YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teaching Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Sunshine79
Posted 2007-06-03 5:04 PM (#88359)
Subject: Teaching Yoga

Are there any opportunities to teach yoga in eastern pa? How do I go about finding out? Any information would help. I would love to teach yoga and would be very happy doing so, however, I need to be able to justify it. Do you find that it not only makes you happy, but that you can make a living doing so?
Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-06-03 8:49 PM (#88374 - in reply to #88359)
Subject: RE: Teaching Yoga

I would think the best way to do such a thing, pragmatically, is to google studios in the region and make email contact. I can't tell if you are already a yoga teacher or are interested in teacher training.

Others may feel radically different compared to me but here is my take.
Teaching yoga is a tremendous responsibility. Students will come to you with a myriad of issues. Some of them will be physical and others will be emotional or even spiritual. And they will rely on you to guide them. In addition they will walk into your asana classes and turn their well being over to you without so much as an introduction. And these things, as yoga teachers, we must hold with respect, focus, and commitment to our craft.

I don't believe, therefore, that teaching yoga gets "justified". You have to feel this is something you are doing with your life and be called to do it from a very deep part of you. That calling is such that you continue your studies perhaps for the rest of your years.

I am aware that some merely view yoga as asana and some merely view asana as exercise or fitness, or a workout. IN neither scenario do I think earning a living is the sound motivation for moving forward. You make reap many benefits from teaching and some of them may be financial, but maybe not.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-06-03 8:51 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-03 11:44 PM (#88387 - in reply to #88359)

Dear Sunshine: I wish you all the best and also encourage you. However, please read Purna's response carefully and try to understand his statement. I am sure you shall get a lot. Also, I can add that: When you are doing it for income, make sure that you have surveyed such a possibility and decided a proper balance between Yoga and NonYoga incomes.

Neel

Sunshine79 - 2007-06-03 5:04 PM

Is there any opportunities to teach yoga in eastern pa? How do I go about finding out? Any information would help. I would love to teach yoga and would be very happy doing so, however, I need to be able to justify it. Do you find that it not only makes you happy, but that you can make a living doing so?
Thanks!
Kaos
Posted 2007-06-04 7:48 AM (#88406 - in reply to #88359)

I agree with the spirit of both previous replies.

To me, teaching yoga takes a lot of responsibility that goes beyond the financial concerns, not to mention the qualifications of what it takes to be called a "yoga" teacher.
Others may take a different view...

Whatever course you decide to take, my best wishes on your endeavors.

Namaste

Posted 2007-06-04 9:41 AM (#88411 - in reply to #88359)

i live in eastern PA (Limerick) and train teachers independently in a one-on-one scenario to meet their individual needs and interests. if you'd like to discuss this in more detail, then pm me.

it is possible to 'earn a living' while teaching yoga and there is plenty of opportunity to teach in my area of eastern PA. i get offers every day that i cannot accept and i have to give recommendations. i usually recommend those teachers whom i train.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-04 6:45 PM (#88452 - in reply to #88359)

i am moving to Limerick!

(Only to meet ZB.)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)