YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pain near my appendix
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> General WellnessMessage format

bredmond812
Posted 2007-05-06 3:11 PM (#85381)
Subject: pain near my appendix

hello y'all,

the other night, i woke up with pain in what felt like my appendix. I notice this sometimes after i have had a lot to eat, and when i stay up late. That night i woke up, i felt it on my left side too. Does anybody have any clue what this might be?...actually, i feel it right now...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-06 7:02 PM (#85395 - in reply to #85381)
Subject: RE: pain near my appendix

bredmond812 - 2007-05-06 3:11 PM

hello y'all,

the other night, i woke up with pain in what felt like my appendix. I notice this sometimes after i have had a lot to eat, and when i stay up late. That night i woke up, i felt it on my left side too. Does anybody have any clue what this might be?...actually, i feel it right now...

Either meet me or go on fast for a few days under proper supervison.
Fast = No eating, only plain water. And, sleep.
bredmond812
Posted 2007-05-06 7:56 PM (#85400 - in reply to #85381)

gosh, that is pretty intense. If i dont go for more than a few hours without eating, i will get sick. Then i will oversleep the next day, and be depressed that i didnt meet my sleeping goal. I have never fasted before, except when i was a heavy smoker, and that is because i didnt feel as hungry. Also, I guess i fasted when i started taking Adderall, but that is also becasue i didnt feel as hungry. But to go a few days without eating for me may not be easy.

I only have a few more weeks left in school, and so i dont want to jeopardize my grades with something i am sure will temporarily destabilize me.

To add to that, I have some kind of anxiety disease, it is being treated. I think it is related to nutrition, and not getting enough nutrients. So now i am trying to eat as much healthy variety as i can to get all the nutrients i should be getting. This excludes fast food, refined sugars, cofffee, alcohol, etc. Also, i have been cutting back on the dairy. I have been drinking milk by the gallon since i was a child, and eating cheese by the chunk, i have been eating more and more yogurt, but now i have cut back drastically, replacing it with soy, orange juice or nothing.

But i appreciate your advice. Maybe if the symptoms remain, and I have graduated school, I will be in a better position to fast. But for now, i will just have to put up with it. It is irregular, and never too intense, i just get afraid that it might be something worse.

B Red
tourist
Posted 2007-05-06 8:37 PM (#85404 - in reply to #85400)

Expert Yogi

Bred - your body may just still be adjusting to the changes you have made. Do make sure you get lots of water. Switching to juice from milk can a) add a ton of sugar (even though it is "good" sugar) that your body may have trouble with or b) if you are drinking less liquid overall, you could be needing more water to keep your digestion happy. Congrats on giving up the dairy. I have done that and it was not easy
bredmond812
Posted 2007-05-06 11:00 PM (#85410 - in reply to #85381)

so what kind of sugar is in orange juice? is it anything i should be worried about? i am trying to avoid refined sugars also. I felt the pain near my appendix about a year ago before i started adjusting my diet, so it may not be from all that. One thing i can think of is kind of personal i guess, but who better to share it with than strangers in a setting where nobody can see who eachother really is? anyway here goes:

WARNING, THIS IS COULD BE UPSETTING TO READ. NOT FOR THE CASUAL OBSERVER. IF YOU ARE NOT INCLINED TO TRY TO HELP PEOPLE SOLVE THEIR PROBLEMS, THIS POST MIGHT MAKE YOU FEEL DISCOMFORT.

In the past, i used to get hungry at night, so i would eat late at night. I think, as they say, my system had already shut down for the night, so the food would kind of sit there. So the next day, i would have abdominal pressure, but i delt with it because I got so hungry at night and that is where my priorities were. So then, if i were to evacuate my bowels, the stool would be sloppy. This was distressing. The coping strategy i used was to 'retain the stool' with my mind controlling the bowel muscles. This way, there was longer time for the water to be reabsorbed by my body. I would have some gas during the process, but the stool came out more solid. Now, i dont get as hungry during the night, but out of habit and expectation of a loose stool, I at times retain it. It is subconscious, so I have to remind myself to not try to hold in my stools like that.

