YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New sequence
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-15 3:00 PM (#86329)
Subject: New sequence

This is a new sequence I'm using. kinda gentle for me...

lay on back
three part breathing
alternate nostil breathing
bandhas
om
ankle and wrists
point and flex
happy baby
arm rotations
inlace fingers up and to the sides
spinal rolls
child
vajrasana
chest openers
repeat
Dolphin
turbodog
cat/cow
low lunge
downdog
low lunge
frog pose
knees to chest make circles
plank
cobra
child
plank/chaturanga/dog
dancing warrior (includes: 3-legged dog, warrior I, II, reverse, side angle, ardha chandrasana, parrvitta ardha Chandrasana, utkatasana)
triangle/sideangle bind/easy bird
prasarritta padottanasana
pryamid/warrior I, warrior III, low lunge twist/lizard/pigeon
repeat
Bakasana
bujapidasana
Navasana
core work, v-stretch
Ustrasana
anahatrasana
Dhanurasana
parva Dhanurasana
pachimottanasana
Baddha Konasana
uphavistha Konasana
Supta Konasana
Supta Padangustasana
Supta Paschimottasana
Plow
Fish
Wind Removing, turn head side to side
happy baby
Om
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-15 11:56 PM (#86367 - in reply to #86329)
Subject: RE: New sequence

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for putting such an effort for teaching your students.

Love and Peace

Posted 2007-05-16 12:53 AM (#86371 - in reply to #86329)

I'm speechless.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-16 8:38 AM (#86387 - in reply to #86367)

Thanks Neel!

I didn't end up doing everything. I had to cut back a little. It was such a nice class. I got such a positive vibe from the class last night.

It was really worth the effort.

Eric

TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-16 8:41 AM (#86388 - in reply to #86371)

You=speechless?

I'm curious, do you think it stinks or not?

Posted 2007-05-16 1:19 PM (#86423 - in reply to #86329)

Stinks? I don't think things "stink". Except of course the shirtless sweaty man in classes that Cyndi seems so fond of. That guy probably smells bad. But stinks?? No.

The list is quite long and it seems to be a lot of stuff. I can't really wrap my brain around it.
Mostly we're living in different hemispheres of the same yoga world. I could not do such a practice and I'm fairly sure I could not instruct such a sequence. I simply don't get it. Thus my speechlessness

I noticed in one of your other posts, where you refer to yourself as the "rebel", that you teach from your own practice and this is the way you were taught and taught to teach. So it seems you are doing that.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-16 1:35 PM (#86427 - in reply to #86423)

Thanks for explaining your opinion.

Andre
Posted 2007-05-16 2:00 PM (#86432 - in reply to #86423)

Extreme Veteran

purnayoga said: I noticed in one of your other posts, where you refer to yourself as the "rebel", that you teach from your own practice and this is the way you were taught and taught to teach.

I'm curious, what other way(s) are there to teach but from our own experience?
Could you elaborate on that?
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-16 2:07 PM (#86433 - in reply to #86329)

Hi Eric,

Why is your pranayama before your asana?

Jonathon
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-16 3:26 PM (#86445 - in reply to #86433)

A had a forrest yoga teacher that did pranayama before asana and I always enjoyed it. She would mix pranayama up with the postures. I never took to that. But I do like it before asana.
I did not do alternate nostil though yesterday. That was one thing I didn't end up doing. However, alternate nostil or shining skull can get the energy going.

If I did it at the end of class, it would be very close to the postures and air would be more stale. This way the body and mind is fresh.

Posted 2007-05-17 12:40 PM (#86474 - in reply to #86432)

Did you read from the thread where Eric made this staatement so there is a context in which to frame it?

I would gladly expound, if.... you clarify your question. Then I will try and elaborate on that clarification. But as it currently stands it would take several lengthy paragraphs and I'm trying to take up less resources on the board.

DJ Dre - 2007-05-16 11:00 AM

purnayoga said: I noticed in one of your other posts, where you refer to yourself as the "rebel", that you teach from your own practice and this is the way you were taught and taught to teach.

I'm curious, what other way(s) are there to teach but from our own experience?
Could you elaborate on that?

