YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Respect question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

tourist
Posted 2007-05-20 10:48 AM (#86822 - in reply to #86802)
Subject: RE: Respect question

Expert Yogi

purnayoga - 2007-05-19 10:56 PM
This has gotten so much more mileage than it deserves.

True, but it was due to come up again. We haven't had this discussion lately. It seems to be cyclical.

When you gather with a group of yogis it should be self-evident that the discussion and interaction will be frank - moreso than the discussion at the water cooler or another board - because of the interconnective nature of the practice. Perhaps that is an erroneous assumption on my part however.

I made this error once very publicly and it involved my kids. Perhaps that is why I try so hard for diplomacy here.

Finally, we mirror for each other. All we see is us. This is one of our grandest gifts in being on a crowded planet. The irritations we have in others are merely relfections of ourselves and we often do not like the shadow-self that is unprocessed or unacknowledged.

This is sometimes terrifyingly true.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-20 12:07 PM (#86830 - in reply to #86644)

Purna: Finally, we mirror for each other. All we see is us. This is one of our grandest gifts in being on a crowded planet. The irritations we have in others are merely relfections of ourselves and we often do not like the shadow-self that is unprocessed or unacknowledged.

===> Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, Mahabharata says:

satyam bruyaat priyam bruyaat na bruyaat apriyam satyamapi.

Tell truth when it is pleasant. Do not tell unpleasant truth. That is of course, contextual. For a real Yoga Student, a teacher may tell unpleasant truth, because everything is pleasant to such a student.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-20 12:26 PM (#86832 - in reply to #86830)

kulkarnn - 2007-05-20 12:07 PM

The irritations we have in others are merely relfections of ourselves and we often do not like the shadow-self that is unprocessed or unacknowledged.

This is sometimes true, but definitely not always. Some people are just more 'difficult' than others (not directing this at anyone in particular here). They rub people the wrong way, either with their comments or actions. These people might not even mean to have this effect on others, but due to poor interpersonal skills or personality disorders they can be offensive. When I come across somebody like this in my life I make a conscious decision to be polite and decent because I understand that getting 'irritated' is not worth it and won't change them. Inevitably, if I stay within that social organization I will find that many others have also experienced the same individual as 'difficult'. I am usually not the one to bring it up so as not to be seen as a 'gossip', but others will. This is evidence to me that the way I perceive their behavior is not due to a personal personality conflict, but rather it truly stems from them. Humor and understanding are the best tools when dealing with difficult people. It is also a good idea to spend as little time as possible with those people, but if that is unavoidable to just be polite and kind. However, it is still important not to reward their difficult behavior with undue respect. If you get upset then you risk losing your good reputation.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-20 10:48 PM (#86859 - in reply to #86832)

shalamOM - 2007-05-20 12:26 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-05-20 12:07 PM

The irritations we have in others are merely relfections of ourselves and we often do not like the shadow-self that is unprocessed or unacknowledged.

This is sometimes true, but definitely not always. Some people are just more 'difficult' than others (not directing this at anyone in particular here). They rub people the wrong way, either with their comments or actions. These people might not even mean to have this effect on others, but due to poor interpersonal skills or personality disorders they can be offensive. When I come across somebody like this in my life I make a conscious decision to be polite and decent because I understand that getting 'irritated' is not worth it and won't change them. Inevitably, if I stay within that social organization I will find that many others have also experienced the same individual as 'difficult'. I am usually not the one to bring it up so as not to be seen as a 'gossip', but others will. This is evidence to me that the way I perceive their behavior is not due to a personal personality conflict, but rather it truly stems from them. Humor and understanding are the best tools when dealing with difficult people. It is also a good idea to spend as little time as possible with those people, but if that is unavoidable to just be polite and kind. However, it is still important not to reward their difficult behavior with undue respect. If you get upset then you risk losing your good reputation.

===> Dear ShalamOM: I agree with you.
tourist
Posted 2007-05-21 1:23 AM (#86868 - in reply to #86859)

Expert Yogi

I had a coworker who called these folks "hard-to-serve customers."
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-21 3:01 PM (#86932 - in reply to #86830)

For a real Yoga Student, a teacher may tell unpleasant truth, because everything is pleasant to such a student.

When we come to see in one another that spark of universality which unites us all, the rest fades into the background, and shala, we are able to respond in a manner that may further it's recognition.

Michael
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)