YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

S/I pain and PMS
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Women's HealthMessage format

tourist
Posted 2007-05-10 10:27 AM (#85842)
Subject: S/I pain and PMS

Expert Yogi

Can one of our anatomists or practitioners explain the mechanism of why I would get horrific aching in the s/i (both sides - equal opportunity pain ) sometimes during the premenstrual cycle? Please bear in mind that I am not looking for a cure or ways to alleviate this discomfort. I am just curious about how and why it might happen as well as perhaps some clue about why it seems to occur some times and not others.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-10 4:34 PM (#85891 - in reply to #85842)
Subject: RE: S/I pain and PMS

Hey SisTourist: I saw your post about Sinus problem lately and now this one.

Please give up those Spa Baths, Hot Tub baths or whatever you call them.
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-10 6:19 PM (#85901 - in reply to #85842)

tourist - 2007-05-10 7:27 AM

Can one of our anatomists or practitioners explain the mechanism of why I would get horrific aching in the s/i (both sides - equal opportunity pain ) sometimes during the premenstrual cycle? Please bear in mind that I am not looking for a cure or ways to alleviate this discomfort. I am just curious about how and why it might happen as well as perhaps some clue about why it seems to occur some times and not others.

Hi Glenda,

Muscular is typically more relaxed during premenstral cycle, for some reason. I don't know why, but during such, muscles are softer and bones adjust much easier. I really don't know the physiology behind it... hormonal, I'd guess. maybe Nick will know.
tourist
Posted 2007-05-10 7:28 PM (#85906 - in reply to #85901)

Expert Yogi

I'll never give up the hot tub, Neel! Even if I cook into a tourist stew

dmbones. I have thought about your explanation. I mean, hormones obviously. My s/i is very (maybe overly) flexible and I have always been able to adjust it myself, even as a kid. So it doesn't get stuck or jammed. I just feels like it is stiff or the connective tissue is somehow swollen due to the hormonal changes or something. Heat relieves it a lot (hot tub!!! ) and I don't always get it at all. Since I am over 50, the issue will be a non-issue in a while, of course....
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-10 8:10 PM (#85907 - in reply to #85906)

tourist - 2007-05-10 4:28 PM

dmbones. I have thought about your explanation. I mean, hormones obviously. My s/i is very (maybe overly) flexible and I have always been able to adjust it myself, even as a kid. So it doesn't get stuck or jammed. I just feels like it is stiff or the connective tissue is somehow swollen due to the hormonal changes or something. Heat relieves it a lot (hot tub!!! ) and I don't always get it at all. Since I am over 50, the issue will be a non-issue in a while, of course....

Hi Glenda,

A quick review reveals that the hormone relaxin is probably responsible. It is what I thought of first, but wasn't sure, thinking that it was most pronounced late in preggers as it softens the public ligaments allowing for a more open birth canal. But, interestingly, the relaxin levels are highest at the outset of pregnancy and diminshes during the term (according to the lit). In addition to loosening pubic ligs, it also contribute angiogenesis (promotes the formation of new blood cells, which vascularizes the placenta early on for fetal nutrition). That would explain it's presence early in the process, even during the final days before menstruation as the body prepares for implantation. I think relaxin is probably responsible for your loose SIs during this time.

Michael
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-10 8:21 PM (#85908 - in reply to #85906)

tourist - 2007-05-10 7:28 PM

Then I shall call you Hot Tub Yogini with Iyengar Certification. You shall get clients from both sides.
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-11 1:59 AM (#85932 - in reply to #85842)

I would have thought it was obvious. Not enough standing postures

Nick
Posted 2007-05-11 4:07 AM (#85951 - in reply to #85932)

Hi Glenda,
That's right, hormones can play a part in SI pain associated with the menstrual cycle. They have even found receptors for oestrogen in the ACL in the knee, so that women may be more prone to knee damage at certain stages of their cycle. I would imagine a similiar process in the SI joint.
Another big factor, and I feel that this is far more common, is that it is referred pain-the neural stimulation in the reproductive organs creates neural stimulation of another part of the body whose innervation comes from the same level of the spinal cord-in this case, nerves emanating from the sacral region. There's a bundle of nerves called the sacral centre, which is like a plexus that supplies the various structures in the sacral area. So when there is heightened neural activity in one structure, the effects may be felt in another.

