YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ashtanga and Birth Control
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Spring Haze
Posted 2007-05-04 11:11 AM (#85175)
Subject: Ashtanga and Birth Control

So, after about two and a half solid years of being on hormonal birth control, I'm thinking of giving my body a break. Do any other Ashtanginis out there find that birth control affects their practice? I don't know that it's affected my asanas exactly, but the emotional aspects (random moodiness, random food cravings, etc) do get to me.

Anyway, did anyone find that going off of birth control helped their practice? I'm just hoping that my body returns to a normal cycle so that I can chart things out. I really regret going on the stuff in the first place.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-04 12:12 PM (#85185 - in reply to #85175)
Subject: RE: Ashtanga and Birth Control

Spring Haze - 2007-05-04 11:11 AM

So, after about two and a half solid years of being on hormonal birth control, I'm thinking of giving my body a break. Do any other Ashtanginis out there find that birth control affects their practice? I don't know that it's affected my asanas exactly, but the emotional aspects (random moodiness, random food cravings, etc) do get to me.

Anyway, did anyone find that going off of birth control helped their practice? I'm just hoping that my body returns to a normal cycle so that I can chart things out. I really regret going on the stuff in the first place.

Any harmonal change will affect any persons emotion in some fashion. If this is achieved by taking drugs, giving up that drug shall also create emotional withdrawl. So, one should be patient until all things settle after a drug is removed. Harmonal suppliment is a DRUG.
pigeondove
Posted 2008-10-18 8:46 AM (#111437 - in reply to #85175)

I actually find that the oral contraceptive pill inhibits my flexibility. Anecdotally, I think this is due to fluid retention, particularly in the joints. When I am taking the pill (I have been on and off it for the last 6 years), the tissue in my limbs feels tighter, like it is retaining fluid. I am quite flexible so this doesn't stop me from binding in most poses, but when I am at the most fluid-retentive part of my 'cycle' (I realise with the pill there is actually no cycle occurring) binding in supta kurmasana is difficult. I can only bind in malasana when I am not taking the pill.

For this reason I would really like not to have to take the pill, but I suppose it's worth the other benefits (particularly the clear skin!).

Edited by pigeondove 2008-10-18 8:47 AM
patient@44
Posted 2008-10-18 10:52 AM (#111440 - in reply to #85175)

I too recently went off BCP's and have found that my practice feels more relaxed. I have not really noticed a changed in my flexibility but have noticed a marked changed in how much I sweat. While on the pill, I sweat profusely, now, not so much, interesting.

I have noticed that as i get deeper into yoga, holistically that is, I have a much deeper awareness of how all things effect me, my body, my mind, my emotions. Hormones especially have a very global affect on one's being.

Peace and happiness!
Miabella704
Posted 2008-10-28 11:37 PM (#111662 - in reply to #85175)

As a runner I've been told that birth control pills negatively affect your circulation, endurance, and connective tissues. Any physical practice or exercise will normally improve after you stop taking them.

Posted 2008-10-29 8:57 AM (#111663 - in reply to #85175)

i found that Fertility Awareness Method of charting was eye-opening and informative in regards to my fertility and every aspect of my life really. it's pretty amazing and as effective as hormonal birth control when practiced properly. and, also effective for getting pregnant if one is trying.
hnia
Posted 2008-10-29 9:55 AM (#111664 - in reply to #85175)

Just be careful. My wife got pregnant within a month after stopping the pill.
tmarques
Posted 2008-10-30 1:56 PM (#111685 - in reply to #85175)

I love being a man!

kulkarnn
Posted 2008-10-31 7:59 AM (#111715 - in reply to #111662)

Dear Mia: Any Birth Control Method, except a Yogic Training of the Mind (that is NOT a joke, but should be done as much as one can achieve, and NOT too much), shall negatively affect physical and mental health of a person. However, if other factors of health are maintained, and one chooses least harmful birth control method, they shall be much better of. Of course, the person should be given the choice in this case, at least in today's times!

Miabella704 - 2008-10-28 11:37 PM

As a runner I've been told that birth control pills negatively affect your circulation, endurance, and connective tissues. Any physical practice or exercise will normally improve after you stop taking them.
koolaboola
Posted 2009-05-25 9:43 AM (#116142 - in reply to #85175)
Subject: Re: Ashtanga and Birth Control

I think it differs from woman to woman. The pill was very bad for me - I became quite depressed and felt like I was 'numb' to life. I also had extreme food cravings and piled on a lot of weight very quickly. The doctors were terrible. They kept saying it must be 'all in my head' and offering me a different variety of pill - including an implant that I couldn't take out without booking an appointment a month in advance - until I felt I probably was quite mad. Eventually my body mutinied - I started having heavy periods that lasted three weeks! That did it ... the doctors finally admitted that the pill was bad for me and took the implant out.

I now use a diaphragm and couldn't be happier. Several days after finishing with the pill my depression lifted. Yoga helped bring my body back into balance again. I still get quite bad PMT if I don't practice yoga but that's all.

Then again, I do have friends who have happily used the pill for years with no problems. As in most things, we probably should listen to ourselves.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)