YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soft drinks harm DNA
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

dmbones
Posted 2007-05-28 10:35 AM (#87574)
Subject: Soft drinks harm DNA

Caution: Some soft drinks may seriously harm your health
Expert links additive to cell damage

By Martin Hickman, Consumer Affairs Correspondent
Published: 27 May 2007
A new health scare erupted over soft drinks last night amid evidence they may cause serious cell damage. Research from a British university suggests a common preservative found in drinks such as Fanta and Pepsi Max has the ability to switch off vital parts of DNA.

The problem - more usually associated with ageing and alcohol abuse - can eventually lead to cirrhosis of the liver and degenerative diseases such as Parkinson's.

The findings could have serious consequences for the hundreds of millions of people worldwide who consume fizzy drinks. They will also intensify the controversy about food additives, which have been linked to hyperactivity in children.

Concerns centre on the safety of E211, known as sodium benzoate, a preservative used for decades by the £74bn global carbonated drinks industry. Sodium benzoate derives from benzoic acid. It occurs naturally in berries, but is used in large quantities to prevent mould in soft drinks such as Sprite, Oasis and Dr Pepper. It is also added to pickles and sauces....

http://news.independent.co.uk/health/article2586652.ece

Michael

Edited by dmbones 2007-05-28 10:38 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Joanne
Posted 2007-06-16 8:32 AM (#89549 - in reply to #87574)
Subject: RE: Soft drinks harm DNA

I also just came across this article today. Absolutely amazing!

This is why I've never allowed my kids to have softdrinks and the oldest one is 12 now. His friends can't believe that he's never had Coke in his whole life.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-16 7:26 PM (#89577 - in reply to #89549)

dmbones: Thanks for the valuable information.

Joanne: Your kids are luckiest. But, please do not assume that they will never take the coke in the future life. Coke is poisonous, but very powerful, like Financial World!!!

Joanne - 2007-06-16 8:32 AM

I also just came across this article today. Absolutely amazing!

This is why I've never allowed my kids to have softdrinks and the oldest one is 12 now. His friends can't believe that he's never had Coke in his whole life.

Posted 2007-06-17 3:17 PM (#89628 - in reply to #87574)

this is interesting stuff.

while reading it, i was reminded of SENS which i read about last night again. it's intneresting how these things keep coming up.

one of the things that SENS deals with is healing mitochondrial function.

anyway, it's highly controversial, but here's the web site about it: http://www.sens.org

Posted 2007-06-17 9:33 PM (#89640 - in reply to #87574)

I find things like this to be quite ironical.
Why would someone drink any beverage that has nine tablespoons of refined sugar or some chemical sweetner that may cause cancer in laboratory animals? I mean honestly, is there any redeeming value to soft drinks in the human diet? And yet we need a team of scientists to spend millions of dollars and do a study to tell us it might be a good idea if we didn't drink them. What a world!

Further compounding my skul scratching are those who don't consume soft drinks, admonish those that do (or prevent others from consuming them) while swilling down three cups of coffee per day and/or several alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, liquor). Of course one of the differences is that these last two beverages do have some medicinal value while soda does not.

Posted 2007-06-17 10:39 PM (#89643 - in reply to #87574)

whew!

i'm totally in the clear!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-17 11:47 PM (#89650 - in reply to #89640)

purnayoga - 2007-06-17 9:33 PM

Why would someone drink any beverage that has nine tablespoons of refined sugar or some chemical sweetner that may cause cancer in laboratory animals? I mean honestly, is there any redeeming value to soft drinks in the human diet? And yet we need a team of scientists to spend millions of dollars and do a study to tell us it might be a good idea if we didn't drink them. What a world!

===> That is the world Purnaji.

Further compounding my skul scratching are those who don't consume soft drinks, admonish those that do (or prevent others from consuming them) while swilling down three cups of coffee per day and/or several alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, liquor). Of course one of the differences is that these last two beverages do have some medicinal value while soda does not.

===> In other words, 'where there is poison, there is virtue'. Every poison has its own evil virtue just like coffee and alcohol have!!!!!!

Posted 2007-06-18 12:31 PM (#89690 - in reply to #89643)

Oh you are NOT! Sooner or later we'll get you....too.

zoebird - 2007-06-17 7:39 PM

whew!

i'm totally in the clear!

Posted 2007-06-19 7:53 AM (#89718 - in reply to #87574)

oh really?
susanchain
Posted 2007-06-28 3:33 PM (#90312 - in reply to #87574)

In China, some parents take their children to eat in the KFC or Mcdonald's on their children's birthday or as a prize when the children have done something good, which is very ironical. The parents think it's a way to show their love or a way to encourage the children which is like a deal. One of my niece is 8 years old now. She knows how to please the adults to get what she wants.

