderstand, as it is so simple. The mind tries to understand what cannot, ultimately be understood by mind.
===> It is simple in concept. Harder in practice. Those who practice it, and whom I have met are still practicing.

Many people have such a strong habit of existing entirely in mind. Too much knowledge can be a hindrance to liberation.
==> Yes. Agreed.

If you believe the thought that you cannot practice Self Enquiry during intense office meetings, then it is true for you. This method is not for everyone...as you know many paths to Self-realization to suit different people... Bhakti yoga, Nad Yoga, Hatha Yoga, Karma yoga etc...
===> Agreed. But, what I actually meant to say was: This method is not for everyone and also not for an average one. It is harder than BhaktiYoga method. In fact, without BhaktiYoga, nothing is possible.

Hari Om,
Soul

dmbones
Posted 2007-06-07 4:52 PM (#88867 - in reply to #88622)

souljourney108 - 2007-06-05 2:43 AM

Hey Yogis,

Ramana Maharishi...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNVWGc1snBo&mode=related&search=

Hari Om,
Soul

Hi Soul,

Thnaks. "Peace is our natural state; thoughts are distractions."

I remember John Friend saying to me, "It all comes from the same place now."

Michael
souljourney108
Posted 2007-06-07 7:35 PM (#88880 - in reply to #88622)

"The practice of this method is possible at any time but after experience".

....I agree with this.

"Those who practice it, and whom I have met are still practicing".
"In fact, without BhaktiYoga, nothing is possible".

....Yes, the habit to turn away from the Self can be so strong. I also think whatever practice or practices we choose need to have the momentum of sincere devotion, Bhakti, the deep desire and more than desire, the Love of , dwelling in the Self (peace, who one is, god, there are many words...).
Like Nisagardatta says..."One must be earnest". To me this is real Bhakti, to love the Self, more than any thing.

"It all comes from the same place now."

..... That's beautiful, because it means whatever thoughts or feelings arise, so called pleasant or unpleasant, it doesn't matter anymore...no preference...they are just seen as thoughts or feelings. No need for affirmations ay!...

Hari Om,
Soul

Kaos
Posted 2007-06-07 8:06 PM (#88884 - in reply to #88622)

Om purnam adah, purnam idam, purnat purnam udacyate; purnasya purnam adaya puram evavasisyate.

Om Santih! Santih! Santih!

That is Full; this is full. From the Full does the Full proceed. After the coming of the Full from the full, the Full alone remains.

Om. Peace! Peace! Peace!

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-07 10:42 PM (#88896 - in reply to #88622)

The word Bhagawan (to be correctly pronounced as bhagawaana, bhagawan is a name to call or talk to Bhagawaana), comes from bhaga = ultimate luck, which includes all auspicious qualities material and spiritual. The first person in the history of India to be called bhagawaana was Shree Krishna and the name was given by Shree Veda Vyasa.

Bhagawaana in the later ages indicates a person who is worshippable, and that includes many saints who were born later, including the sage Ramana Maharshi. And, appropriately, he is worshipped by his devotees, including using flowers, sandle paste, and candles. Thus, devotion to God, is must, not just the principle.

And, the above is done regardless of the actual method of Self Enquiry.

OM Peace
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)