YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for teachers here????
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

mishoga
Posted 2007-05-14 5:57 AM (#86186)
Subject: Question for teachers here????

Expert Yogi

How many of you practice mantras and chanting in class? How often? At what point in class do you bring them in?

Also, what is the avarage amount of classes you teach per week? And your age????

Thanks.

Edited by mishoga 2007-05-14 6:07 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-14 6:04 AM (#86187 - in reply to #86186)
Subject: RE: Question for teachers here????

Apart from the opening chant (Ashtanga, Iyengar or three AUMs depending on class) I wouldn't teach mantra as part of an asana class.

I'm 38

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-14 7:11 AM (#86197 - in reply to #86186)

mishoga - 2007-05-14 5:57 AM

How many of you practice mantras and chanting in class?
===> Yes. Chanting yes in each class regardless of what that class is. Manta ONLY a Chanting Class..

How often?
===> In non Chanting Yoga Exercise class: 5 min at the end. IN a Meditation Class, throughout upto 10 min, in Chanting class throuout upto 90 min.

At what point in class do you bring them in?

===> see above.

Also, what is the avarage amount of classes you teach per week? And your age????

===> 1 a day.

Thanks.

TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-14 8:43 AM (#86203 - in reply to #86186)

Hey Mishoga,

Beginning:
I either do:
Ashtanga Chant
three Oms
Anusara (Shiva Chant)
Eight limbs chant (Yama, Niyama, etc)

At the end
Ashtanga Closing
Three Oms
Anusara (Shiva Chant)
Om Mane Padma Hum
Chakras sounds
Or just: Loka Samasta Sukino Bhavantu or
Om Shanti
Eight limbs chant (Yama, Niyama, etc)

I usually teach 3-4 classes:

I'm 37

Eric

tourist
Posted 2007-05-14 9:52 AM (#86212 - in reply to #86203)
Subject: RE: Question for teachers here

Expert Yogi

Oms and Invocation to Patanjali every class. I also chant the invocation near the end of savasana. I teach 5 classes per week.

Posted 2007-05-14 5:04 PM (#86265 - in reply to #86186)

Oms and the Gayatri from the Rg Veda (Vishwamitra) to open class then Oms and Sri Aurobindos Gayatri to close.

No mudras.

I'm 43

Until the college program ends I'm teaching two classes per week.
souljourney108
Posted 2007-05-14 9:19 PM (#86278 - in reply to #86186)

Hi Mishoga and yogi friends...

I have 2 classes a week with an average of 4 people in the classes (but the numbers don't matter, even if I only ever shared with one person, I'm happy). I live in a small town with lots of yoga teachers ( Byron Bay in Australia). 39 times have traveled around the sun in this body...

The chant I love to do at the start , is:
Om Asathoma Sat gamaya
Tamasoma Jyotir gamaya
Mrityoyma Amritan gamaya
Om shanti, shanti , shanti...

means:
Take me from the unreal to the real
Take me from darkness to the light
Take me from death to immortality
Om Peace, peace, peace.

I like to end class with 3 Oms...

Nice to hear what others do...
Peace to all,
Soul

yogabrian
Posted 2007-05-14 11:32 PM (#86285 - in reply to #86186)

I don't talk about them in my classes, my crowd generally is not into it. If someone asks about I will though.

I teach 20-25 classes a week.

I am 33

Posted 2007-05-15 1:15 AM (#86287 - in reply to #86278)

Newfound respect. Who taught you that mantra?

souljourney108 - 2007-05-14 6:19 PM
The chant I love to do at the start , is:
Om Asathoma Sat gamaya
Tamasoma Jyotir gamaya
Mrityoyma Amritan gamaya
Om shanti, shanti , shanti...

means:
Take me from the unreal to the real
Take me from darkness to the light
Take me from death to immortality
Om Peace, peace, peace.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-15 6:47 AM (#86301 - in reply to #86278)

souljourney108 - 2007-05-14 9:19 PM The chant I love to do at the start , is: Om Asathoma Sat gamaya Tamasoma Jyotir gamaya Mrityoyma Amritan gamaya Om shanti, shanti , shanti... means: Take me from the unreal to the real Take me from darkness to the light Take me from death to immortality Om Peace, peace, peace. I like to end class with 3 Oms... Nice to hear what others do... Peace to all, Soul

This is one of my favorite chants as well. Though I learned the translation of the last line to mean "lead me from the fear of death to the knowledge of immortality". A lot more doable that way in real life, don't you think?

I don't have any classes going yet, but the chant I would teach once the time comes would probably be Purnam Adah:

OM Purnam Adah
Purnam Idam
Purnat Purnam Udacyate
Purnasya Purnam Aadaya
Purnam Evavasisyate
OM Shanti Shanti Shanti

That is full / complete / perfect / infinite.
This is full / complete / perfect / infinite.
Perfection arises from the Perfect,
Taking the Perfect from the Perfect,
It remains as the Perfect alone.
OM, Peace, Peace, Peace.

To me, this means "no worries". We're already complete as we are, can't do anything to mess that up, and don't need to work so hard to be there. Pretty cool, eh?

