YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random musings...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

karmann
Posted 2007-06-02 7:22 PM (#88275)
Subject: Random musings...

... well, maybe they're not so random at all, on second thought.

Anyway, I am back in my Iyengar class and I have to say, despite some major ego deflation (and believe me it's not that big when I walk in there anyway), I am overjoyed to be back with this teacher and doing this yoga again.

I'm in Level 2 this year. We chant in class... last week our teacher gave everyone a sheet with the words and said we could use that in class to go along with the chant if we wanted. It sounded like almost everyone else knew all the words- most of them have been taking yoga with her for some time. I didn't really want to chant so I just kept my eyes closed and listened. I think I'd rather LEARN the words to myself first and then try chanting along. I hope she didn't take my non-chanting as a sign of rebelliousness, or something. I was just a tad concerned she'd say something to me. She can be quite... confrontational. Anyway, how much is it expected in your chanting classes that everyone participate?

What else.... Level 2 is very difficult. Not that 1 wasn't, mind you. This class is two hours. And she expects us to practice at home (which I would do anyway, as I like to.)

So we were doing Sirsasana the other day and she was not happy with my shoulders and upper back (I think) and wanted me to get them away from the wall. (We all did our handstands close to a wall.) Not that I was touching the wall in any way, but I guess I was a little rounded. Oh, and also she kept asking me to lift my shoulders. The only time I could get her to stop asking me to do that was when I pressed my forearms, wrists, and the blades of my hands hard into the floor until I actually felt my head come off the floor slightly. And it was very difficult to stay like that for long- is that how the pose is supposed to feel?

When I'm upside down I honestly have a hard time with what words like "lift" mean. Maybe because we're usually not asked to lift the shoulders?

The final insult came when, after probably about 5 -6 minutes of sirsasana, my body arbitrarily decided to have a hot flash. (You guys don't know what you're missing.) After that, my brain shut completely down, I think.

Any comments/obserbations about sirsasana (or hot flashes or chanting) are welcomed. One day soon I'm going to get husband to take more asana pictures so you can see what I'm talking about....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
erikro
Posted 2007-06-02 7:33 PM (#88277 - in reply to #88275)
Subject: RE: Random musings...

From reading your post it seems like that class/teacher isnt allowing you to enjoy your yoga. I hope it was just me taking your post in the wrong tone. Otherwise I might try a different class/teacher.
erikro
Posted 2007-06-02 8:31 PM (#88283 - in reply to #88275)

Honestly I havent taken many classes but the ones I have had a warm reception and were very welcoming. I really enjoyed them and need to get back to them more. I never felt intimidated or that the teacher was intimidating. She was very encouraging and I appreciated the fact that there was no sense of competition or anywhere to get to. Everyone was satisfied with where they were, just enjoying the experience they were having.

Erik

Posted 2007-06-02 8:51 PM (#88285 - in reply to #88275)

Hi Karmann.

Sounds like a very engaging practice you were having with this teacher you fancy.
I typically do not believe teachers have the power or responsibility to facilitate or inhibit the students joy of the practice. Teachers of course can be agressive, harsh, mellow, sing-songy and a variety of other things. However that, by itself, does not shift the onus for the joy and gratitude from the student's shoulders to the teacher's.

And while we're on shoulders...a bit about sirsasana (headstand).
First, keep in mind that this particular teacher may have a particulr take on the pose. So in almost all cases it is best to ask the source. I will tell you that the idea of moving the shoulder blades (not the shoulders) away from the floor/neck/earlobes should not lift the head. The action requires mobility of the shoulder blades and just as you are able to draw them down the back body (without presssing the arms into anything) so to can you do the same movement when inverted (without pressing the arms down).

When the action IS done by pressing the arms down, of course the head will lift. It takes most students quite a bit of time and focused work to get mobility in the shoulder blades (unstick them from the back of the ribs). This is a really good example of how there are different ways to create and action in the body. It is similar to "tuck the tailbone" which can be accomplished without bringing the mind or awareness to the coccyx at all. It is the origin of the action AND the result, not just the result.

Again, the caveat must be if this particular teacher WAS trying to get you to lift the head or it is their belief that the pose is properly executed in this way, then of course my statements are not aligned with that theme.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-06-02 8:53 PM
tourist
Posted 2007-06-02 9:01 PM (#88287 - in reply to #88283)

Expert Yogi

Whew - yes, the Iyengar approach to the ego can be serious work! And some teachers are more sharp and gruff than others, but all those I have met (and a few have been quite confrontational) have had hearts of pure gold and always keep the safety and well being of the student ahead of any other considerations.

