YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lifted kneecaps
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Bay Guy
Posted 2007-04-30 9:44 PM (#84702)
Subject: Lifted kneecaps

Expert Yogi

We've all heard it, now somebody explain it:  Why lift your knee caps in standing asanas?

I don't find it at all protective of hyperextension, so there must be some other reason...

.. bg

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-30 9:50 PM (#84704 - in reply to #84702)
Subject: RE: Lifted kneecaps

Bay Guy - 2007-04-30 9:44 PM

We've all heard it, now somebody explain it:  Why lift your knee caps in standing asanas?

I don't find it at all protective of hyperextension, so there must be some other reason...

.. bg

Because, in the standing asana, the inside of the knee is supposed to be flexed. This is synonymous with knee cap lifting up.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-04-30 9:50 PM (#84706 - in reply to #84704)

Expert Yogi

Hmm -- thanks, BN, but I don't find that sensation in lifting my knee cap. Wonder if I'm also tensing some hamstrings when I tighten the Vastus Medialis?

... bg

tourist
Posted 2007-04-30 11:57 PM (#84719 - in reply to #84706)

Expert Yogi

The instructions for tadasana in LOY say "pull up the muscles at the back of the thighs" so I am thinking there is some engagement of the hamstrings. My sense has always been that the entire body is engaged while in tadasana, and to get that, the quads have to be activated by lifting the kneecaps. Perhaps this is simplistic, but that is my take.
riftweaver
Posted 2007-05-01 11:20 AM (#84743 - in reply to #84702)

This is interesting, because I can have the sensation of what I think of as pulling up on my kneecaps, which is very different than what I think of as tensing the quads, which in turn is different from "engaging" the legs and hugging the bones with the muscles (another common description). I tend to feel the last apprach is the best one for me though, especially given my knee problem. I don't like the feeling of pulling up on my kneecap (as I do it), because it is distinctly uncomfortable, and not in a way I consider good for my problematic knee.

--Jason
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-01 12:45 PM (#84751 - in reply to #84706)

Bay Guy - 2007-04-30 9:50 PM

Hmm -- thanks, BN, but I don't find that sensation in lifting my knee cap. Wonder if I'm also tensing some hamstrings when I tighten the Vastus Medialis?

... bg

Dear Brother BG: Though I studied anatomy, I shall leave that explanation to Nick or may be dmbones.

When you flex the inside of the knees as needed for Tadasana, the flexing itself is felt by you, and you should not worry about Knee Caps. Knee Caps are seen to be lifted by an external person who is watching you. That person sees the knee caps, and does not see what and how of flexing inside.

If you are flexing inside, then you are done. For the outside person, knee caps must be seen to be lifted.
savasana2
Posted 2007-05-01 1:12 PM (#84755 - in reply to #84702)

not an anatomy expert. nick et al will come along to address this in a more microscopic way. but my understanding of this instruction is to engage the muscles of the front thigh and the muscles of the back thigh to the midline, that is toward the bone. simultaneously move the muscles of the inner thigh laterally...but specific to correcting hyperextension using the muscles of the upper thigh(because you can also make a correction from the foot, toes, and ankle!), you make a mind-body connection with the back inner knee, and ensure that it is moving up and forward toward the front of the room as opposed to pressing back and down, hence hyperxtending the knee...

hyperextension happens how? when the thigh bone at the distal(knee) portion is pushed back, and it the proximal portion(pushd forward OR the shin bone at it's proximal portion is pushed back towards the back body while the distal portion at the ankle is forced forward...you oonly asked about the engagement of the upper leg muscles in relation to hyperextension, so i've only addressed that. i don't even know if i did it correctly or satisfactorily so i won't attempt to explain the other corrections...i'm going to quit while i'm ahead until nick and others get here...

