YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I start tomorrow!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-18 3:29 PM (#86671)
Subject: I start tomorrow!

Finally heard back from my boss at the gym. They have an immediate opening, tomorrow morning, for a regular slot to teach yoga, beginner/intermediate level. I'm in!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2007-05-18 4:28 PM (#86679 - in reply to #86671)
Subject: RE: I start tomorrow!

Woot! Congrats! Good luck with the new job!
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-18 4:33 PM (#86681 - in reply to #86671)

Expert Yogi

Awesome OM. You see, the universe will guide you and provide for you.
Congrats and have fun!!!
Kym
Posted 2007-05-18 6:07 PM (#86686 - in reply to #86671)

WHAT?! You were just talking about not knowing when to start! CONGRATS!!!!! That is great news.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-18 6:12 PM (#86688 - in reply to #86686)

Yeah, I guess the universe got tired of hearing me whine about it.

Thanks everyone for believing in me!

Isola
Posted 2007-05-18 7:37 PM (#86697 - in reply to #86688)

Knock their socks off!!

Posted 2007-05-18 8:36 PM (#86702 - in reply to #86671)

Sparkle and flash kiddo! Enjoy the moment and know the gang will appreciate you.

Posted 2007-05-18 9:34 PM (#86711 - in reply to #86671)

Ask and it is given
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-18 10:47 PM (#86720 - in reply to #86671)

OrangeMat - 2007-05-18 3:29 PM

Finally heard back from my boss at the gym. They have an immediate opening, tomorrow morning, for a regular slot to teach yoga, beginner/intermediate level. I'm in!!

Hurray. OM shantiH OM shantih OrangeMat Shantih.
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-19 11:16 AM (#86752 - in reply to #86671)

That's excellent news OM.

I just know that you'll be brilliant.

Jonathon
souljourney108
Posted 2007-05-19 8:14 PM (#86772 - in reply to #86671)

Yaaaay!!!

Something I love to do at the end of a class, when the students have their eyes closed, is look at each of them and send them live, wish that they will abide in their true essence, peace, in this lifetime.

Blessings to all the yogis in this forum,

Soul

mishoga
Posted 2007-05-21 1:30 PM (#86921 - in reply to #86671)

Expert Yogi

OM, did you teach? If so, how did it go?
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-21 4:11 PM (#86942 - in reply to #86921)

Hi Mish,

Yes, I did teach, and I'm so pleased to say, it went great! And considering that the format got changed on the students from an all-levels Sivananda class to a beginners-intermediate alignment-based vinyasa class, all that attended were very happy what they experienced for the 55 minutes we had in the room together.

And you know what? I was thinking of you in particular when I started my class with three Om's, and sealed it with a single Om and Namaste to all. I took all the advice that everyone has been giving you about chanting in class and applied it to me: since I want to chant as what I teach, I went ahead and did so, and didn't fret over whether it would be well received or not in a gym-based yoga class. I taught how I know to teach, and because it was authentic and mine, it was accepted by all. So thank you, for voicing those questions and concerns in the first place!

So all I have to do now is come up with a theme for my next class... and my next class... and my next class... because coming up with the themes is what I find challenging for me. Well, finding something that's universally understood and experienced, let's put it that way. This past class' theme was balance; I think next week's will be drawing in to expand out. Fun, fun, fun!

tourist
Posted 2007-05-21 9:38 PM (#86957 - in reply to #86942)

Expert Yogi

Good for you OM! Here is an idea for themes that will take you a long way. Class #1 - tadasana, class #2 - adhomukha svanasana, class#3 - trikonasana ..........
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-22 6:50 AM (#86966 - in reply to #86957)

Thanks for the ideas, tourist. Actually, the way I've been taught to teach (and how I prefer, as well) is not a physical theme per se, but one that transcends physical, emotional, spiritual, etc.... pretty much what Yoga is. So when I spoke about balance last week, I spoke not about standing on one foot and the mechanics that apply there, but about balancing two sides of the same one thing, in all aspects of life, to find the centered (or balanced) point. So yes, we balanced left and right, front and back, top and bottom wrt the body, as well as mind and body, inside and outside, effort to surrender, outside of asana practice. In asana practice, we've been taught that what we do with our bodies is a metaphor for how we live our lives. The intention behind every yoga class is always kept with what the true meaning of Yoga practice is: methods to reduce the fluctuations of the mindstuff that cause us all so much grief. That's why I started with balance, because that's the biggest picture view of what Yoga really means to everyone, when it's all said and done.

But yes, I do teach the basic shapes. "Drawing in to expand out" is the conceptual definition of bracing the body for a backbend. Being contented within oneself and from oneself, both physically and emotionally (pyschologically too) allows one to open up to taking risks, venturing out into the world and sharing love (the heart-opening practice of a backbend). Asana-wise, I'm gearing up to wheel, or at least bridge. Certainly they'll learn the energetics I'm trying to teach, and they'll do whatever they can and feel good about it all.

Posted 2007-05-22 7:37 AM (#86967 - in reply to #86671)

Missy OM, the theme thing...I like that as well and get a lot of inspiration from what I encounter duting daily activity. For instance, this week might be a Memorial Day theme, i.e., perhaps an inspirational reading, thanks to those who came before us and have yet to do their part in protecting us. Maybe allude to Krisha's direction that if a warrior, be true to that. Then we have warrior asana practice.
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-18 3:50 PM (#208721 - in reply to #86671)

Regular

Its been 3-4 to years now since you joined as a beginner. So how was your experience?

Edited by roypotter 2011-06-18 3:54 PM
yoga_training
Posted 2011-06-28 1:32 AM (#208796 - in reply to #86671)
Subject: Re: I start tomorrow!

Yes, have you made any progress in your efforts to teach yoga?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)