YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hanging from ropes sirsasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

kristi
Posted 2007-05-27 6:44 AM (#87471)
Subject: hanging from ropes sirsasana

Veteran

Given the chance, with the question about ropes…
Certain uses of ropes are mentioned in the previous thread, but I noticed that nobody mentioned the hanging-from-ropes sirsasana.
I was wondering whether the hanging-from-ropes-sirsasana is included in the “traditional” Iyengar way/syllabus, because I don’t see it in any books.
My teacher is one of those senior, long-time teachers who do not anymore follow 100% the syllabus of Mr. Iyengar, as mentioned in that other thread/discussion between Glenda and Neel. (Although, indeed, he still VERY MUCH respects and honors Mr. Iyengar).
I was never taught the “real” sirsasana from my teacher, only the hanging-from-ropes- sirsasana, which is what I do.
Is this common in the “normal” Iyengar classes ?

(Sorry if this question seems naïve, but there are no Iyengar centers/courses in my country to compare with what I learn in India once a year)
Kristi
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-27 8:06 AM (#87474 - in reply to #87471)
Subject: RE: hanging from ropes sirsasana

Dear Kristi:
1. Of course Sirsasana is included. In fact, that is the first thing why the hanging ropes are used.

2. There is NO such a thing as Real Sirsasana. Though there is such a thing as: s without support, s with support at wall, s with lotus, etc.

3. It is of course difficult to teach Rope S in a group class, with some exceptions excluded.

Peace

kristi - 2007-05-27 6:44 AM

Given the chance, with the question about ropes…
Certain uses of ropes are mentioned in the previous thread, but I noticed that nobody mentioned the hanging-from-ropes sirsasana.
I was wondering whether the hanging-from-ropes-sirsasana is included in the “traditional” Iyengar way/syllabus, because I don’t see it in any books.
My teacher is one of those senior, long-time teachers who do not anymore follow 100% the syllabus of Mr. Iyengar, as mentioned in that other thread/discussion between Glenda and Neel. (Although, indeed, he still VERY MUCH respects and honors Mr. Iyengar).
I was never taught the “real” sirsasana from my teacher, only the hanging-from-ropes- sirsasana, which is what I do.
Is this common in the “normal” Iyengar classes ?

(Sorry if this question seems naïve, but there are no Iyengar centers/courses in my country to compare with what I learn in India once a year)
Kristi
savasana2
Posted 2007-05-27 10:20 AM (#87479 - in reply to #87471)

but i'm not interested in doing ropes sirsasana at home...i'd need at least two columns of ropes for that...and placed in a wall...
tourist
Posted 2007-05-27 10:45 AM (#87483 - in reply to #87479)
Subject: RE: hanging from ropes sirsasa

Expert Yogi

savasana - we start teaching rope sirsasana as well as the typical salamba sirsasana that most people consider headstand in Level II. But I didn't learn it until I was in teacher training, simply because we were not in a studio with ropes. You won't find it in any mainstream books for the same reason. Most people don't have and/or don't want to install ropes at home (though it is quite easy to do, it can be tricky to find a place to put them!). Once students are familiar with both poses, they can opt to use the ropes if they have an injury or specific therapeutic need, but generally the class does sirsasana on the floor.

For the sake of your home practice, it would be helpful for you to learn floor sirsasana if he thinks you are ready.

For people who are interested in this rope idea, you can check out Chris Saudek at http://yogalacrosse.com. There is a photo of rope sirsasana there, though they are using ceiling ropes and she has a booklet on how to use ropes as well. Oh - here are some nice images, as well: http://www.fullcircleyoga.net/photos4.html
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-27 11:31 AM (#87490 - in reply to #87483)

You anticipated my question for links to pictures -- thanks!!
savasana2
Posted 2007-05-27 12:30 PM (#87495 - in reply to #87490)

thx. tourist...but, i am able to do rope sirsasana...how to set it up and get into it on my own...have been doing this for some time...however, i don't wish to do this at home...i don't have the wall space to install even the least elaborate yoga wall rope system...what i'm currently interested in for home is a simple system that will allow me to work on my shoulder extension(see my ropes thread)...

thx.
Sav.
tourist
Posted 2007-05-27 12:32 PM (#87496 - in reply to #87495)

Expert Yogi

Yeah - I put that stuff on for lurkers or anyone who got curious by reading your question
savasana2
Posted 2007-05-27 12:46 PM (#87497 - in reply to #87471)

...that was a cool site...
kristi
Posted 2007-05-27 7:02 PM (#87516 - in reply to #87471)

Veteran

Tourist thanks very much for these links with the ropes-pictures.
About the difficulty of having the proper ropes at home: You don’t necessarily need to insert hooks in a wall. You can just chock in the opening of a door one of those common horizontal iron bars that athletes are using and on that bar you bind or you sew each side of a long, strong belt of 5 cm width. This is where I hang in sirsasana and it is working very well.

But because I was only taught to do this hanging sirsasana, I don’t yet try the floor sirsasana alone. Would prefer to first learn it from a teacher.
Kr
tourist
Posted 2007-05-27 7:54 PM (#87523 - in reply to #87516)

Expert Yogi

You are absolutely right to learn from a teacher. It is crucial for your neck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)