Take care
Nick
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-11 7:20 AM (#85955 - in reply to #85842)

This quote comes from ‘the Women’s book of Yoga and health’, by Linda Sparrowe and Patricia Walden (page 175):

“Back pain can be Caused by hormones. Some women suffer from lower back pain as part of PMS. Although no one is sure, most doctors think that this kind of pain is somehow related to prostaglandin F2a, a hormone released shortly after you ovulate.

According to Judith lasater, the ligaments that hold the sacrum and ileum bones of your pelvis together get over stretched and unstable during this time and become susceptible to pain and injury”.

Jonathon
tourist
Posted 2007-05-12 1:16 AM (#86040 - in reply to #85955)

Expert Yogi

Thanks all - I have the Sparrowe/Walden book sitting right in front of me I guess I could have taken a peek at that, eh? I think there is a lot of this stuff that is not completely understood yet. Seems like there are a lot of sort of educated guesses but nobody with anything really definitive. I agree that relaxin could play a part, though I am not really sure how prevalent it is in menstruation as compared to pregnancy. And it does seem that the s/i is a bit more unstable than it usually is, though frankly, I think there is more going on because typically it can crunch away regularly and loudly (in navasana, often someone one or two mats away can hear it!) with no discomfort. At PMS time, there is intense discomfort, even when it is not moving. Chemically, I think research will eventually show that while there are general ways things work in a woman's body, the specifics are a lot more individual than we currently know. There are so many variables!

For anyone else who has followed this discussion, my #1 favourite pose to relieve this is viparita karani on a bolster (at the wall) with legs in upavista konasana and a belt on the feet. The belt holds the feet so you don't overstretch the inner thighs and the bolster support on the low back is amazing. Cramping is also relieved as the abdomen rests back. Only to be done in the premense phase, of course. No upside down once you start the main event. I recently heard a recording of a class Geeta gave in Pune. She was instructing those women who were menstruating to switch away from the general class as she was about to do twists and inversions. She said "ladies in period, it is over for you!"
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-12 7:52 AM (#86053 - in reply to #85955)

jonnie - 2007-05-11 7:20 AM According to Judith lasater, the ligaments that hold the sacrum and ileum bones of your pelvis together get over stretched and unstable during this time and become susceptible to pain and injury”. Jonathon

Funny that I find this quote here this morning, after my workshop with Judith this past week. Yes, she said those same exact words just yesterday afternoon to us all. And believe me, I'm the poster child for having rubbery ligaments at that exact joint area, as well as my shoulders, hips, wrists and ankles, for pretty much the last 15 years or so -- the same amount of time it's been since first starting to have my children.

I was about to ask Judith right then, if you've already done the damage, what can you do to reverse it, but unfortunately I already knew the answer: nothing. Continue to prevent it from worsening and take care at those loose joints, but to tighten things up, there isn't anything. She was advising the overly limber teachers there that were in their 20s to start taking care now, which is the proper thing. Primarily, limit that huge range of motion. Practice poses halfway. She even had one girl (20-something yoga teacher) come up in urdhva dhanurasana with a 10-lb sandbag on her belly, so that the muscles would engage more. The girl said that for once she was sweating in the pose, which normally is effortless for her. Judith said that was a good thing.

I guess from my point of view, finally knowing the "why" to my current issues is better than never knowing at all.

OK, I didn't mean to wander away from this thread too much, since I do have a related question: every so often, I get tremendous achiness (as opposed to pain) in my hip joints, like I'd want a really tight belt cinching me in at the hips to keep things from "falling apart", ya know? I'm not sure, but at least for this month, the pain does coincide with my approaching cycle, but it doesn't happen all the time, maybe once every few months. All I wanted to do was lay down and elevate my legs, the pain was so intense in my hips. It was a toothache quality pain, if that helps, like it deep in the bones. Is this related to the SI pain discussed in this thread? Could it be a perimenopausal thing, since it's only been happening the past couple of years or so? I officially crossed the line to approaching 50 as opposed to just being in my early 40s the week before last. Just wondering.

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-05-12 8:00 AM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-12 8:08 AM (#86054 - in reply to #86040)

OK, just added the Linda Sparrowe book to my list of books I need to own. Tourist, do you have Judith Lasater's Relax & Renew? I would assume that you do. That's the workshop that I attended this week, her initial training in restorative.