The trick with instructions is that you have to remember that they mostly involve actions you have learned in other poses, so when you go upside down you don't have to try to make your poor upside down brain work properly (though it will over time, most of the time... ), you just have to remember the feeling in your body. Shoulder blades essentially always move toward the waist, away from the ears, just like in tadasana. Although you may think you are lifting them as much as humanly possible, I doubt it will ever be enough for an Iyengar teacher to say "that's enough! Don't lift anymore!"

Hot flashes - well, I am just barely beginning to have that lovely experience and mine I think, are pretty low wattage so far. I will count my blessings From what I have seen in class, if your teacher knows you are having them, they are pretty much a free pass to come out of a pose, especially a heating pose such as headstand. I don't think it is considered a healthy thing to stay in the pose when you are overheated that way. Let your teacher know and just give the fanning-of-the-face signal if you come out of a pose because of it. I think it is an international women's hand gesture

Chanting - I am always amazed at how many students like to chant. And often not those I would expect. But as my eyes are closed as well, I can't really tell unless a voice stands out. And I have always been told that chanting is 100% optional, at least until you are in the higher levels of training. You can go to BKS Iyengar's website and hear him chant the invocation.
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-03 8:04 AM (#88310 - in reply to #88275)

karmann - 2007-06-03 6:20 AM

You know, I had been thinking about starting a post under the "Yoga Teachers" forum entitled "teaching styles" or something of that sort. I've now had 4 different teachers with very different styles.

My advice is study from the one you learn most from. This may not be the one you like most though

Jonathon

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-03 8:33 AM (#88311 - in reply to #88275)

karmann - 2007-06-02 7:22 PM

Any comments/obserbations about sirsasana (or hot flashes or chanting) are welcomed. One day soon I'm going to get husband to take more asana pictures so you can see what I'm talking about....

This is what I feel:

1. The idea of discussing an instructor, or instruction from one person with another person is NOT totally invalid, but it has to be contextual. I mean the other person should really know what is happening, if possible the other person should know the instructor or instruction you are talking about. Otherwise, it is only discussing the personality, rather than the point you wish to make.

2. As far as possible, a question about a particular instructor or instruction should be directly addressed that instructor. If that instructor refuses any answer, that is not a good instructor. Once the answer is giv en it should be used as an instruction.

Namaste
tourist
Posted 2007-06-03 10:29 AM (#88317 - in reply to #88275)

Expert Yogi

Karmann - I think that constant instruction and walking around the room are what kept me going in the beginning. My mind was SO focused that I had not idea of the time and it just flew by. I was sometimes even disappointed when she told us to prepare for savasana!

As for puzzling instructions, I too take them home and play with them before asking questions. If you can practice and observe carefully until you actually SEE what was meant, you will have that understanding in your body, which is better than having an answer in your head. I also find that teachers (including me) are happy to hear a question that starts out with "I have been working on this instruction at home for several weeks and still need help/clarification etc." I have seen teachers take a question like that and base their entire class plan around explaining it, without necessarily giving a,b,c instructions. Eventually it is good to ask because there are usually several folks in the class privately wondering the same thing
kristi
Posted 2007-06-04 2:48 PM (#88436 - in reply to #88275)

Veteran

As for puzzling instructions, I too take them home and play with them before asking questions. If you can practice and observe carefully until you actually SEE what was meant, you will have that understanding in your body
------
This advise is so wise !

Being somehow forced by the circumstance to work this way (no Iyengar yoga where I am staying) I experience the importance of also working alone and observing yourself !!!
I feel it brings you nearer to the essence of yoga.
But of course also a teacher IS needed.
And one of the teacher's most important jobs is
first, to give you a good basis, and then to also motivate you to work alone at home (like tourist just did)

Posted 2007-06-16 12:58 AM (#89543 - in reply to #88275)

And so I may clarify now that this thread has grown... it would be out of balance to blurt out every question that crosses the mind in class. Likewise it might be so considered to not say a word. For the student who never speaks up, in class or out, the work may be to speak up a little. For the student who is always talking (like myself) the work is to learn to be quiet without being silent all the time.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-06-16 12:59 AM
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-02-24 1:11 PM (#113878 - in reply to #88275)
Subject: Re: Random musings...

i would think that your appraoch to chant is fine.

in sirsasana, shoulders often drop. you can practice lifting them by placing the arms and head, and then as you press the wrists, lift the shoulders away from the floor. your head should NOT come off the floor.

PLS talk with your instructor about your questions and concerns.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)