Edited by purnayoga 2007-05-17 12:41 PM
Andre
Posted 2007-05-18 10:22 AM (#86621 - in reply to #86329)

Extreme Veteran

Did you read from the thread where Eric made this statement so there is a context in which to frame it?

No, I didn't. Can you/someone post or link or thread title? Thanks. This is an interesting to me. I've considered teaching, but had a set back. Now I wonder if I should mostly practice for myself. But I keep having experiences in my own practice that I imagine sharing in a class. Cool things, little break throughs and successes. Anyway, I'd be glad to read the backstory.

Posted 2007-05-18 2:29 PM (#86654 - in reply to #86621)

I'll try for brevity.
Keep in mind that this is related to your question and NOT to Eric's post. I have not studied with him, trained with him, nor has he trained with me so I cannot speak to his situation. But here is my response to your question Dre.

You are taught to practice.
You are taught to teach.
The curriculums are different, not identical.
All yoga teaching (to students) should be brought into your own body, your own practice first, then it may be authentically taught. Some teachers of "asana" do not have an "asana" practice at all. This is not appropriate.

So in that regard you are correct, you must be the doer in order to be the teacher. Of course there are some male yoga teachers who teach pre-natal and have not been pregnant. And there are some female instructors teaching pre-natal who've never been pregnant. But I think when you are well trained about the body, it's responses, and yoga, it is teaching from integrity.

And that's the main point. Teaching from integrity.

TampaEric
Original Thread

I'll get certified one day. I'm hoping to go to Mysore, India. If I like it, I will go back and seek certification. It takes a number of visits.

If that doesn't happen, I'm considering more training in the states.

I did a 40 hour teacher training with David Swenson, but that is the only real thing I have done officially. I was teaching for 2 years prior. I teach from my own practice as I was taught by my teachers.

DJ Dre - 2007-05-18 7:22 AM
Did you read from the thread where Eric made this statement so there is a context in which to frame it?
No, I didn't. Can you/someone post or link or thread title? Thanks. This is an interesting to me. I've considered teaching, but had a set back. Now I wonder if I should mostly practice for myself. But I keep having experiences in my own practice that I imagine sharing in a class. Cool things, little break throughs and successes. Anyway, I'd be glad to read the backstory.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-05-18 2:34 PM
Andre
Posted 2007-05-22 2:18 PM (#86999 - in reply to #86654)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the response. I just posted over in that thread.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-23 10:21 AM (#87073 - in reply to #86999)

Hey Dre,

The call to teach is different for everyone. Some of us rush up to the plate, others wait until we are pushed, still some others end up teaching to cover for someone else.

I did not train to be a teacher the way it is done now through yoga alliance. I found yoga and began to teach what I knew to whoever would show up. As my practice grew, my teaching grew, as my teaching grew my classes grew. My transition has been very gradual and natural. I started very slowly teaching only what I knew. Somehow between the beginning and present date, yoga did its work and it became very tranformative. (in my own practice and as a teacher) I still learn new things and if they work well, I add them to my studies as a student/teacher. I don't think you ever stop learning. There are some things you learn that you consider an absolute at the time, and then you learn that even "absolutes" aren't always appropriate. As a teacher, you led, you steer for them, you help prevent injuries, you guide them towards their edge, you take them on a journey, but you also stand out of their way and let the yoga do its thing. It's a special gift to share.

Good luck,

Eric
shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-23 2:58 PM (#87107 - in reply to #86329)

Do you memorize these lists! I'm very impressed. I teach with a rough outline of what I want to do, but I never have all the exact asanas in order like that. I also make sure to always to appropriate counterpostures and symmetrical poses after assymmetrical. The first part of the class is usually standing postures, but occasionally consists of other 'heating' type poses. Sometimes I get good sequencing ideas during class, but other times I just do sequences I've taught before.

BTW, what are turbodog and lizard?
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-23 4:57 PM (#87111 - in reply to #87107)

Hey ShalamOM,

Yes, I do try to memorize them. But, if I'm not sure, I just bring it and glance at it if I get confused.

Basically, I try to repeat postures that compliment each other standing/seated/finishing...

Check out Forrest Yoga for Turbodog. Lizard is a bit like cresent lunge, but you are on your forearms.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)