YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

why inappropriate?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-18 1:57 PM (#86643)
Subject: why inappropriate?

Why is it appropriate to say that 'he is more advanced than me', but one cannot say 'I am more advanced than him'. If one is speaking only the truth than why is it considered appropriate to say the former, but not the latter?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-05-18 2:15 PM (#86651 - in reply to #86643)
Subject: RE: why inappropriate?

It is presumptuous to assume this is appropriate in the first place. It may not be. In some contexts it would be while in others it would not. In some instances it would be so ridiculous a statement that it would clearly be jest.

And these phrases are generalities. "Advanced" means what exactly? It is very non specific and requires a ton of interpretation for meaning on the part of the listener.

Obviously though, one statement is from humility the other from bragging. There is no purpose to saying "I am more advanced than him". It is useless chatter. The entire concept is foolish and doesn't need to be broached at all.

Philosophically speaking...
Speaking the truth only has its full efficacy when in alignment with the other Yamas and Niyamas.
Satya does not mean I run up to you and tell you I think your outfit is ugly. It does not mean I tell you your hair is a mess. This is not the sort of truth the sutras refer to. And then there is the deliver. If you know a truthful comment will cause hurt then you must pit satya against ahimsa. They must work synergistically.
tourist
Posted 2007-05-18 7:33 PM (#86696 - in reply to #86643)

Expert Yogi

It just isn't a word I would use in a yoga context, I think. If I refer to my teacher's practice, I would say that she has been practicing and teaching much longer than I have and knows a lot more. Or I would say she is capable of doing many asanas I am not ready for yet or something like that. I have heard various teachers be hesitant to use the term advanced asana and prefer to say a more complex asana or requiring more strength, stamina, or even athleticism. It seems to me that it is acceptable and not egocentric to say, "I can do a ten minute headstand," but it is unacceptable and very egocentric to add "and you can't." 'Specially if you do this right after

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-18 10:46 PM (#86719 - in reply to #86643)

shalamOM - 2007-05-18 1:57 PM

Why is it appropriate to say that 'he is more advanced than me', but one cannot say 'I am more advanced than him'. If one is speaking only the truth than why is it considered appropriate to say the former, but not the latter?

Advanced in What? If you know 'in what' and that is true, both are appropriate for me. But, only if there is a context or need to say so. Otherwise, I shall request you to read the Ego Thread again.
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-27 1:16 PM (#87499 - in reply to #86651)

purnayoga - 2007-05-18 11:15 AM

Philosophically speaking...
Speaking the truth only has its full efficacy when in alignment with the other Yamas and Niyamas.
Satya does not mean I run up to you and tell you I think your outfit is ugly. It does not mean I tell you your hair is a mess. This is not the sort of truth the sutras refer to. And then there is the deliver. If you know a truthful comment will cause hurt then you must pit satya against ahimsa. They must work synergistically.

Hi Gordon,

You raise another good point, the value of satya (truth) in the face of ahimsa (nonviolence to all creatures). In this regard, I find it helpful to follow this code:

Not everything we know can be spoken;
Of what can be said, not everything may be fit to the capacity of the person addressed;
Speaking to a fit person may not be timely.

I don't know how many times I've blurted out in my urgency to speak truthfully that which is inapproriate to the hearer, or not timely in the moment. Fortunately, I suffer less now than I used to.

Best,
Michael
souljourney108
Posted 2007-05-28 2:15 AM (#87545 - in reply to #86643)

Hey Yogis,

It's obvious from your discussion that i am way more advanced than all of you put together

Hari Om,
Soul
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-28 8:22 AM (#87559 - in reply to #87545)

I accept that.

souljourney108 - 2007-05-28 2:15 AM

Hey Yogis,

It's obvious from your discussion that i am way more advanced than all of you put together

Hari Om,
Soul
SCThornley
Posted 2007-05-28 9:17 AM (#87566 - in reply to #86643)

?relative comparison?

I don't know if comparison is something that the Yogi/Yogini will do, once one is on the Yoga path.