Yes, viparita karani was what I was craving last night when I could barely walk up the stairs to my bedroom to lay down, hips feeling as if they were falling off of me. I ended up just laying my shins on an overstuffed bolster I have up there, 10" round. Sometimes you're just too tired and worn out to do all the proper propping (now that's a phrase!). I know, you shouldn't let yourself get that worn out in the first place, but life does get in the way of living one's intention, so often.

Nick
Posted 2007-05-12 8:21 AM (#86055 - in reply to #86053)

"Continue to prevent it from worsening and take care at those loose joints, but to tighten things up, there isn't anything"
Hi Om,
I wouldn't say that is true-go to Diane Lee's website (Glenda already knows about her). She has plenty of stuff on how to rehabilitate these joints. Especially for women who have SI pain as a result of pregnancy.
Is your hip pain related-possibly-at diane's site, you will see someting called a trochanteric belt-it stabilizes the SI joint by pressing together the greater trochanters on the femurs-so their definitely related I guess the thing to do with yoga is to use the bandha as an in-built trochanteric belt-if you can ever feel SI pain as a result of practicing yoga, it is usually a result of allowing the postures to de-stabilize the joints. So when you do a forward bend, back bend, or twist, ask your self whether the greater trochanters are moving apart, or together-try and get them to move towards the sacrum, not away from it.
Hope this helps, I know SI pain is a very difficult one to deal with.

Nick

Edited by Nick 2007-05-12 8:31 AM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-12 8:46 AM (#86057 - in reply to #86055)

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info. Is there a specific website I should look at for her? I googled and only found information on her personal training and massage rates, no real anatomy or yoga information.

The pain I'm feeling (yes it's come back again this morning) arises not out of yoga practice, as I might have mentioned I practiced virtually no active asana all week, only restorative and did some walking. Yesterday in the workshop we did a supported twist and against my better judgment, I attempted it, knowing full well my SI wouldn't like it. I was right, but didn't want to be left out of the group for not trying (isn't the ego such an awful thing for your body sometimes?).

Then we were taught a supported uphavista konasana, which just made things worse for me. I actually tried to tie a yoga strap tightly across my hips (as this trochanteric belt that you suggest), but it didn't hold me in quite right. With my hands at my hips right now, fingers front and thumbs back, I'd want more pressure across the back part of my body, to bring the thumbs closer together. The strap only provided a uniform tightening in, as opposed to a squeezing together more in the direction of my sacrum (hope that made sense).

EDIT: Never mind, it was the wrong Diane Lee! Found the compressor belt you're talking about, will look into it, thanks.

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-05-12 8:49 AM
Nick
Posted 2007-05-12 9:03 AM (#86058 - in reply to #86057)

http://dianelee.ca/published/downloadLectures.html
http://www.dianelee.ca/
Hi Om,
I think you might have had the wrong Diane
She's also speaking at the world congress on back pain this november-if I can afford it, I'll go-

http://www.worldcongresslbp.com/
There's a few giants of anatomy there-it would be an experience.

Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-05-12 9:13 AM (#86059 - in reply to #86058)

Hi Om,
In my experience of SI pain patients who do yoga, they often give up trying to protect the joint, because the methods of protection do not work-there's lots of differnet yoga postures which can de-stabilize the joint in all manner of directions-I think what you need to do is to get a cure which fixes the problem whatever action you are trying to make. the answer is to get more muscle tone in the core muscles. Obviously, contracting the core muscles is pointless unless you get it right, and with good posture. any chance of a picture of you doing the plank pose (that pse we were discussing in another thread), and also of you doing postures which hurt you. If you like, you can send them to me directly, and any info I give you will be confidential.

Nick
tourist
Posted 2007-05-12 10:18 AM (#86065 - in reply to #86059)

Expert Yogi

OM - I have actually seen several women over the years use a belt around the hips for similar issues. They just put it on at the start of class and leave it on for almost everything. Most seem to have given it up over a period of time, which I take to be a good sign. And yes, if you are officially moving toward 50 now, be prepared for the roller coaster! Each time I have something new happen, my spouse is surprised, even though I told him it is time now to be ready for ANYTHING! It can be a bit frustrating, but so far nothing too horrible. Raging against it, as I have seen some of my friends do, seems counter productive and a waste of energy to me.

