YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Eckhart Tolle
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

jonnie
Posted 2007-05-13 2:52 PM (#86155)
Subject: Eckhart Tolle

Has anyone read the 'Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle?

I was bought a copy a long while ago and had always resisted reading it as I thought it was a bit new agey.

I've just began reading it now and it is actually very good. I think he has been strongly influenced by Vedantic thought.

Jonathon

Top of the page Bottom of the page
souljourney108
Posted 2007-05-13 11:34 PM (#86167 - in reply to #86155)
Subject: RE: Eckhart Tolle

Hi Jonnie,

Yes, I read it a couple of years ago. Actually I had it by my side for most of that time and kept re-reading parts as I was going through alot of pain at the time (creating alot of pain, unconsciously of course). This book helped so much. So he's one of my gurus. I like how he writes about using intimate relationship as part of your practice and holding space when the partner is reacting. Not many gurus speak of this. He communicates in a way that's easy for most to understand at this time on the planet.

Hari Om,
Soul
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-14 12:25 AM (#86169 - in reply to #86155)

Hi Soul,

Yes, I'm only 50 pages into it, though I can't help thinking that this is a person who has really achieved enlightenment.

Jonathon
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-05-14 11:18 AM (#86224 - in reply to #86155)

I had the same resistance initially - it seemed too mainstream to be a "real" spiritual book and anytime "Power" is prominent in a title it gives me the impression it will have a goal that is more about prosperity than peace. But he explains concepts of being present better than just about anyone else I have read. He puts it in terms that more people can relate to, IMO. I can explain what the present moment means, but I have a really hard time explaining why it is so important to understand. The "Now" movement does seem to have gone a little overboard though. There are a lot of companion products and he is getting some pretty serious money touring around. I am not saying I wouldn't do the same thing in his shoes, but it does make it suspect to serious spiritual seekers who generally avoid the slick promotions.
grasshopper
Posted 2007-05-14 2:24 PM (#86246 - in reply to #86169)

jonnie - 2007-05-13 7:25 PM

...Yes, I'm only 50 pages into it, though I can't help thinking that this is a person who has really achieved enlightenment.

Jonathon

Indeed. I'm a little over 100 pages into it and I agree completely. It is taking me long to move though the book. I keep pausing, as he encourages you to do, and each time it takes me a little longer to come back to reading it.

OptiMystic - 2007-05-14 6:18 AM
...But he explains concepts of being present better than just about anyone else I have read. He puts it in terms that more people can relate to, IMO...

Yes, he really does. He gives you tangible and workable ways to experience the interplay between the different facets of your being, as they relate to experiencing your life fully in the present moment. His explanation of the 'pain body' is spot on, although it might be hard to digest at first.

I highly recommend this book.
flyingyoga
Posted 2008-01-25 7:40 PM (#102469 - in reply to #86155)

I am very late to this thread, but in my opinion, The Power of Now is the most relevant book of all time.

For those who may be interested, here is a link to a nice summary of the first few chapters:

http://users.tpg.com.au/wookie99/
BoulderJD
Posted 2008-02-06 4:40 PM (#102964 - in reply to #102469)

flyingyoga - 2008-01-25 7:40 PM

I am very late to this thread, but in my opinion, The Power of Now is the most relevant book of all time.

For those who may be interested, here is a link to a nice summary of the first few chapters:

http://users.tpg.com.au/wookie99/

Thanks for the link, Richard. I just finished "A New Earth" with much enjoyment. I look forward to "Now"...guess I'm reading in reverse. Thanks for the head start! JD
seeker83
Posted 2009-12-17 1:43 PM (#120044 - in reply to #86155)

jonnie - 2007-05-12 3:52 PM

Has anyone read the 'Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle?

I was bought a copy a long while ago and had always resisted reading it as I thought it was a bit new agey.

I've just began reading it now and it is actually very good. I think he has been strongly influenced by Vedantic thought.

Jonathon

It is really new age, but It does make one simple point. Be in the present, live life for today, for right now and actually be there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)