YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

a question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Diet and NutritionMessage format

tubeseeker
Posted 2007-05-18 1:42 PM (#86639)
Subject: a question

where would food rank in relationship to doing yoga. Is what we eat considered less important then the act of postures and meditation? Also, anyone have a good link or book to ayurvedic eating habits such as a meal plan for the mroning, lunch and dinner with how to eat well in between so we may ofptimize digestion, brian function vitatlity, etc...
thanks
seeker

Edited by tubeseeker 2007-05-18 1:48 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-18 10:58 PM (#86722 - in reply to #86639)
Subject: RE: a question

tubeseeker - 2007-05-18 1:42 PM

where would food rank in relationship to doing yoga. Is what we eat considered less important then the act of postures and meditation? Also, anyone have a good link or book to ayurvedic eating habits such as a meal plan for the mroning, lunch and dinner with how to eat well in between so we may ofptimize digestion, brian function vitatlity, etc...
thanks
seeker

Dear Tubeseeker:

1. If one is doing Yoga for Physical Health, then food ranks more than Yoga Exericse.

2. If one is doing Yoga for Mental Health, Meditation ranks more than Food.

3. If one is doing Yoga for Spiritual Health, Meditation ranks more than food. And, devotion ranks more than Meditation.

4. But, if food is from a divine source, such as given by a spiritually realized saint, that food ranks above all other things, for any kind of benefit.

5. If you are interested in the subject of food and nutrition, PM me, and I shall guide you depending on your context.
ginkgo
Posted 2007-05-19 5:26 AM (#86739 - in reply to #86639)

I have been doing yoga since I was 12 and I think it is the best thing. But I think ayurvedic is nonsense. I feel America knows a lot more about nutrition than India. Also what you are asking is like asking what is more important, the outbreath or the inbreath.

A person is only as healthy as his weakest link. So if you go without exercise, it is bad. But so is going without food or sleep or sunlight or fresh air. So you should not try to rank inbreath, outbreath, sleep, food and exercise. Here is a site about Superior Nutrition.
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-05-19 10:56 AM (#86750 - in reply to #86639)

another question, lets say I was going to eat something heavy where I have a protein, bread product and vegtables in what order would it be best to eat that for digestion? If I eat the vegtables last woudl the enzymes help break down the others?
thanks
seeker
redrox
Posted 2007-05-20 2:14 AM (#86803 - in reply to #86639)

don't think the order really matters much. could be wrong. usually am here.
tourist
Posted 2007-05-20 10:50 AM (#86823 - in reply to #86803)

Expert Yogi

Actually red, I totally agree with you on this one. But there will be others who don't. This I know.
redrox
Posted 2007-05-20 12:41 PM (#86834 - in reply to #86639)

I've just never heard or read anything on the order of eating foods. It seems to imply almost a single width tube throughout the digestive tract to insure a "first come first processed" type of scenario and I know that isn't the case. I do believe in combining foods, particularly fats and/or proteins with higher glycemic carbohydrates to minimize their blood sugar impact, but I've never heard it suggested that the order in which foods are eaten would make a difference. I do tend to believe that quality, quantity, and balance of nutritional content matters.

If I had a few comments to improve the suggested meal, I'd say lose the bread product and include a whole grain product that is less processed and occupies no more than 1/4 of the plate, make sure the protein source is relatively lean and low in saturated fats and occupies no more than 1/4 of the plate, and pile on the veggies!

If improving digestion is the goal, eat more slowly and chew more thoroughly. I have a buddy who is a hard core cyclist and his trainer often puts "chew until liquified" on his training plans.

Edited by redrox 2007-05-20 12:54 PM
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-05-20 3:50 PM (#86842 - in reply to #86639)

red,
from my very limited knowledge, different foods are broken down in different ways at different parts of the body and maybe you know this
for example fruits are not digested much in the stomach and pass through rather quickly so they should be eaten alone cause eaten with other foods they may ferment in the body and become bad for you because they would be held in the stomack to long and interact with stomach juices
so are vegetables the same way or would their enzymes aid in the digestion of harder to break down foods. Cause if vegetable's were to ferment from interaction with other foods then it would be best that they are eaten first so they are on the bottom and have less interaction, but if they aid digestion it would be best that they are mixed in or on top/ Some of these things is what I would be curious to know
redrox
Posted 2007-05-20 6:01 PM (#86852 - in reply to #86639)

tube, just different views I guess. I combine fruits with fats/proteins to reduce their glycemic impact. Otherwise I tend to notice an insulin spike and drop and become hungrier much more strongly and quickly than normal and I can ride through that feeling, but don't enjoy it. Apple with peanut butter or cheese, or banana with peanut butter for instance. Your research indicates something different for you and if you choose that path and it works well for you, then that's what is important to you and for you. I haven't done a lot of research into the topic on whcih you're looking for info and guidance, so I could likely learn more from you than you from me! There's a lot of conflicting nutritional info out there to choose from, so pick what makes sense for you and test it to see how it feels and adjust accordingly.
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-05-21 12:05 AM (#86862 - in reply to #86639)

red, have your tried fruit 20 minutes before a meal? Maybe then you would not have that drop off?
what really made me start looking into it was making some tea.
I was making tea and for some strange reason, I added lemon and milk. This dreastically changed the milks characteristics and it did not look apetizing. So I figured if it does it here I could only imagine what it would do inside the body. It seems that some of the chimical reactions when mixing foods which would normally be good for you, can turn them bad because of the reaction they have with each other. So this subject is something I seek more information on
tourist
Posted 2007-05-21 1:28 AM (#86869 - in reply to #86862)

Expert Yogi

TS - when it hits your stomach, ALL of the food is blasted with hydrochloric acid, so to me, the timing thing is moot. But I do know others who feel differently and find they feel better with another approach. My issue, as will almost all food related "improvements" is that there is no way to double blind. If you think you feel better eating that way, it is very possible that you will feel better. And feeling better is good, no matter how or why.
redrox
Posted 2007-05-21 12:40 PM (#86914 - in reply to #86639)

I think along the same lines as tourist. Basically you are operating under a different set of beliefs and precepts than I am. While I might have some fruit before a meal, I tend to use it more as a between meal snack, so to go hungry during that time frame, just for the sake of having the fruit before the meal doesn't make sense given my own preferences and program. (And the fruit was just one example. There are other instances where this is true as well that do not involve fruit.) I am not worried about the fruit digesting properly if I combine it with cheese or peanut butter so changing my patterns and approach when I perceive no problem or ill effects with my current one, doesn't make a lot of sense for me. If it is important to you, then your patterns and approaches will reflect your own beliefs.

And yes, adding lemon to milk before it hits your stomach does change the nature of the milk. You are adding an acidic property to it, not unlike adding vinegar to milk to create something akin to buttermilk. If you do not like the effect, then add one or the other but not both! ;)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)