As for loose joints, I do think it is improper practice that is part of the problem, and if you have that tendency to start with, it is hard to correct. I also think many teachers of all styles have missed the boat somewhat on teaching how to prevent this. OTOH, what I am getting from my own teachers over the past 5 years, at least, is a stronger emphasis on keeping the head of the thigh bone in the hip socket etc. I think I mentioned Manous Manos giving us a very challenging version of ardha chandrasana to help keep the hip joints healthy. And my own teacher has been working with us quite a lot on the entry into the parivrtta standing poses, which seems to be correcting my own tendency to let my s/i shift rather than using the legs correctly in those poses.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-12 7:39 PM (#86089 - in reply to #86059)

Nick - 2007-05-12 9:13 AM and also of you doing postures which hurt you.

I'm sorry, but this just made me laugh so much! You want me to not only do poses that hurt me, but also to photograph myself in the process? How much of a sadist are you? too funny

Just so that both you and tourist know, I've haven't been practicing improperly for years and only now noticed pain in my SI joint, as it seems you both seem to be inferring. My practice is relatively young, and for the most part with proper instruction, just that my body has been moving in regular life in this loose and uncontrolled way (boy does that sound bad!), and now that i've begun to practice yoga, I notice I have difficultly with certain movements and positions. So please don't blame improper yoga instruction, since there has been none (yoga, that is).

I think the first order of action would be to follow up with a complete CT scan of my SI, as per the recommendation of my physical therapist, upon having viewed my X-rays last week. Haven't booked that appointment yet since life's been quite busy lately (funny how life does that to you when you have the least time for it to get busy like that).

Nick, I do agree with you that I need to find a cure for this condition of mine rather than bandaids to deal with the symptoms, for sure. Though I've found that it's not so much my core that needs work but my legs, believe it or not. If anything, I tend to over use my core and underuse my legs. because they're naturally so big and strong on their own, so I've tended to neglect their part in stabilizing my entire pelvic area. I know it's not your normal approach to deal with situations that are similar to mine, but for some reason, I believe it's the legs that are my weak link, not my core. For one thing, I know that when I engage my core, no matter how hard, the creaking in my sacrum and low back happens, no matter what. You know that exercise in the captain's chair, where your arms are on the armrests and you lift your legs with knees bent? I've never been able to do that without my low back creaking, even years before starting yoga. And the second thing is that after a full practice of standing poses, where the legs really have been fully engaged, I can transition into trikonasana or parsvakonasana (two of my worst offenders) without dumping into my hip joints, because my legs are fully alive for a change.

So I guess the question is why don't I practice like that all the time. I don't know. Probably because my asana practice is still so young that I can't reliably find how to use my legs as much as I do in those certain times. My hamstrings and glutes are so strong that I never need to use my quads and inner thighs, which I do believe are my weak link. As Judith Lasater confirmed for me by stating this week, injuries happen not because we aren't strong enough in certain areas, but because we're too strong in other areas. It's the imbalance of strength (as well as flexibility) that creates the arena for injury.

Nick
Posted 2007-05-13 2:35 AM (#86123 - in reply to #86089)

"I'm sorry, but this just made me laugh so much! You want me to not only do poses that hurt me, but also to photograph myself in the process? How much of a sadist are you?"
Oh, I'm reasonably sadistic:-). But I did mean without pain:-)

"upon having viewed my X-rays last week." Any chance of a peep? (x-ray viewing sadist:-)-I want a look inside and out:-)Sorry, that's too pervy even for me:-))

" Though I've found that it's not so much my core that needs work but my legs, believe it or not. If anything, I tend to over use my core and underuse my legs" Well, you'll be glad to know that people like Mel Siff (sadly passed away) and McGill both laugh at the idea of core stability-ubless you are in the air, space, or water, the stability of your limbs is absolutely vital-and it may be that teaching core stability is actually counter-productive-this is why I teach core activation as part of functional training, rather than specifically for the core muscles.
Actually, this idea of using standing poses to work the core is familiar to me-as far as I'm concerned, the sitting poses are low-grade compared with the benefits of a good sun salutation practice and standing poses. One's entire practice could be these-and I would imagine that if tests for fitness and health were done on people who only did standing poses and sun salutes, they may well come out higher than people who did sitting poses-maybe, just playing devil's advocate.
If you don't mind I'll have a think about you-there's something obvious going on that's staring us in the face, and I can't quite see it-I'll get back to you-wish I could jump on a magic carpet (business, not economy )
Take care
Nick
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-13 7:37 AM (#86124 - in reply to #86123)