Before, i had a lot of pain in my sigmoid/descending colon, now it is gone, but i have the pain near my appendix. (although that night i felt it both at the junction of descending colon and sigmoid colon, as well as near the appendix/sphincter of the small intestine/large intestine).

I guess my question becomes: is this what is causing it? have i done myself harm? how do i fix it?

Thanks for listening and not judging me too much. I used to get hungry because of some chemical balance in my brain. I think it was a chemical imbalance brought on from lack of proper nutrition and even earlier from heavy smoking of cigarettes and bad nutrition, and even earlier from bad nutrition and something that i cannot determine. Now, the meds have improved my life, and i have striven to balance my nutrition better, broaden my yoga practice, and I am eating flaxseed pills (which really seem to be doing something).

B Redmond
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-07 12:28 AM (#85416 - in reply to #85400)

bredmond812 - 2007-05-06 7:56 PM

gosh, that is pretty intense. If i dont go for more than a few hours without eating, i will get sick. Then i will oversleep the next day, and be depressed that i didnt meet my sleeping goal. I have never fasted before, except when i was a heavy smoker, and that is because i didnt feel as hungry. Also, I guess i fasted when i started taking Adderall, but that is also becasue i didnt feel as hungry. But to go a few days without eating for me may not be easy.

I only have a few more weeks left in school, and so i dont want to jeopardize my grades with something i am sure will temporarily destabilize me.

To add to that, I have some kind of anxiety disease, it is being treated. I think it is related to nutrition, and not getting enough nutrients. So now i am trying to eat as much healthy variety as i can to get all the nutrients i should be getting. This excludes fast food, refined sugars, cofffee, alcohol, etc. Also, i have been cutting back on the dairy. I have been drinking milk by the gallon since i was a child, and eating cheese by the chunk, i have been eating more and more yogurt, but now i have cut back drastically, replacing it with soy, orange juice or nothing.

But i appreciate your advice. Maybe if the symptoms remain, and I have graduated school, I will be in a better position to fast. But for now, i will just have to put up with it. It is irregular, and never too intense, i just get afraid that it might be something worse.

B Red

Now the nature of your question has changed. If you have only a few weeks left for something which is your highest priority, then you must meet the doctor who can actually examine your Appendix Area using proper means to determine that there is NO emergency. Once you find that there is NO emergency, you should do whatever possible to get through the few weeks.

Later, you should consider my above recommendation, without forgetting the word 'supervised' in it.

All other things you wrote make the situation complex and you should try to simply the situation.

I admire your steps to improve your health.
tourist
Posted 2007-05-07 10:07 AM (#85453 - in reply to #85416)

Expert Yogi

Well, the main type of sugar in orange juice is probably fructose. Someone will correct me if I am wrong. If you have issues with blood sugar (and waking in the night hungry as you say you used to is a symptom of that, I guess) then you will need to be careful about how much fruit and juice you consume. Sometimes people attempting to "improve" their diet on their own go overboard with fruit and juices - especially juices. Anyway, you could have a bowel blockage, you could have a gas bubble, you could have pain due to nerves, you could have appendicitis, an ovarian cyst (are you male or female?), a hundred other female issues etc. We could go on and on trying to diagnose you over the internet but you probably aren't going to get a decent answer because we don't know you and aren't qualified to diagnose (most of us, anyway) anybody. If you have pain enough to think you might have a serious medical problem, see a doctor. If it is just one of those pains that you think might be something but probably isn't, you can wait and see what happens. Good luck and let us know how you are doing!
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-07 11:34 AM (#85463 - in reply to #85410)

