YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

class size again
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-09 10:19 AM (#85688)
Subject: class size again

Well, I really met my match last night.

Must of been 35 students last night. There was no room; there were just mats and bodies. I was trying a new sequence and I was hoping to do some of the sequence with them to keep me in check, but nope, no room for the teacher. I literally had to hop over mats to see my students. It was too much.

It was overwhelming. I think I did a good job. I had 4 new students that got the most attention, but one woman, (about 45-50 years old) just gave up halfway through the standing sequence. She ended up in the back of the room sitting on the floor behind her mat. Bless her; she joined us for the seated postures. I think her blood pressure was running a little too high.

I like the energy of a big class, but I think 35 is too much for me. (especially doing a new sequence).

Anyway, I was humbled by the experience. I let a little ego get to me too.
It's a bit of a rush to know that most of these student came to practice with me. And, it is not easy to get downtown at 5:00 here... So, can I enjoy it for a day or two?

I think the part that excites me is that I could give up my day job and do this full-time.

Kinda happy,

Eric
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-09 10:22 AM (#85689 - in reply to #85688)
Subject: RE: class size again

Expert Yogi

Embrace it
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-09 10:50 AM (#85695 - in reply to #85689)

Thanks, I needed to hear that.

Eric

Posted 2007-05-09 2:25 PM (#85729 - in reply to #85688)

What's the question?

Edited by purnayoga 2007-05-09 2:26 PM
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-09 2:35 PM (#85731 - in reply to #85688)

Wow, that's a big class.

In my studio we allow a maximum of 10 students per class.

Jonathon
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-09 3:28 PM (#85740 - in reply to #85729)

The question was: can I enjoy that I have a following?

Are you in a bad mood?

Eric
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-09 3:32 PM (#85741 - in reply to #85731)

It was really big for me. Usually I have 20-25.

It was a big deal for me and I'm trying to process it.

10! That's a mininum to keep our classes going. You must not have a lot of overhead? We have showers, two studios and electric bills. I think we have a lot of electric bills because of the Bikram yoga! The teachers aren't making more money though. Which is something I'm thinking about lately.

I was offerred to teach at a new studio 50/50 spilt. I'm starting to think it is not in my best interest to continue teaching at a set rate.

Eric
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-09 11:00 PM (#85768 - in reply to #85688)

TampaEric - 2007-05-09 10:19 AM

Well, I really met my match last night.

Must of been 35 students last night. There was no room; there were just mats and bodies. I was trying a new sequence and I was hoping to do some of the sequence with them to keep me in check, but nope, no room for the teacher. I literally had to hop over mats to see my students. It was too much.

It was overwhelming. I think I did a good job. I had 4 new students that got the most attention, but one woman, (about 45-50 years old) just gave up halfway through the standing sequence. She ended up in the back of the room sitting on the floor behind her mat. Bless her; she joined us for the seated postures. I think her blood pressure was running a little too high.

I like the energy of a big class, but I think 35 is too much for me. (especially doing a new sequence).

Anyway, I was humbled by the experience. I let a little ego get to me too.
It's a bit of a rush to know that most of these student came to practice with me. And, it is not easy to get downtown at 5:00 here... So, can I enjoy it for a day or two?

I think the part that excites me is that I could give up my day job and do this full-time.

Kinda happy,

Eric

Fantastic. Soon, you shall get used to 35. Two years ago, I was called to teach at one school in India. And, the entire school including all teachers came to the class. 700 total. The room was big enough to hold 300. The class meant for lunch time, lasted for 4 hours. The school was closed after that. And, 300 participated, 150 girls and 150 boys. Rest of them sat in a corner, almost completely silent. I have a video of this. Let me see whether I can put it on the youtube.

Posted 2007-05-10 12:43 AM (#85777 - in reply to #85740)

bad mood? No. My rare bad moods are not spent on the internet. It's inappropriate to leak energy in that way so I don't do it.

You were asking about something I consider thin ice.
And so I wanted to clarify what you were asking. While there was a sentence at the end of your post that was marked by a question mark I wanted to be sure that is what you were asking. Of course you're asking after already doing, right? I mean you're already basking so it dilutes any response other than one reaffirming.

I can't give you your answer. Only mine.
To me, yoga is about the students. Are you serving the students? Are they being moved toward their svadharma? Is there more of said moving when your class has 50 then when it has 20? What is to celebrate in a following other than power? There may be something but I think that's the friction question to be contemplated. What is it about a following that I am attached or attracted to? The answer to that will reveal the answer to your question of whether you can or cannot.

Once you've determined what it is you get out of it and share that with yourself honestly, then you can apply the intention you have for your practice and your teaching of yoga to it.

It is wonderful to be sharing something and have students come to receive the sharing. When the teacher feels this feeling with one student, just as they do with 100 then there is a sense of balance within the teacher. When the feeling is tied to the number of attendees and the self-worth comes from that number or is empowered by that number it becomes avidya, asmita, raga, dvesha.