Posted 2007-06-28 3:40 PM (#90314 - in reply to #87574)

treating something like soda or KFC as a treat, rather than food to eat all the time, actually deosn't seem like such a bad way to deal with it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-28 5:44 PM (#90333 - in reply to #87574)

I do not know why the h... they are called soft drinks when they are so hard on us. Actually, they should be called **** drinks.
Ellie
Posted 2007-06-29 3:10 PM (#90362 - in reply to #89640)

purnayoga - 2007-06-17 9:33 PM

I totally agree with u on this one.

Edited by Ellie 2007-06-29 3:12 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2007-06-29 3:26 PM (#90363 - in reply to #90312)

Expert Yogi

susanchain - 2007-06-28 3:33 PM In China, some parents take their children to eat in the KFC or Mcdonald's on their children's birthday or as a prize when the children have done something good, which is very ironical. The parents think it's a way to show their love or a way to encourage the children which is like a deal. One of my niece is 8 years old now. She knows how to please the adults to get what she wants.

That is not just a China thing.....this has been going on for eons.  I think it originated here in America,

For what it's worth.  When I was growing up, drinking a coke and eating a Burger King Whopper or a McDonalds Big Mac was a once in a while thing.  Back then we didn't have all those chemicals and the crap added to the food.  Now days...you couldn't pay me to eat a Burger King Whopper, much less a McD's burger.  I won't eat Beef - period.  Although.....Every now and again, I do love to drink a Coca-Cola Classic or my favorite movie combo - Popcorn, Dr. Pepper and Raisinets...sugar and all!!  This past week I was visiting my sister.  We had a Borat movie party and drank 2 bottles of wine - it was great.  I think I shall drink wine to keep my cholestrol at bay, heehee   I bought a couple of organic wines with no sulfites added...it's very nice.

Has anyone tried the new Smart Water or Vitamin Water??? At first I thought, Oh my God...but, turns out it's not half bad.  I drink it sometimes....like when I stayed in a hospital for a week taking care of my ex-MIL, or when I'm in stressful travel situations or visiting the nursing home that dear ex-MIL is staying in.  Sure as hell beats soda's in a world that is lacking just plain WATER.

Posted 2007-07-03 8:13 AM (#90562 - in reply to #87574)

i don't have a big problem with smart water--it's at least free of dyes and a good choice in a pinch. the same is true of vitamin waters. except they have dyes.

i don't drink wine because i don't like the taste, but red wines made with beet sugar are the ones that 'keep cholesterol at bay'--all others do not. thus, 'french wine' or french made wine is the best for cholesterol fighting. it's the betaine in the beet sugar in the wine that does it.

but, i think that in general wine has other benefits that are not specificly known. and people seem to enjoy it--so why not?

i love beets.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-03 10:38 AM (#90578 - in reply to #90562)
Subject: about wines

Expert Yogi

Actually.....I'm really not a big fan drinking wines - period.  I was joking earlier and having fun...we did have fun drinking those 2 bottles of wine and that was one of those wines that didn't effect me because of the higher quality wine we selected - it wasn't even organic and I took my chances.  Even though there are natural organic no sulfite added ones, I still have strong reactions to wine and sulfites. Which is why I quit drinking wine years ago. Unfortunately, the ones that don't give me the trouble are the really expensive varieties that don't do anything special or make claims about not adding sulfites, yadda yadda.  If I do drink a wine that doesn't affect me, it is by pure luck only.

Having that said.  This came from an Indian Wine Club.  I thought it was pretty interesting.  Here is the President's comments about red wine and cholestrol:

In fact, red wine increases the level of HDL- the good cholestrol, by 8-10%. This effect lasts for a few hours only. That is why it is recommended that the moderate quantity of wine should be taken REGULARLY. This has been one of the more startling finds at the Second International Wine and Heart Health Convention that I attended in Napa, USA in February this year. I have posted some more details on our website at www.delhiwineclub.com that may be of interest to you.
Subhash Arora
President, Delhi Wine Club

Then, I found this at their website, which was even more interesting:

Red wine good for nothing, speculate Indian doctors

In a shocking scenario bordering on bizarre, smelling of sensationalism and impregnated with ignorant and irresponsible rhetoric, scores of leading doctors participating in a national health summit organised by ASOCHAM in Delhi last Tuesday concurred that wine, beer or any alcohol could not be good for health.

Dismissing the widely held theory that red wine is good for health, leading Indian doctors Tuesday said that no one in the world has proved the positive side of either the red wine or any category of alcohol, reports IANS.

'I have gone through nearly 1.6 crores (16 million) articles on health and alcohol but none has proved that alcohol is good for health especially for heart,' said H. K. Chopra, chief cardiologist at Moolchand Medicity.

'It's simply a perception among people that taking red wine will do wonder for heart. Why don't they take grape juice instead?' Chopra, who is also the chairman of the World Heart Academy, said.