Edited by savasana2 2007-05-01 1:42 PM
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-01 2:11 PM (#84768 - in reply to #84702)

I reason why you engage the front of the legs is because this helps the back of the legs relax.
Engaging the front of the legs is what allowed my hamstrings to open up. My experience is that it has helped lots of my students and myself. Like any advice you can take it or leave it.

hyperextension would be different. Locking the legs too much. If you have this, microbend the knees and then engage the quads (kneecaps)
shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-01 3:33 PM (#84788 - in reply to #84702)

I agree Bay Guy. I'm sure saying lifting the kneecaps just causes students to lock their knees a little. It's really a strange way to get students to engage their leg muscles and keep the kneecap on track. I've noticed that when I bring my pelvis into a neutral position using the muscles around the pelvis my entire legs just magically come into good alignment all the way down to my feet. But even over neutralizing my pelvis can cause some knee locking. For people who already have good muscle tone, the kneecaps may already be 'lifted' enough.
savasana2
Posted 2007-05-01 3:52 PM (#84791 - in reply to #84788)

i don't know what you mean by "over neutralising" the pelvis...but if you the posterior tilt of your pelvis is too aggressive then the top of the femur is forced forward and the "knee - end" of the femur moves back in response, thus creating some hyperextension at the knee joint...i may be oversimplifying the movement pattern but you should get the gist.
tourist
Posted 2007-05-01 7:21 PM (#84805 - in reply to #84791)

Expert Yogi

If it hurts to "lift the kneecap" you are doing it wrong You should not feel pain in the back of the knee or feel any edge of the kneecap digging in anywhere. It is actually easier to see the action in dandasana. If the heels lift off the floor, you have work to do
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-05-01 9:30 PM (#84815 - in reply to #84805)

Expert Yogi

This is one of these things where I will eventually get an adjustment or an instruction that will make it clear. At present, lifting the kneecaps just feels like an extra exertion that has *no effect* on the alignment of my leg.

Well, wait....the one pose in which I really find this to have any effect is Uttitha Trikonasana -- although that's mainly b/c it brings my attention to the the rotation of the forward leg.

... bg

Nick
Posted 2007-05-02 1:43 AM (#84832 - in reply to #84815)

Hi Bay Guy,
Good question-you could easily write a book on this to do with yoga. I'll go through a couple of things I'm sure everyone's heard of, but the thought process helps get my poor brain in gear.

Reciprocal Inhibition: Contraction of muscles on one side of a joint causes the antagonists on the opposite side of the joint to relax-if this didn't happen, the antagonists would tear every time the agonists contracted. So lifting the kneecap, which actually happens throughout knee extension, helps to relax the hamstrings. Unfortunately, lifting the kneecaps, in my opinion, is over-taught inthe yoga world, and often leads to knee hyper-extension. In standing postures, you often see the calf muscles become prominent, like in the front leg of trikonasana-if you find that the calves get tired in standings, this could be the reason-from personal exerience.

Vastus medialis: The are four quadriceps-each one exerts a pull on the kneecap, which then pulls on the tibia-this pulley arrangement makes for powerful forces to be created. If you think of each muscles as being like a guy with a rope, and the kneecap as being a wild horse, and each man is pulling on the horse, then vastus medialis will tend to pull the kneecap medially as well as up-vastus lateralis will pull laterally and up. What sometimes happens is that because of muscle imbalance, the vastus medialis is too weak, causing the kneecap to deviate laterally as you extend your knee-so a lot of rehab work is concentrated on improving patellar tracking.
I heard about this work twenty years ago-it was appearing in all the national papers. So it's practically common knowledge-trouble is, people over-use it or mis-apply it-then the knee hyper-extension problems surface again.

Lombard's paradox and the Closed Kinetic chain: Lombard observed that when we stand up from a chair, both the hamstrings and the quads fire-what is happening? Theoretically they should be cancelling each other out and we would never get up. But the force of hamstring contraction overcomes the quads at the hip, and the force of quad contraction overcomes the hamstrings at the knee-then the knee and hip both extend, and we stand up. Phew
This is called "Co-contraction."
Co-contraction becomes the rule of movmeent in the closed kinetic chain, and we should try to utilize this in standing and sitting postures, or in handstands or headstands, where the upper extremities become the limbs responsible for provding the force to drive us away from the ground.

More later?

Nick

Posted 2007-05-02 3:27 AM (#84838 - in reply to #84702)

There is a difference between an action and a movement. And since this is a yoga board and I'm tired, plus I have to go read something every time Nick posts, I'll leave that there. Figure it out for yourself.

Now, the lifting of the knee caps, which is the question, right? At least in class I can follow the question. On the board, by the time I get into the fray, the question is more elusive than a slippery pig at night during a new moon.

