YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iyengar study in India
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

laraduke
Posted 2007-05-31 3:13 PM (#88030)
Subject: Iyengar study in India

I am hoping to travel to India in December/January to study Iyengar yoga for around a month. I am looking at the different centres on the Internet but it's all quite confusing so would really appreciate any pointers, tips or information from anyone who has done something similar. I would preferably like to be in the Kerala area but am open to any suggestions. Many thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-31 3:29 PM (#88034 - in reply to #88030)
Subject: RE: Iyengar study in India

Dear Lara:
With all love, best luck. I have NOT done something similar, but I am hundred percent sure of what I am talking.

1. For your goal, you should not confuse Kerala+IY. You should keep them separate.

2. There is a teacher called Arun, who is the greatest resource for you. He is my friend. He shall be in DC area within next couple of months. You can come and see him, and also meet him. And, later you can go to his class in Bangalore. Bang is not too close, but not too far from Kerala.

3. If you want to go to India with me as a guide, write to me. If you go to Pune, I have a very nice rental place for you.

Arun= search on Prashant Yogashraya. You can give him my name as reference after we know each other via email or phone.

laraduke - 2007-05-31 3:13 PM

I am hoping to travel to India in December/January to study Iyengar yoga for around a month. I am looking at the different centres on the Internet but it's all quite confusing so would really appreciate any pointers, tips or information from anyone who has done something similar. I would preferably like to be in the Kerala area but am open to any suggestions. Many thanks!
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-05-31 10:01 PM (#88081 - in reply to #88030)

Expert Yogi

laraduke - 2007-05-31 3:13 PM I am hoping to travel to India in December/January to study Iyengar yoga for around a month. I am looking at the different centres on the Internet but it's all quite confusing so would really appreciate any pointers, tips or information from anyone who has done something similar. I would preferably like to be in the Kerala area but am open to any suggestions. Many thanks!

Hi Lara,

You should look up the details of the RIMYI in Pune -- this is BKS Iyengar's school. You will find it easily with Google. There's a bit of a procedure to get in, with applications and rules, but most people who go to India to study Iyengar yoga go there.

There are also many most excellent Iyengar teachers in the US (are you in the US?), and you may find that you will learn equally as much by finding a senior teacher here as you will by going to India.  Of course, if your aim is to experience India, I would recommend that you go to India rather than staying here.

Kerala is home to a number of resorts aimed at western visitors, including some that have yoga in one form or another.  I haven't been, but I understand it to be lovely.  Pune is not an especially lovely town (IMHO), although RIMYI is in a very nice district, safe for walking about and a place where you are not mobbed by beggars.

.. bg

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-31 11:02 PM (#88086 - in reply to #88081)

Bay Guy - 2007-05-31 10:01 PM

Pune is not an especially lovely town (IMHO), although RIMYI is in a very nice district, safe for walking about and a place where you are not mobbed by beggars.

.. bg

===> Hey Hey Hey Bay Gay.
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-01 3:18 AM (#88097 - in reply to #88030)

Hi Lara,

Unless you have a strong Iyengar background and a few years training with a certified teacher (and can prove it), it is quite difficult to study at the Pune institute.

If you do go, either commit for a minimum of one month or choose the week(s) that you study there carefully as they follow a rotation of study. i.e: week 1-standing poses, week 2-forward bends and twists, week 3-back bends, week 4- pranayama.

Another excellent option is the Iyengar institute in Bombay/Mumbai. Some of Mr. Iyengar's most senior teachers teach there and they have drop in classes for both beginners and experienced students alike.

Jonathon
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)