Hi Brandon,

The symptoms of pressure in the bowel you describe do not seem alarming or suspicious of serious problems. In fact, without examination, they sound pretty common. Most bowel complaints in younger people (as opposed to old people) are from poor transit time of digested foods passing through. If we fail to move the unused portions of our intake from the bowel in proper time, gases are created which can cause pressure and discomfort. These gases and pressures can cause a wide variety of symptoms, some of which you describe in your posts. How to help? Your water intake pretty much determines your transit time (or, how long it takes to evacuate food - now waste - after it is eaten). I recommend a couple of things for improved bowel health: drink a quart of room temperature water when you first arise. Just chew right through it. Drink another quart during the morning. Let any food you eat digest for at least one hour before drinking that second quart. Then, before the sun goes down, try to drink another quart (again, allow at least one hour of digestion before drinking it). If we drink water with a meal, or shortly after, we dilute the digestive enzymes we need for proper break-down of foods and more gas is the result and poorer absorption of nutrients from the food. The roughage in the flax seeds while have a mechanical cleansing effect on the bowel due to the nature of that food - that's OK. It is also the biggest botanical (plant based) source of Omega 3 essential fatty acid, very good for you. Pysillium seeds are also used for bowel health, for their mechanical action of cleansing the bowel. They are often the main component of bowel aides sold broadly. If the bowel is irritated for some reason (not uncommon), then drinking aloe vera juice can be helpful, in moderation. Also, the health of the bowel is dependent upon proper bacterial concentrations. Acidopholous preparations can help reestablish such beneficial bacteria levels.

All of these suggestions are available for you to try without having to go to a doctor, provided you are not suffering from more profound symptoms not yet revealed. Of the suggestions, I would try adding the 2-3 quarts of water first. You'll have to pee alot at the outset, but your body will adjust soon, to it's benefit.

The circumstances of our life, good/poor health, good/poor relationships, struggle/victory with things, etc. are what we have to work with in order to better understand who we are as a human being. As we learn these personal things, we become better able to help others over time with the same or similar problems and understanding. While these circumstances may seem burdensome at the outset, they are our basic tools for salvation and lead, if we are sincere, to the ability to be a source of well-being to others. What could be more important?

Best of luck.

Michael
bredmond812
Posted 2007-05-07 12:56 PM (#85474 - in reply to #85381)

somebody asked my gender-->it is male.

the flaxseed?--> it is pills, probably no roughage, but i can eat oatmeal.

Thanks for all the awesome advice. I had been thinking i dont get enough water in my system anyway.

B Redmond
bredmond812
Posted 2007-05-07 1:17 PM (#85480 - in reply to #85381)

how many days should i be doing this 3 quarts of water thing?

also, how long after the first quart can I start to eat breakfast?

Thanks,

Brandon Redmond

Edited by bredmond812 2007-05-07 1:22 PM
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-07 1:59 PM (#85486 - in reply to #85453)

tourist - 2007-05-08 6:07 PM

Well, the main type of sugar in orange juice is probably fructose. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

If you squeeze your own oranges, then it's fructose.

If you buy prepared juice from the supermarket, it will still contain fructose but also sucrose (which will send your blood sugar through the roof).

Jonathon
bredmond812
Posted 2007-05-07 2:04 PM (#85487 - in reply to #85381)

shucks, sucrose? how am i supposed to get my calcium? I guess i will have to stick with just soy milk then...
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-07 2:10 PM (#85488 - in reply to #85487)

bredmond812 - 2007-05-08 10:04 PM

shucks, sucrose? how am i supposed to get my calcium? I guess i will have to stick with just soy milk then...

Excellent sources of calcium include cheese (Swiss & chedder are best), almonds, prunes, cabbage and pumpkin seeds.
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-07 2:25 PM (#85489 - in reply to #85480)

bredmond812 - 2007-05-07 10:17 AM

how many days should i be doing this 3 quarts of water thing?

also, how long after the first quart can I start to eat breakfast?

Thanks,

Brandon Redmond

Hi Brandon,

As long as you have breath, drink your water. Water goes through the digestive system much quicker than food solids (which have to be broken down into fluid state before they can pass out of the stomach).
So, even a few minutes after the first quart you can eat breakfast, or any other meal.

Michael
tourist
Posted 2007-05-07 8:57 PM (#85506 - in reply to #85474)

Expert Yogi

bredmond812 - 2007-05-07 9:56 AM
somebody asked my gender-->it is male.

OK - I did note the usually male first name, but you can't be certain these days Anyway, rules out any dire warnings about ovarian cancer Drink lotsa water.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)