This lifting instruction is primarily an action. That action often results in the contraction of the quadriceps. Some of them, all of them, to degrees, completely, it's not the relevant issue for the question at hand. The question is why. An answer is that in standing poses the legs are to be engaged. All of the legs, some of the legs, to degree, completely, it's not relevant to the question at hand. Done properly this can stabilize the knee joint. Done properly.

Another instruction toward this end is "lift" the quadriceps. Now sometimes teachers take an instruction, employ it in their teaching, and do not fully undrstand it. This is where "over instruction" comes in but it is not "over" instruction. It is actually under instruction (or poor) instruction.

There are two basic reasons for "finding" the quadriceps. (which again is not a literal instruction because the blooming things are right there in the front of your thigh bone). When we stand, or bear the weight of the body on the limbs, the way in which we have become accustomed to doing so tends to aggitate the nervous system. Why? Becasue we are using the spine to support the body. Yes yes the spine DOES support the body. However in our context the legs do not handle enough of the load. Try coming up from trikonasana without the legs (which is how most people do the pose anyway) and really feel where you are lifting from.

When we, through asana, build the proper energy in the legs, they support the nervous system by taking the excess load of the spine - which is the hub for the Central Nervous System. Similarly, when we invert we are also looking to free up the hub (in this case softening the invertebral muscles).

In addition, the legs feed the pelvis (energetically) which in turn supports heart function, among other things. The legs are the conduit from which we draw Earth energy into the koshas.

There are a myriad of other reasons to work the quadriceps in this way. Some of them have already been illuistrated above.

A skilled teacher who looks for safety issues first, should spot hyperextension and offer other instructions to that or those students in order to counter such a misalignment.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-05-02 3:29 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-05-02 10:18 AM (#84897 - in reply to #84838)

Expert Yogi

Whoa! I actually read AND understood all of nick and purna's posts And on only one coffee...

We actually discussed this a bit in class last night. In tadasana, to get the broadening of the back upper thighs required to keep the lumbar long, the front thigh has to roll inward. If you don't lift the kneecap (properly - and I agree this is often taught incorrectly even and especially by Iyengar teachers. Sorry folks, it seems to be true!) the whole front of the leg rotates inward and you get knocked knees. Keeping the quads engaged keeps the kneecaps in the center of the front of the leg.
Nick
Posted 2007-05-02 10:38 AM (#84904 - in reply to #84897)

Hi Glenda,
Maybe part of the problem is that rectus femoris (one of the quadriceps) also crosses the hip joint and attaches to the front of the pelvis, near the brim. This may mean that when the kneecaps are lifted, there is also a tendency perhaps for the brim of the pelvis to be pulled down-resulting in hip flexion, which tends to internally rotate the hip in standing poses-so the kneecap ends up facing medially? Just a thought.

Nick
TampaEric
Posted 2007-05-02 10:59 AM (#84911 - in reply to #84805)

If the heels lift off the floor, you have work to do

Hey Tourist,

Are you referring to hyperextension here?

Eric
tourist
Posted 2007-05-02 6:53 PM (#84976 - in reply to #84911)

Expert Yogi

I have one teacher who absolutely goes nuts when people talk about hyper extended knees. It is apparently not correct terminology - Nick, you can weigh in here. Anyway, yes, that is basically what I am talking about - what is commonly called hyper extended knees. In dandasana you can really see if you are pressing the calf into the floor to "lift the kneecap" and you can usually feel the kneecap digging in as well. People who think they are flexible in forward bends get a little miffed when I holler "heels down!" I have them really lengthen their legs out and press out through the feet then LOOK at the quads as they engage them. That usually gets the "aha!" look I am trying for
Nick
Posted 2007-05-02 7:14 PM (#84982 - in reply to #84976)

Hi Glenda,
To me, without looking it up, knee hyper-extension is when the femur glides forwards over the tibia. When you are standing, and the leg is straight, the muscles around the knee are not active-there is a self-locking mechanism in the knee joint, so that we can stand up with less physical effort. This is why schoolboys have developed the trick of making someone fall over by getting someone to kneel down behind the victim, and then someone else pushing them from the front-this was very popular when I was at school, anyway If the muscles were active, the knee would not bend so easily, and the victim would stay erect.
When the knee hyper-extends in yoga postures, it is for one of several reaons, all of which make the posture 'easier' to do, but not so therapeutically valuable. In foward bends, it makes it easir to grab the feet. In triangle, it makes it easier to get the body parallel to the floor and the leg 'straight.'
I think the answer is to teach hamstring contraction as well as quad contraction-so the joint is supported from the rear, rather than 'hanging' off the contraction of the quadriceps at the front.
One of the reasons that i think the kneecap lifting is so difficult to teach is that it is simply not the way we organize our movment or posture-we organize action, not contraction. Alllied to this is the fact that both the hams and the quads are active in real life in straightening the leg-using the quad just isn't natural.