It is not about us. It is not about us. It is not about us.
It is about the students. How many come to class is irrelevant. I would rather have four focused commited students who come to class regularly to work then to have 50 that come for a sweat instead of doing the stairmaster becasue "yoga" is popular.

But....but your question is "can you enjoy your following" and the answer to that is "sure" as long as the answer is given outside the yogic context. How many students did Krishnamacharya have?

TampaEric - 2007-05-09 12:28 PM

The question was: can I enjoy that I have a following?

Are you in a bad mood?

Eric

Edited by purnayoga 2007-05-10 12:45 AM
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-10 10:48 AM (#85847 - in reply to #85777)

Like any good reply, you have forced me to answer more questions, than I have asked.

I thank you.
Are they being moved toward their svadharma?
I don't know what Svadharma is...Is it after Samadhi? I'm somewhat familar with Dharma...

I try to teach from an authentic place, so I don't attempt to teach much beyond the first four limbs of yoga.

Is there more of said moving when your class has 50 then when it has 20?
I don't know what you mean? typo?

What is to celebrate in a following other than power?
Well, I couple of students said they really enjoyed the energy of a packed room. The celebration is based on being a part of a community and sharing this together. It's kinda special.

What is it about a following that I am attached or attracted to?
I'm definitely proud and humbled by it. I know that is a paradox, but that's how I feel. Proud because I have invested a lot of time. Humbled because it is like a dream coming true.

I guess the biggest question now that my teaching numbers have grown, can I take the biggest leap of my professional career and dedicate my life to teaching yoga. This would give me more time to be able to answer "Are they being movied to Svadharma"

Sincerely,

Eric

Posted 2007-05-10 1:53 PM (#85864 - in reply to #85847)

TampaEric - 2007-05-10 7:48 AM
Like any good reply, you have forced me to answer more questions, than I have asked.

I thank you.

We help each other grow.

Are they being moved toward their svadharma?
I don't know what Svadharma is...Is it after Samadhi? I'm somewhat familar with Dharma...

This is the personal dharma in the yogic context. It is the reason the soul has come into this body. What are you here to do. How do you point students toward their purpose? This, to me, is THE question that must remain in the forebrain. In this respect it is not "after" Samadhi. In fact Samadhi as the final state is an antiquated yoga. It is only when we are able to bring the evolved consciousness into matter, into the physical, that we can begin to change the planet.

I try to teach from an authentic place, so I don't attempt to teach much beyond the first four limbs of yoga.

That's good. If you're teaching Four Limbs you are teaching more than most.

Is there more of said moving when your class has 50 then when it has 20?
I don't know what you mean? typo?

Not a typo at all. I'm asking if you are, as a teacher, able to more effectively move 50 people in class toward their purpose than you are able to move 12? In what way(s) are we more effective directing students toward their purpose in life during class?

What is to celebrate in a following other than power?
Well, I couple of students said they really enjoyed the energy of a packed room. The celebration is based on being a part of a community and sharing this together. It's kinda special.

When a student comes to the teacher and says such a thing simply smile and nod and say "good" and move along. It's a trap. A draw into something that's not relevant to the yogic process. There's nothing inherently wrong with sangha or community. But this thing you mention easily draws us into state of rising Ego. I am popular. Many people come to study with me. I do yoga. these are all statements of self importance and as such merely obstacles to a yoga path. We all have them, yes, but they are obstacles. There is no yoga possivble without the effort to navigate the Kleshas, Yamas, and Niyamas - in THAT order.

What is it about a following that I am attached or attracted to?
I'm definitely proud and humbled by it. I know that is a paradox, but that's how I feel. Proud because I have invested a lot of time. Humbled because it is like a dream coming true.

I think your answer here is only an outer level answer. There is more Onion to peel here. I would ask you again, what dream? Again, we train to share; with one or one hundred. Iyengar, Devi, Jois, Desikachar, these were the four students of Krishnamacharya. Is he any less a teacher for only teaching four?

I guess the biggest question now that my teaching numbers have grown, can I take the biggest leap of my professional career and dedicate my life to teaching yoga. This would give me more time to be able to answer "Are they being movied to Svadharma"

Not needed. The question can be answered teaching one class per week with two students. However, is this is not your mission then that is an entirely difffernt story. All of this would then be moot.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-05-10 1:54 PM
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-10 3:11 PM (#85876 - in reply to #85864)

Purna,

I can only try to reply to what I think I understand.

"This is the personal dharma in the yogic context. It is the reason the soul has come into this body. What are you here to do. How do you point students toward their purpose? This, to me, is THE question that must remain in the forebrain. In this respect it is not "after" Samadhi. In fact Samadhi as the final state is an antiquated yoga. It is only when we are able to bring the evolved consciousness into matter, into the physical, that we can begin to change the planet."