The few times I have taught, I started class with 3 oms and finished class with one. It would seem incomplete without at least that much.

In sacred text study class we chant Sahana Vavatu, the Togetherness Mantra for Student and Teacher, which I have been asked to lead on occasion:

OM Sahana Vavatu
Sahanau Bhunaktu
Saha Viryam Karavavahai
Tejasvi Navadhitam Astu
Ma Vidvishavahai
OM Shanti Shanti Shanti
Accept us both together
Protect us both together
May our knowledge and strength increase
May we not resent each other
OM Peace, Peace, Peace

In meditation class, we always chant something different, depending on the focus of the class that week, though invariably we chant the Gayatri Mantra and Maha Mrtyunjaya Mantra (Chant for World Peace). I'm sure everyone knows those.

I never knew chanting was something I missed in my life until I started doing it regularly in all the yoga classes I attend. To me it wouldn't be Yoga without it.

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-05-15 7:05 AM
souljourney108
Posted 2007-05-15 8:35 AM (#86304 - in reply to #86301)

Hey IA,
I learned it in 97 in Mysore when I was there doing Astanga, from a friend who was studying with another teacher.

OrangeMat - 2007-05-16 8:47 PM
"lead me from the fear of death to the knowledge of immortality". A lot more doable that way in real life, don't you think?

Yes OM, that makes more sense.That's how I understand the meaning and like to explain it. "Take me from death to immortality" could be mistaken as a desire to keep the body immortal. Mistaking the body for who one is.

Peace,
Soul

TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-15 10:40 AM (#86311 - in reply to #86285)

20-25 classes a week!

I'm speechless..
Kym
Posted 2007-05-15 11:26 PM (#86360 - in reply to #86186)

No. 2 classes per week. I'm 38. Why do you ask and what are your answers?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-15 11:51 PM (#86365 - in reply to #86186)

OM Purnam Adah
Purnam Idam
Purnat Purnam Udacyate
Purnasya Purnam Aadaya
Purnam Evavasisyate
OM Shanti Shanti Shanti

That is full / complete / perfect / infinite.
This is full / complete / perfect / infinite.
Perfection arises from the Perfect,
Taking the Perfect from the Perfect,
It remains as the Perfect alone.
OM, Peace, Peace, Peace.
To me, this means "no worries". We're already complete as we are, can't do anything to mess that up, and don't need to work so hard to be there. Pretty cool, eh?
===> No Dear OM. That does not mean 'pretty cool, and we do not have to work hard'. It means that 'we have to work until we actually realize something'. That something is described here 'one brahman which is everywhere and is totally undivided all the time'. Until one actually realizes that one has to practice.

mrutyormaamrutam gamaya
"lead me from the fear of death to the knowledge of immortality"
===> No Dear OM. It is not 'fear of death' and 'knowledge of immortality'. It is 'from Death to Immortality' as quoted correctly by Soul. Death is for those who are body conscious due to vasanas and therefore caught in the birth-death lifecycles. And, Immortality is for those who are liberated.

===> Dear SoulJ: Chanting of Sahanaavavatu can be found on one page of my site, possibly instructors or Instruction page. Speakers on.
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-16 5:20 AM (#86377 - in reply to #86360)

Expert Yogi

Kym - 2007-05-15 11:26 PM

No. 2 classes per week. I'm 38. Why do you ask and what are your answers?

At the present time I don't chant or use mantras in class. I would like to introduce them and I would use bija mantras.
I find the typical "Ohms" in many classes but it seems like the teachers are bringing them in class because that's what they are supposed to do, not because they have a connection with it. (At least this is what I experienced with a large percentage of classes I've attended, not all but most)

Now I teach 8-11 classes a week. I'm 43 years old.

just interested in what other teachers do.

Posted 2007-05-16 5:23 AM (#86378 - in reply to #86186)

i usually use Om in class, though occassionally i'll take my class through the mantras for the chakras or use Om Shanti. Om shanti is rare, though. the others are more common, and we always Om.

i teach between 15 and 25 classes per week depending upon the time of year. i'm 30.

i'm in new zealand still, finally on vacation, and having a great time. i did get a bit sea sick on the ferry from picton to wellington, but aside from that the views are beautiful. enjoyed a lord of the rings themed tour around wellington today--lots of fun--and tomorrow we do a bit more (te papa museum, go to the film company for ryan to meet a few folks, dinner at a modern maori cuisine restaurant called Kai in the City (kai is maori for 'food' i think), and then we're meeting up with our friend diane and she'll take us on a tour of the north island. we're psyched about that.

so, that's me for now.
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-16 6:00 AM (#86380 - in reply to #86186)

Expert Yogi

One more question????
For those who chant or use more involved mantras, do your students go along with you? How long does it take them to learn them???? How do you teach them?????

Sorry, I'm being a pain but I consider all of you my teachers
Namaste!
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-16 7:01 AM (#86384 - in reply to #86365)

Neel, thank you for your clarifications. Regarding purnam adah, of course we have to work. I am not negating that, advocating a slacker attitude, or anything like that. I guess my point in seeing it as "no worries" is that whatever work we do, there is a reason or point to it all, and that "prize" is oneness with universal consciousness, or brahman, as you said it. Maybe it's just me, but I find that concept extremely reasuring. It's my source of faith, I suppose you could say. Otherwise, why bother working in life at all (in this one and all the others) if there isn't going to be any payoff?