On the way, we may say that she has such better balance than me, but I can do headstand better than her, and I'm way more flexible than the 63 year old man who practiced next to me today in class....

but these are just physical

Good old fashioned Yoga isn't so rooted in the physical body

Cyndi
Posted 2007-05-28 9:49 AM (#87569 - in reply to #87499)

Expert Yogi

dmbones - 2007-05-27 1:16 PM

I don't know how many times I've blurted out in my urgency to speak truthfully that which is inapproriate to the hearer, or not timely in the moment. Fortunately, I suffer less now than I used to.

Hey Michael,

There's an art to this...ya wanna hear it?? It's funny, there was a time when I used to blurt out everything, no matter what. Most of the time people ignored me or they were geniunely interested..or in some cases very neutral and just listened to my ravings, .

Having that said...just in the past week I've had 2 people approach me telling me how much they enjoyed our conversation or they needed to talk to me because my wisdom over the years has inspired them to get throught their daily lives. The first person who just enjoyed our conversation was a lady I met while out hiking. She and I hiked the same mountain, at the same time and ended up on top at the same time. She was several feet in front of me, but we ended up on top of that mountain. Our conversation began, then it led into sooo many other things - spiritual, beekeeping, homeschooling, the earth's situation, etc. This lady even wrote my email address down using a piece of a charcoal stick from a camp fire onto a piece of paper. She's already sent me an email wanting to know about beekeeping and how to start!! The other person is my ex-mother-in-law, whom I've still maintained a relationship after 23 years.

The reason I'm telling you all this is because, I had to start somewhere. If I had not spoken the truth so many times, I would not have had the practice of being truthful, being myself and most importantly, being able to stand up for what is right and not being swayed into doing something that I felt was not appropriate from fear of not being able to speak up or speak the truth. I once had a Swami tell me this about the truth and I'll share it with you...he said:

In the case of an aspirant---there must be a constant
effort to prevent the trouble that has not yet come.
Practice of Truth---must be blended with the
quality of Love and understanding.

Scriptures say---"Speak the Truth. Speak that which
is pleasant (learn the art of presenting the truth in a way that it can be helpful to others.) Never speak the truth that is going to hurt others."

You need to look into your inward
thought--if you are guided by profound love, you
will have a special backing from God. You may
speak the truth, be criticized for it, and yet
in time you will be loved and adored.

In teaching children a mother must blend
firmness with tenderness.

So, he says speak the truth that will not hurt others. Sometimes what seems to hurt someone, may in fact help that person. When you're teaching, or hell, even dealing with average people in the world for that matter, you are walking on egg shells. Some people are extremely sensitive. No matter what you say they may get hurt. What I find so interesting is that a true yoga aspirant will accept that small amount of hurt - if you want to call it that for lack of a better word, apply it to themselves and their lives, if it has meaning, then they will become something greater than what they were before. It's a hit and miss type situation. I used to practice the "shotgun" method. Today I can read people much better and can use my words more appropriately. But, you gotta jump in and learn the art of how to first and start somewhere. Take care,

Edited by Cyndi 2007-05-28 9:50 AM
souljourney108
Posted 2007-05-28 7:14 PM (#87622 - in reply to #87559)

kulkarnn - 2007-05-29 10:22 PM

I accept that.

Hey Yogis,

Hari Om,
Soul

I hope you know it was a joke...I would honestly find it difficult to say I am more advanced than anyone. Feels 'wrong'.

Hari Om,
Soul
SCThornley
Posted 2007-05-28 7:18 PM (#87623 - in reply to #86643)

I read it all within giggles
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-28 10:55 PM (#87631 - in reply to #87622)

I also accept that.

souljourney108 - 2007-05-28 7:14 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-05-29 10:22 PM

I accept that.

Hey Yogis,

Hari Om,
Soul

I hope you know it was a joke...I would honestly find it difficult to say I am more advanced than anyone. Feels 'wrong'.

Hari Om,
Soul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)