Nick - 2007-05-13 2:35 AM Well, you'll be glad to know that people like Mel Siff (sadly passed away) and McGill both laugh at the idea of core stability-ubless you are in the air, space, or water, the stability of your limbs is absolutely vital-and it may be that teaching core stability is actually counter-productive-this is why I teach core activation as part of functional training, rather than specifically for the core muscles. Actually, this idea of using standing poses to work the core is familiar to me-

I think we may have found the missing piece. For over 2 years, before even starting to practice yoga, I was teaching a fitness class several times a week that employed the use of core stability as its focus, based on a workshop I had attended at a fitness conference several years prior. It was mostly a standing strength class using the BodyBar (9-lb uniformly weighted exercise bar, in case you're not familiar with it). There would be single limb movements in all planes that were designed to challenge core strength and symmetry. I'm thinking perhaps I challenged myself a bit too much. Nowhere in the instructions of the workshop (nor in the DVD that I had purchased of the routine) was there emphasis to engage the legs while doing the exercises, only the torso and the immediate joints (shoulders and pelvis). Having always had the tendency to be strong without having to work so hard at it, as well as the awareness to isolate individual muscles, definitely created the arena for me to overstrengthen my torso and underemphasize my limbs.

I was also running pretty regularly during that time, which I now see is what prevented me from really getting unbalanced, though I do remember things starting to get uncomfortable then. Then the class got cancelled and I discovered yoga, so I had a blissful summer rebalancing my body strengthwise, though unaware of it. The following winter another teaching job fell into my lap, so I started up my bar class again. Though only once a week, I was finding the twisting movements starting to really give me pain. My running began to taper off as I started taking more yoga classes, and never aware that I would need to work more intensely in the standing poses than the "average" new student. Along with my natural hypermobility, I had no clue that I had developed an SI condition. I started seeing the chiropractor, who told me I needed to work my core more (?!) and maybe even incorporate some lunge work in my exercise routine. Hello? I can lunge all day long and not feel a thing in my legs. Only running would ever make that happen, and I was barely doing that anymore. Downward spiral, for sure.

This leads to the present time. My fitness class format had been changed a year later, no more bar class, but by that point it was too late to ignore that I had pain. I've never linked together how the principles of engaging the core just in space have led to a de-emphasis of my legs in the exercises. Now that I know about yoga, it's become clear to me. "Hugging the muscle to the bone" has always been a concept that if I were told to do so, I could do it, but intuitively I didn't know about it, and no one else had ever instructed it (remember, this is from my pre-yoga, fitness-only days) so I never knew it was necessary. Probably if I were weaker in my core, I wouldn't have gotten injured as much, isn't that just so stupid? My six-pack abs messed up my SI, how crazy is that?

I'll work on getting you those x-rays, Nick. Best way is to photograph them with a regular digital camera, then send the pics, right? Hopefully this week, but no promises.

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-05-13 7:38 AM
Nick
Posted 2007-05-13 8:31 AM (#86125 - in reply to #86124)

Hi Om,
I'm not familiar with the body bar-but stuff like that can be very useful, no doubt about it-but then, anything that's incredibly useful can be incredibly useless But I would have thought if you used it properly, you could probably have a fine fitness system.
I'm working with someone at the moment with dreadful SI pain for twenty years-she is a tough nut to crack-every posture, every movement, you have to be ready to stop her hyper-extending her knees, elbows, and lumbar spine (elbow and knee forces can be used to educate the SI patient on how to position their whole body to achieve pain-free status). It's partly habitual, but also because she can stretch more if she allows freedom of movement in these areas. Short of whipping her every time she makes a mistake, I don't think you can stop her-I've been at it for six months, and she still can't figure out tadasana. You often get this with the hypermobile students-they are the hardest to teach proper kinaesthetic awareness to.
I'm guessing that even though your core is strong, there isn't a strong connection across the SI joint-this is maybe why I was always a bit mystified when in previous threads you would say that you had a strong core, but that your SI joints were painful-to me, a strong core would mean that the SI, lumbar, and hips were all fully functional and pain-free. Now it's clear
I would imagine all that core work you did actually managed to weaken the connection across the SI joints, with each movement actually levering the joint spaces open, when they should have been closing. This would explain the pain.
The answer is to learn how to perofrm a movement called counter-nutation-this is a rotation of the sacrum against the pelvis so that the joint locks up, and is therefore stable-it's a fair bet that all the postures which hurt most are those where your sacrum nutates instead. Best you look up these terms and get some fine pictures then try and replace nutation with counter-nutation. In forward bends, this means greater hip flexion and a straighter spine, and in backbends, this means greater hip extension, allowing better force vectors across and through the spine itself-and SI joints