Overly simplified, to me this chant is the opposite of the saying "life's a bunch of chores and then you die". Unfortunately this has been the motto of too many people that I've been associated with in my life. And just because I describe it here in an oversimplified way doesn't mean I'm not considering it in all its complexities. This is the purpose of a mantra, isn't it? A shortened statement of words whose true meaning and depth encompasses pages and pages of writing. So that when you recall those few words in the convenient manner of chanting, you're inundated with the depth of their true meaning.

For me, purnam adah also speaks of belonging to the world, another issue I've been dealing with for most of my life. So yes, there is work to do, and it's my work and it's good, and in doing it I will belong to the vast completeness. No worries!

As for the birth-death discussion, I think we're talking the same thing but using words that mean different things to each other in the process. Your definition is exactly what I understand that chant to mean, though adding the words "fear of" and "knowledge of" helps my western mind grasp it further. Why do we fear death? Because we have no knowledge of immortality. And why is that? Because we ARE caught up in the birth-death lifecycle. Telling someone to just stop fearing something that they cannot understand is too much (I'm not doing a good job here in explaining myself, sorry). OK, how's this: if you tell me to discount death as something to be feared, I have a hard time believing you. But if you tell me my FEAR of death is what I need to let go of, as opposed to my CONCEPT of death itself, then maybe that I can handle first. To let go of what death itself means to me is too huge, so I need the baby step of letting go of the fear part first. Make sense?

So like I said, it's really all the same thing. The words I offered are the ones that I learned from my teacher as the meaning of the chant, as opposed to the literal translation that you offer. We westerners just need to go at our work with smaller steps and chunks, easily digestible for our deluded little minds!

My teacher's teacher told us in a lecture several months ago that as the most important thing, we need to stay on point. How we arrive at that point will differ for each individual, as well as the words that are used in getting to that universal understanding of that point. Probably yet another westernization that may not sit well with you either. Having knowledge of, even just a glimpse, ultimate truth gives one a sense of peace and contentment, yes? Personally, I think the words just get in the way after a while. The point still remains unchanged.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-17 12:47 PM (#86477 - in reply to #86186)

Dear OM: I am sorry if you felt offended. I only gave my Translation and one can do whatever they want with it. To understand this point, you might view my youtube portions.

Peace.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-17 1:15 PM (#86487 - in reply to #86477)

Hi Neel,

Not offended whatsoever! Actually, I do enjoying hearing viewpoints that are opposed to mine. Helps with keeping my mind flexible in many directions.

When two people discuss a topic from opposite viewpoints, the purpose of the discussion (imo) is not for one person to sway the other to their side. It's just to discuss, learn what you will learn from the other, take with you what works for you and leave the rest behind. Accepting that someone else's truth is their truth even though it might be diametrically opposed to your own, that's what I'm talking about here.

At the risk of a corniness overload.... we don't all have to agree to be happy. We just need to be happy.

jonnie
Posted 2007-05-17 3:06 PM (#86505 - in reply to #86278)

souljourney108 - 2007-05-15 5:19 AM

I live in a small town with lots of yoga teachers ( Byron Bay in Australia).

Hi Soul,

I stayed in Byron Bay for a few days a while ago.

What an incredibly cool place

Jonathon
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-17 3:07 PM (#86506 - in reply to #86380)

mishoga - 2007-05-16 2:00 PM

One more question????
For those who chant or use more involved mantras, do your students go along with you? How long does it take them to learn them???? How do you teach them?????

Sorry, I'm being a pain but I consider all of you my teachers
Namaste!

Hi Mish,

I learned the traditional call and response way.

Jonathon
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-17 3:18 PM (#86509 - in reply to #86186)

Expert Yogi

OK, now here's a question for those who don't chant/mantra.
Why?
For me the reason was students not wanting that (or not being ready for that). I have asked them and they outright said they do not want to chant.

Now, is one not teaching yoga if not teaching chanting/mantras? And why?
I don't mind chants/mantras when I'm the student. I rather enjoy it but am somewhat confused with the more complicated chants.

Edited by mishoga 2007-05-17 3:18 PM
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-17 3:33 PM (#86514 - in reply to #86509)

mishoga - 2007-05-18 11:18 PM

I have asked them and they outright said they do not want to chant.

Now, is one not teaching yoga if not teaching chanting/mantras? And why?
I don't mind chants/mantras when I'm the student. I rather enjoy it but am somewhat confused with the more complicated chants.

Don't ask them Mish, tell them

You are doing Yoga if you don't chant, though it certainly adds a different energetic dimension to the practise.

Go and learn from Neel and then introduce them slowly. tell your students that those who want to chant with you can chant and those that don't can listen. That way everyone's happy

Jonathon

yogabrian
Posted 2007-05-17 3:36 PM (#86515 - in reply to #86186)

Chanting is just not my thing.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)