YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What's your personality type?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-04 11:47 AM (#85179)
Subject: What's your personality type?

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Myers-Briggs personality indicator, but it is a useful system to make sense out of the variety of personalities that exist. I'm curious to know what the yoga instructors on this forum's MBTIs are. Certain occupations attract certain types. Engineers tend to be ISTJ for example. If you don't know your MBTI just describing your personality in a succint way will be great and interesting.

Mine is INTJ (introverted, intuitive, thinking, judgement). Most yoga instructors from what I can tell seem to be ESFP, the exact opposite of my type. Of course, all personality types are represented among yoga instructors, but there no doubt is some sort of pattern. I could go on an on about this as personality is a big interest of mine, but I'll spare you. I am very interested to see your responses.

Edited by shalamOM 2007-05-04 11:53 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2007-05-04 12:10 PM (#85184 - in reply to #85179)
Subject: RE: What's your personality ty

ISTJ, engineer, not a yoga instructor, though I play one on these boards....
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-04 12:13 PM (#85186 - in reply to #85179)
Subject: RE: What's your personality type?

Mine is Stupid Indian, but wise Yogi. SIWY.
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-04 12:15 PM (#85187 - in reply to #85179)

Expert Yogi

I'm a INFP
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-04 1:22 PM (#85194 - in reply to #85179)

Mine said: INFJ

This is me

"Furthermore, the Counselor is most likely of all the types to demonstrate an ability to understand psychic phenomena and to have visions of human events, past, present, or future. What is known as ESP may well be exceptional intuitive ability-in both its forms, projection and introjection. Such supernormal intuition is found frequently in the Counselor, and can extend to people, things, and often events, taking the form of visions, episodes of foreknowledge, premonitions, auditory and visual images of things to come, as well as uncanny communications with "
riftweaver
Posted 2007-05-04 1:33 PM (#85197 - in reply to #85179)

INFJ

--Jason
Orbilia
Posted 2007-05-04 1:34 PM (#85198 - in reply to #85194)

I'm ann ENTP but not a yoga instructor. I was an engineer / project manager, then an analyst programmer, and am now a programme support analyst. I think that means I tolerate being bored and confused well

I think having a poll on this would be good...... see if there's a skew to any one combination?

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2007-05-04 1:35 PM
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-04 1:47 PM (#85199 - in reply to #85179)

ENFJ
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-04 2:58 PM (#85203 - in reply to #85179)

Expert Yogi

I've never heard of this before. This is so cool. I found a more comprehensive description of my result and it's me to the tee!

Thanks for bringing that to my awareness. I'm going to make my girlfriend do it when she calls me.
Thanks

Posted 2007-05-04 3:30 PM (#85204 - in reply to #85203)

SOB (according to my wife)
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-04 3:51 PM (#85205 - in reply to #85179)

ISFP = introverted, sensing, feeling, perceiving

Also described as a composer-artisan type. I don't know if that's really me....

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-04 4:27 PM (#85206 - in reply to #85204)

Bruce - 2007-05-04 3:30 PM

SOB (according to my wife)

and BBB according to Yoga.com
shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-04 4:50 PM (#85211 - in reply to #85179)

It is possible to be mistyped at first. The questionnaires aren't perfect so sometimes you need to read the descriptions and decide which one fits you the most.

We also have to be aware of the confounding effect of internet forums. People who like to post on forums tend to be of a certain type, probably more introverted and analytical, but definitely not a random sample of yoga instructors.
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-04 4:56 PM (#85212 - in reply to #85179)

Expert Yogi

Uh OH! I like to post. I'm definitely an introvert.
I teach a lot so obviously I speak often.. When I'm not teaching, especially a day like today where I taught for 4 hours, I like to be quiet. That is why I am going to meditation class tonight.

That description is me 100%
Scary
tourist
Posted 2007-05-04 10:16 PM (#85221 - in reply to #85212)

Expert Yogi

INFJ on the one I just took. It tells you the careers your type suits and it says it is ok for me to be an early childhood educator (whew!) and education in general, but it doesn't say yoga teacher.

Ok, I took another one and it says ENFP. Well, the N and the F are consistent, at least
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-05 1:10 AM (#85226 - in reply to #85179)

How are you all scoring yourselves?

As a self scoring test, it will only be as accurate as either the consistency of your answers or the accuracy of the computer program scoring you, so the validity of the test version that you are using is important.

Because this test measures type and not trait, you may be borderline on some types which will not be reflected in scoring. In my case, the NFJ are always constant, though I'm about 49% extrovert and 51% introvert. AT work the E tends to dominate, while at home it's I.