M.C. Mishra head of surgery at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here said: 'People drink alcohol, smoke five packets of cigarettes but never bother to take fruits. In the name of anti-oxidants, these wine companies promote wine and people blindly believe it.'

India needs more of health clubs and wellness centres rather than hospitals, said B.K. Rao chairman of Sir Ganga Ram Hospital .

'Most of our people are not health conscious. They take all junk foods, aerated drinks, alcohol and other unnecessary things and complain about the increasing disease burden.

'No one speaks about the benefits of exercise but are loud about wine. It's a worrying trend. We need good food and regular exercise to keep out heart healthy not red wine,' Rao told IANS on the sidelines of the summit.

S. C. Manchanda, a former head of cardiology at AIIMS expressed similar opinion and urged people to drink water instead of wine. 'Drink water, it will keep your body and mind clean.'

Shikha Sharma, a nutritionist also snubbed the idea of alcohol as a health enhancer. 'When people already have so much of burden, they cannot afford more with wine or any other form of alcohol. What we need is a balanced diet.'

Chopra also said that the growing nightclubs and pubs are just promoting alcohol among youngsters and it is worsening the situation. 'Sedentary lifestyle coupled with stress and alcohol are making the chronic disease scenario worst in India .'

Cardiologists of some of the known hospitals such as Moolchand Medicity, AIIMS, Max Heart & Vascular Institute and Ganga Ram Hospital took part in the debate. According to the cardiologists, wine intake adds toxic content to the human body. It damages and decays heart.

Therefore, cardiologists have suggested immediate ban on mushrooming pubs and bars in cities, especially in Delhi . Max Heart & Vascular Institute chairman Ashok Seth said ignorance among the people must be unfolded to discourage intake of alcohol and wine. The emergency health facilities in India are inadequate and hospitals are ill-equipped to look after patients.

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com
http://in.news.yahoo.com/070417/43/6eo3u.html

Reacting to the 'ridiculous report', Dr. Tedd Goldfinger, a cardiologist from Arizona, USA, who is also the convenor of the International Wine and Heart Summit held biennially in Napa said he would reply to the report in a few days with facts and figures. So would Dr. Klatsky of San Francisco who is considered a pioneer in conducting heart and wine studies for a period of 20 years, the results of which were published tin1998. Dr. Curt Ellison of Boston and many other doctors who have been involved with serious studies of years and who do not comment on the social aspects have promised to send their rebuttal soon along with facts and figures.

In the meantime, our readers' views are solicited. Any facts presented to ASSOCHAM at this conference will also be sought along with possible interviews with the participating senior doctors who were present. I have been attending the international health and wine conferences in the USA and interacting with several cardiologists and educationists overseas. Their opinion based on the studies carried out so far is unanimous: wine or any alcohol when taken regularly in moderate quantity; 2 glasses a day, is positively good for the heart and many other health related issues without any harm to liver. Wine has anti-oxidants which have shown several additional benefits in different studies.

These studies are done by non-wine related funding, usually by the governments or some other foundation grants.

More than two glasses are however, harmful for liver, heart, BP and many other organs, and certainly not advised if one is driving afterwards. A glass of wine a day is now recommended in the Health food plan issued by the government in the US as also in Denmark and several other countries. In fact China has reduced duties on wine so people can shift from higher alcohol drinks to wine, considered good for health. Details will be published in forthcoming issues of delWine. Watch this space - editor

DelWine recommends moderate amount of wine consumption as a healthy lifestyle product regularly, preferably with meals. But if one does not drink alcohol for social, religion or moral reasons, one is advised not to start drinking.

Drink wine, quality wine, regularly but moderately -editor

Edited by Cyndi 2007-07-03 10:40 AM

Posted 2007-07-03 11:15 AM (#90587 - in reply to #87574)

here's info about betaine and it's effect on cholesterol.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w99/vascular.html

summary: Homocysteine, a metabolite of the amino acid methionine, has been linked to an elevated risk of vascular disease. Supplementation with vitamins B6, B12, and folic acid, as well as betaine, has been shown to effectively lower homocysteine levels in the blood and may be expected to offer some protection against vascular disease.

this is from the linus pauling's instutite at U of Oregon.

betaine, found in beet sugar, is found in those wines which utilize beet sugar in their fermentation process, which is how/why it can affect cholesterol levels--via homocystiene levels. but, wines without it (eg red wines without it--and very few are made with it), don't have lasting results in lowering cholesterol.

the grape skins have the effect of cholesterol balancing for the brief period of time. one gets the same benefit from eating grapes or drinking grape juice--wine being unnecessary for the same result.

anyway, a friend of mine has problems with homocysteine levels so she eats a lot of beans (b6), beets (betaine, beet sugar), and takes b12 supplements (methylcobalamin form). she doesn't like red wines--even though she had some high quality ones in france made with betaine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)