YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Long-time Iyengar teachers lea
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Sati Suloshana
Posted 2009-05-17 11:06 AM (#115999 - in reply to #87324)
Subject: Re: Long-time Iyengar teachers lea

It is really great that there is so much diversity in modern American yoga, actually. You can find the entry point that your body mind spirit needs, likes, finds accessible at any given time, & then branch out from there. When I first practiced, my allergies were so bad that I didn't really like styles that emphasized a lot of breathwork. Now, I enjoy the ujjayi breath & feel it adds a lot to the practice. When I had a lot of fatigue, I learned to make use of props & support my poses, so that I could still practice. As I am a full-time desk worker, vinyasa & ashtanga class appeal, because I really need to move, sitting down 8 hrs per day at my computer. Astanga would have been way way too hard for me in the past; I didn't have the strength. When I started Iyengar classes with John Shumacher in the early 80's, after a back injury, sometimes class was the only time I felt good all wk long - because of the alignment detailing & the relaxation caused by focusing & listening to John's voice. At home after a long day at work & a long commute, I can do a set of Iyengar style standing poses & release the tension of the day - but Ashtanga class is great for the weekend, when I have more energy. I would love to do more yoga, actually, but my bodymindspirit needs other things too; aerobics, dance, core work (crunches & pilates & leg & knee strengthening). So I am glad to have this set of tools. I think Mr. Iyengar's work is a tremendous gift. But I'm also benefiting so much from Richard Hittleman, Master Sivananda, S. Vishnudevananda, Joseph Pilates, Pattabhai Jois, all of my teachers (not that I have met all of these people in the flesh). "Truth is one; many are the ways."
Top of the page Bottom of the page
vibes
Posted 2009-09-06 4:55 PM (#118169 - in reply to #87324)
Subject: Re: Long-time Iyengar teachers lea

Extreme Veteran

First of all I would like to send my great respect to Iyengar. For he is a man who made yoga popular in the west!

However I would highly recommend anyone interested in deepening yoga should leave this method alone. Unless you just want to stretch muscles and achieve postures and practice pranayama,asana,meditation as exercise.

It is a great shame that Iyengar corrects students. To correct is an incorrect way of doing things, because you do not allow for experience to teach the nervous system.You are not allowing the feedback process.In the same way you cannot teach a baby to walk. A correction is an error of the same magnitude in the opposite direction.We are organized to adapt.To be able to adapt is far more important than to be corrected or self correct. In other words his teaching methods are very poor. The most advanced teachers or students of this method will be better of trying to unlearn what they learnt with Iyengar.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)