I love the MBTI, I also use the JTI (Jung Type Indicator), which gives exactly the same four letter code as well. I was actually administering these as part of my day job (management trainer/consultant) last week.

If I'm not administering the official MBTI/JTI, I recommend the Keirsey Bates online version at:

http://www.keirsey.com/
tourist
Posted 2007-05-05 9:55 AM (#85251 - in reply to #85226)

Expert Yogi

Well jonnie - the Keirsy one gave a different score again. It doesn't give the 4 letters unless you pay, but it says "artisan" which is ESTP, ISFP, ISTP or ESFP. None of those match the other tests I took. I liked the Jungian one because it gave an "in the middle" choice, which was a good choice for me on many things. The introvert/extrovert questions are challenging for me because I am tending much more to I and away from E over the years. Or to be more precise, I am discovering that I always WAS more I and am allowing that to dominate more and not pushing myself to be E because that is how I was conditioned as a child. Anyway, I can see this would be a much more useful tool in the hands of someone who knew what they were doing. I am sure that you have ways of clarifying some of the questions and ways of weighing things that are more helpful to your staff and potential staff. I would love to have a longer list to work with and be able to weight my answers by using just those I felt strongly about or clicked the answer without a moment's hesitation. That would give a clearer result I am sure. Still - kinda fun!
shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-06 12:58 AM (#85314 - in reply to #85179)

It looks like there are quite a few NFs here.

IRL I still think that yoga instructors tend to be ESFP/ENFP, but I could be wrong of course...others have any input on this?

American yogis tend to idealize traits associated with ENFP.
Actual Indian yogis probably tend to INFJ.

The personality type most in conflict with the ideals of yoga is the ESTP. Those people probably have little attraction to yoga.

Feel free to disagree/comment....

Edited by shalamOM 2007-05-06 12:59 AM
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-06 1:46 AM (#85320 - in reply to #85251)

tourist - 2007-05-06 5:55 PM

Well jonnie - the Keirsy one gave a different score again. It doesn't give the 4 letters unless you pay, but it says "artisan" which is ESTP, ISFP, ISTP or ESFP. None of those match the other tests I took.

Sorry about that. I haven't used their site for a while, though it was always the best one and it used to let you download the codes for free.

A friend of mine, the Rev Canon Bruce Duncan, wrote an excellent book called 'Pray Your Way' which applies the 16 personality types to the different ways that people pray. Recognising that there is no one way fits all.

This also goes a long way to understanding why practises such as meditation or lying in savasana are so easy and relaxing for some and so difficult and challenging for others.

If you give me a month (child on the way, crazy busy with work etc), I'll send you an official test sheet and questions. Fill it in and return it to me and I'll prepare you a nice big report....

Jonathon
tourist
Posted 2007-05-06 4:01 PM (#85387 - in reply to #85320)

Expert Yogi

Yeah - you think you'll have more time AFTER the baby is born!! Sorry - we experienced parents have earned the right to gently mock the uninitiated

Do let me know when you feel you have time to do that. It would be very interesting. I know zoebird has done a lot of personal work in this area as well and we have discussed it here in the past. Great stuff. Whenever I did these sorts of tests in work situations I would just lie to skew it the way I thought they wanted it to be, throw in a few "bad" responses so as not to look too perfect. Worked every time. It would be nice to have one that I didn't cheat on
Orbilia
Posted 2007-05-08 5:36 AM (#85532 - in reply to #85226)

My company sent all of us on a Leadership course that included Briggs-Myer, including covering 'degrees of' so I'm reasonably confident of my type assessment. One idea they had was that once we went back to the office, we should all get T-shirts printed up with our type and then swop with a colleague to try operating like their type... an exercise in empathy.

Fee

jonnie - 2007-05-05 6:10 AM

How are you all scoring yourselves?

As a self scoring test, it will only be as accurate as either the consistency of your answers or the accuracy of the computer program scoring you, so the validity of the test version that you are using is important.

Because this test measures type and not trait, you may be borderline on some types which will not be reflected in scoring. In my case, the NFJ are always constant, though I'm about 49% extrovert and 51% introvert. AT work the E tends to dominate, while at home it's I.

I love the MBTI, I also use the JTI (Jung Type Indicator), which gives exactly the same four letter code as well. I was actually administering these as part of my day job (management trainer/consultant) last week.

If I'm not administering the official MBTI/JTI, I recommend the Keirsey Bates online version at:

http://www.keirsey.com/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)