YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yet another question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Andre
Posted 2007-05-22 2:16 PM (#86998 - in reply to #86263)
Subject: RE: yet another question

Extreme Veteran

shalamOM: Even if you are uncomfortable teaching when you start, your knowledge will come through and people will pick up on that.

This is true. I try not to proselytize, and when I am able to not do that, and talk about yoga to people who don't do yoga, I feel like I could teach. The last three years have been pretty intense, as I've explored many aspects of yoga. I find myself thinking of things to say in a class. But, I'm not sure I'm called to teach, it's more like I'm called to witness. Not in Christian sense, but "This is the power of Yoga and what it's done for me." Well, I don't know, maybe it is in a Christian sense. To me it's not about a certain path or belief system, but being open to taking a journey and see where it will lead.

I don't know what to do with it all, really. In some ways I just want to explore yoga further, both for my own personal growth and to teach it to my loved ones. But in other ways, I can see myself leading class. I'm unsure what kind of "training" to pursue.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-22 3:16 PM (#87005 - in reply to #86998)

DJ Dre - 2007-05-22 2:16 PM I don't know what to do with it all, really. In some ways I just want to explore yoga further, both for my own personal growth and to teach it to my loved ones. But in other ways, I can see myself leading class. I'm unsure what kind of "training" to pursue.

This is the point from where I started as well. I suppose now that this is what's meant by "deepening one's practice". My teacher advised me to attend classes at the studio that weren't strictly asana, such as meditation classes, sacred text and philosophy discussion classes, and other various workshops that they would occasionally offer, to see in what direction they'd take me. All the while I never thought I wanted to teach, or at least didn't think I had what it took (whatever that means). I found myself enrolling in her teacher training program pretty much based on this one statement (paraphrasing): "Whether you end up teaching at the end of this nine month training is up to you; either way, you will come out of it equipped with all the skills and tools necessary for being a yoga teacher." Once the pressure was removed from having to set the goal of becoming a teacher, I knew this was what I had to do.

While learning and preparing to become the yoga student, I became a yoga teacher. This, to me, is the only and true way a yoga training should be.

Good luck to you in finding your way as well.

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-05-22 3:26 PM
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-22 4:39 PM (#87013 - in reply to #87005)

OrangeMat - 2007-05-22 12:16 PM
While learning and preparing to become the yoga student, I became a yoga teacher. This, to me, is the only and true way a yoga training should be.

Hi Om,

What we teach, we learn again through our students. Since what we have to offer is finally within each of us, our role as convenor is as important as anything we may do: set the time, prepare the space, live the life.

"The first days are the hardest days, don't you worry any more..." Jerry

Michael
redrox
Posted 2007-05-22 5:38 PM (#87024 - in reply to #86263)

"When life looks like easy street, there is danger at your door..."

Well Hunter wrote the lyrics actually! ;) nothing else to add. carry on...
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-22 7:53 PM (#87031 - in reply to #87024)

'Think this through with me,
let me know your mind,
what I want to know is
Are you kind?'

Hey Red,

Good to know you're out there...

Michael
redrox
Posted 2007-05-22 11:56 PM (#87047 - in reply to #86263)

hehehe.. well used to be more "out there" I guess... ;) Lately seem to be working more on being "in here"!

And yes I try to be (kind)... definately an oldie but moldy from the boys, but always a fave!
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-23 10:46 AM (#87080 - in reply to #87047)

Funny, but I didn't get your name until you return posted... I had been trying to figure out what 're-drox' was suppose to mean. But as soon as you responded, I saw the rocks. I had the pleasure of seeing Robert Hunter perform a couple of years ago and it was if meeting an old friend. Same for you.

Michael
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)