YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

one-pointedness?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

strazin
Posted 2007-05-03 6:41 PM (#85113)
Subject: one-pointedness?

There is one discrepancy which I do not understand in different meditation styles. Many techniques encourage "one-pointedness" (either focusing completely on a spot on the wall, or focusing completely on the breath, or a sound) while other styles of mediation seem to encourage focusing on the whole as opposed to a single point. For example, observing your breath, and heartbeat, and all the other physical sensations in your body at once, as well as all the sounds around you.

Both of these approaches appear perfectly sound in their own way, yet they seem to contradict each other. Am I not seeing something?

I'm also confused about which approach I should follow. Right now, I do both in succession when I meditate. How can I determine which is right for me?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-05-03 7:14 PM (#85121 - in reply to #85113)
Subject: RE: one-pointedness?

Expert Yogi

The yoga sutras, or is it the Pradipika? says you should go with what attracts you, what seems to work for your personality. For most people I think the whole nothingness idea is just too huge. A mantra or breath practice is easier to start with. But if you are visual, you might want to do a visual practice, you know?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-03 10:51 PM (#85132 - in reply to #85113)

strazin - 2007-05-03 6:41 PM

Both of these approaches appear perfectly sound in their own way, yet they seem to contradict each other. Am I not seeing something?
===> Yes. You are trying to compare the two approaches without doing any of them sufficiently.

I'm also confused about which approach I should follow. Right now, I do both in succession when I meditate. How can I determine which is right for me?
===> If you can not determine by this time, you should obtain instruction you can trust, and then follow one approach sufficiently.
bipinjoshi
Posted 2007-05-03 11:25 PM (#85134 - in reply to #85113)

Hello,
Irrespective of the approach the final goal is the same - controlling the ever wandering mind. There are many people who cannot focus on a single point easily. For them instead of "one point" a "set of points" can prove to be useful. So, rather than allowing the mind to wander in random directions you allow it to wander in a narrow area. This way it gets trained and then you can lead it to one point awareness. Whichever technique you use finally you are gaining control over the mind. So these techniques are not contradictory but complimentary.

The approach that is right for you can be figured out by practicing both of the techniques and judge which one works for you. Better is of course to consult an experienced Yoga teacher.
jonnie
Posted 2007-05-04 1:38 AM (#85142 - in reply to #85113)

Hi Strazin,

If you choose just one approach and stick with that, this problem will go away completely.

Jonathon
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)