Take care
Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-05-13 8:49 AM (#86126 - in reply to #86125)

Hi Om,
Just to try to clear this up a bit, I think that sometimes the aims of core stability training are thwarted by th use of muscular actions to achieve the aims-to this extent, various disciplines such as pilates, yoga, and others, have taught the contraction of the pelvic floor muscles and tranversus abdominus. The trouble is, deliberately contracting these muscles can actually lead to a more unstable SI joint-you can inhibit other core muscles which may have served to protect the SI joints and lumbar spine. The best thing to do is to teach good movement and good posture, so that the correct muscles are activated through kinaesthetic awareness. Otherwise, you get strong muscle contraction with little or no awareness. Sounds like this might have happened in your case?
There are actually twenty nine muscles which attach directly to the lumbo-pelvic-hip complex, and any one of these is a core muscle, in that it affects the position and movement of any of the joints. These muscles are:
Rectus abdominus
Transversus abdominus
external obliques
Internal obliques
Psoas minor
psoas major
Ilacus
Multifidus
Rotatores
Quadratus lumborum
Multifidus
Erector spinae
Intertranvsersarii
Diaphragm
Latissimus dorsi
Gluteus maximus
The hamstrings (three muscles)
glteus medius
Gluteus minimus
Tensor fascia lata
Obturator internus and externus
Quadratus femoris
Piriformis
Adductor magnus, longus and brevis
Gracilis
Pectineus
Rectus femoris
Sartorius
Gemellus superior, inferior

Well, there's supposed to be twenty nine, but I appear to have added few more for good measure i thought it might be useful for you to see that for core training to be truly effective and safe, each of these muscles must be functional-and training the contraction of one muscle does not achieve this.

Nick

Edited by Nick 2007-05-13 9:10 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-05-13 11:04 AM (#86133 - in reply to #86126)

Expert Yogi

I remember a few years ago at the pinnacle of core strength mania, my teacher saying "what do you think holds your core?" If your legs and arms aren't strong, a strong core body isn't much help. It would be like building a nice wooden table top and putting it on rubber legs I have a student with the opposite problem. She has long, strong legs and uses them very effectively for lifting in her work. Sit her in dandasana and she simply cannot lift, in spite of good flexibility.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-13 11:43 AM (#86137 - in reply to #86133)

I don't think I intentionally set out to only teach a strong core with no regard for the legs. But what I found as I was teaching my classes was that the general population never found their torso muscles with these exercises, and only complained that their legs were sore from the movements. In fitness, I believe it's very easy to cheat and use the muscles you're more acquainted with using, and to the beginner the outside shape tends to look the same. Things such as shifting your center of balance as you stand in a lunge, for example (this sort of lunge, as opposed to a straight back leg yoga lunge; and obviously without the rotation aspect and being on the BOSU, though this picture accurately shows the types of movements I'd teach).

So I must've developed the habit of overcompensating with my core as a demonstration of taking the legs out of the picture, so to speak. My legs must've gotten lazy at some point in the process, since they were strong enough not to need to use them (that doesn't make sense when I write it, but hopefully you understand what I mean).

Moral of the story is obviously balance. Also, the knowledge I've gained from learning asana now makes me totally understand how to teach things in a more balanced manner. There's no way you can practice Warrior I without using the core and the legs being in proper proportion. You can't cheat there.

So what does this mean? That you need to study yoga in order to be fully fluent in teaching core strengthening and functional training? Interesting that I'm coming to that conclusion. Again, too bad no one else told me that sooner.

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-05-13 11:45 AM
Nick
Posted 2007-05-13 1:49 PM (#86149 - in reply to #86137)

Hi Om,
"So what does this mean? That you need to study yoga in order to be fully fluent in teaching core strengthening and functional training? Interesting that I'm coming to that conclusion. Again, too bad no one else told me that sooner."

Heehee, it's amazing how many personal trainers come to my classes and realize that their core training doesn't cut the mustard This is people that can jump onto a swiss ball and stand up.

Nick
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)