These kinds of statement take me back to Art History, Gaughuin, last work..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Do_We_Come_From%3F_What_Are_We%3F_Where_Are_We_Going%3F

Sometimes I feel that I was given a gift to teach and practice and that it is "divine." Not nature, not nuture. And that gift isn't something you hide or keep secret. Rather it is a gift that must be shared to be appreciated. I teach them the things that have made my life more rewarding and more focused. I share it. When I first read the yamas and niyamas, I thought, or course. This was written for me. My basic nature is to do or not do these things. It was there (unrefined), before the concept of yama or niyamas was introduced to me. When I first learned asanas, the postures seemed familiar. My body remembered them quickly. There's is a struggle for me to complete the Primary series. I do my practice and look at the other factors that inhibit me from completing primary series. Some of them, I believe could be found in the yamas and niyamas.

When I learned pranayama, I did not struggle, my lungs were made to do this, my mind invites this in. Pratyahara can be experienced in padmasana in the finishing sequence of Ashtanga Yoga. After years of practice, I'm starting to not feel the senses, I do not feel much, hear much, etc. This lack of sensation carries into Tolasana somedays.

"able to more effectively move 50 people in class toward their purpose than you are able to move 12? In what way(s) "

Well, not yet... i am not able to do that yet. I was a little overwhelmed by the attention. It was less intimate, not much eye contact. But it was almost as though the Kosha bodies overlapped and created more unity than in a smaller class.

I don't want to compare myself to Krishnamacharya....come on!

If taking away accomplishment from the human psyche is the goal, I don't not have the same goals.

There was one moment in class. One student. She was in warrior II. Her knee directly over the ankle, eyes forward. I saw her in profile and it was the most beautiful warrior, I have ever seen. It was so focused and pointed that I think I will remember it always. She is one of my regular students. It's hard to describe here, but it was as if she was Virabhadra. Perhaps what I saw in her is what I'm dealing with in me. My struggles to overcome the obstacles of ego. There's a section in Light on Yoga about Virabhadrasana that I think I will read tonight.

Eric

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-10 4:31 PM (#85890 - in reply to #85688)

TampaEric - 2007-05-09 10:19 AM

Eric

I apologize for missing the above statement. First, see my previous response which applauds what you have achieved. But, ..... NO . I do not think you should give up your job, if you need income. About Yoga, you can not be sure of earning sufficient income even if you are a world famous Yoga teacher.

And, even if you do earn, that earning a lot using Yoga is not as much fun as when you are doing without too much income in mind. For more info, PM me.

mishoga
Posted 2007-05-10 5:00 PM (#85894 - in reply to #85688)

Expert Yogi

Eric, I say enjoy the moment, just don't let yourself attach to the joyful emotion. Life and classes always seem to go on a roller coaster.

The students are enjoying your teaching style and technique. Stay focused and give them your best, AND don't quit your day job just yet.

Peace out brotha!!!!
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-10 5:00 PM (#85895 - in reply to #85890)

300! That would be something. I would enjoy studying with you. I did visit your site before and enjoyed it.

I think I undestand what you mean.

I do need income to support my family. What I'm trying to do is reduce my expensives as I make more money. This will allow for a smooth transition to full time teaching. Making that much money from teachings is very difficult, but I will reduce my expenses. I'm thinking of this as my retirement. I will retire from this job and work part-time/full time as a yoga teacher. I've had pretty good success so far, so I'm hoping that it will continue. I've been very fortunate with money and I believe that prosperity comes from my own practice.

I've been doing this thing lately. I get to the studio early and clean the floors, throw towels in the landry, open the doors and let the fresh air in. I make sure all the room is welcoming. And sure enough more people are coming. Sounds silly to some, but it works for me. I even wake up at 5:00 a.m. on Sundays, clean my own house and then clean the floors of the studio. Everytime I have done this more people show up.

On Tues when lots of student came, I spent time making a beautiful CD and sequencing the music to the sequence i was using.

This is meant to be
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-10 5:03 PM (#85896 - in reply to #85688)

Expert Yogi

Go for it. It's in your heart! Let it flow.
Don't forget to ask the devine for signs to know you're on the right path. They will show themselves to you if you pay attention.

Be very aware!!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-10 6:07 PM (#85900 - in reply to #85688)

That is fantastic again!!! I wish you all the best. Even I shall send you one CD as a gift, music one. Give me address. But remember, do NOT totally depend on Yoga income to support family until your income is such that you can supoort family from that whatever income for 1 year or more without using any other income with whatever your determined life style.

And, one more thing: Do NOT work too hard, work hard but NOT too hard, to make the income happen.

Send us a picture of your room. You are SomeThing.
souljourney108
Posted 2007-05-10 9:34 PM (#85912 - in reply to #85688)

I find it so interesting, the motivation to be 'nice' or the motivation 'to be of help', in my life and seeing it in the responses in this forum, this thread is an example. I see two great teachers in Neel and Purna. Purna, you are unyielding in pointing to truth, a quality i admire. Just wanted to write that. Oh and I learn alot about asana from others. We are all where we are at, peeling layer by layer with awareness.

Hari Om
Soul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)