Nick
riftweaver
Posted 2007-05-03 9:07 AM (#85033 - in reply to #84976)

tourist - 2007-05-02 6:53 PM
 Anyway, yes, that is basically what I am talking about - what is commonly called hyper extended knees. In dandasana you can really see if you are pressing the calf into the floor to "lift the kneecap" and you can usually feel the kneecap digging in as well. People who think they are flexible in forward bends get a little miffed when I holler "heels down!" I have them really lengthen their legs out and press out through the feet then LOOK at the quads as they engage them. That usually gets the "aha!" look I am trying for

I don't think I can lift my heels off the ground in dandasana even if I want to. I've tried, just to see what hypertextended knees feels like! It wasn't possible for me though.

Maybe because I'm not "really flexible" in forward bends!

--Jason
tourist
Posted 2007-05-03 10:02 AM (#85041 - in reply to #85033)

Expert Yogi

Nick - I think you are right. But our (less painful) joke in school was to go behind someone and hit them in the back of the knee ever so slightly with our own knee. They kinda crumple!

All anatomical discussion aside, it really is the basic problem of students only working with the part of the body they can see and concentrating action around the knee because that is the part that moves. So our biggest job as teachers is to help bring awareness to the whole leg, yes?
Nick
Posted 2007-05-03 2:18 PM (#85079 - in reply to #85041)

Hi Glenda,
Yep, I guess so-integration of the functional input from each joint and the muscles that cross them-rather than isolation of the above-that's called body-building. (cue look of disdain

Nick
bredmond812
Posted 2007-05-06 12:58 AM (#85315 - in reply to #84702)

i dont want to hijack a thread, but i felt it kind of goes along with this one, and what i am going to ask doesnt really need a new thread...

many times when i lift the kneecap and try to engage the hamstring at the same time, i feel a very sharp pain in the tendon of the biceps femoris (there at the insertion at the knee). I notice it especially during the standing poses such as the Utthita Trikonasana (when i stand back up) and the Parsvottasana, as well as when i do the Hanumanasana. Any ideas on why this is? What i should do about it?

Also, my feet do raise off the ground during the Dandasana. I have had legs that sort of lock back when i stand for as long as I can remember. I have to deliberately watch the way that i stand or else they will lock back. Since you mention it is a problem, what do i do about this?

B Redmond
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-06 7:29 AM (#85334 - in reply to #84805)

tourist - 2007-05-01 7:21 PM If it hurts to "lift the kneecap" you are doing it wrong You should not feel pain in the back of the knee or feel any edge of the kneecap digging in anywhere. It is actually easier to see the action in dandasana. If the heels lift off the floor, you have work to do

I've taken class with a teacher who encourages us to engage the quads so much that the heels do lift off the floor. No, maybe it wasn't in dandasana but in upavistha konasana. It was more her instruction that the back of the knees touch the floor while the sit bones maintained contact, but yes, she did specifically say heels off the floor. I would think that action is inappropriate in both poses, because it's never felt "right" to me to have my heels come off the floor in either one.

Nick
Posted 2007-05-06 8:01 AM (#85337 - in reply to #85334)

I've taken class with a teacher who encourages us to engage the quads so much that the heels do lift off the floor. No, maybe it wasn't in dandasana but in upavistha konasana. It was more her instruction that the back of the knees touch the floor while the sit bones maintained contact, but yes, she did specifically say heels off the floor. I would think that action is inappropriate in both poses, because it's never felt "right" to me to have my heels come off the floor in either one.

Hi Om,
I agree with you. That instruction might also cause sacro-iliac and low back problems as the pelvis becomes a fixed point, causing less mobility in the hips and too much in the SI and lumbar.
Nick
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)