YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Obnoxious students
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-01 1:14 AM (#84727 - in reply to #84555)
Subject: RE: Obnoxious students

I think people have been brainwashed when it comes to eating 'healthy'. If you have to take supplements just to digest your food and be healthy then you aren't eating properly.
Protein types do well with veggies/saturated fats/animal proteins. Carb types like myself do terrible with those kinds of foods. Some people are lucky and they do well with a very mixed diet.

It's funny. When I've told people that I changed my diet and all my little health issues disappeared they still want me to take their supplement or colonic or whatever. It makes no sense. Why would I go through all that trouble when I don't have any problems anymore. One friend of mine is still trying to convince me that if I do her liver flush I will be able to eat red meat. I don't even like red meat .

Edited by shalamOM 2007-05-01 1:15 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-05-01 2:06 AM (#84729 - in reply to #84555)

That last bit is quite funny. And I must apologize for the lack of proper spelling in my last post here.

I think your first paragraph holds a basic truth but also a basic assumption. And that assumption is that the food supply is not tainted, spoiled, or poisoned. It's a freakishly frightening topic and I don't want to dive into it head first. Of course if one is well, then one is well. But the "reason", if you will, for supplementation in the context of a modern diet is the availability of high quality food. There is a great deal of concern over just how "quality" our quality is.

Here's some interesting stuff

http://www.cropchoice.com/leadstry5abd.html?recid=2599
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_4778.cfm
http://www.foxbghsuit.com/
http://www.organicconsumers.org/rbgh/monsanto_maine.cfm
http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Monsanto-Roundup-Glyphosate.htm

There's so much of it I can't track it all down.
In fact, I have been told there here in the U.S. there are only three organic food manufacturers that have not sold out to larger conglomerates. I'm not talking about agro-business but companies like Amy's, Nature Valley, etcetera. Probably owned by Nabisco by now.

A good reason for supplements? I don't know. Maybe.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-05-01 2:08 AM
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-01 9:15 AM (#84734 - in reply to #84555)

Expert Yogi

Uhhhhh someone just brought another issue to my attention. I would not even know how to approach either issue.
And I'm not posting here the other possibility
shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-01 11:38 AM (#84745 - in reply to #84729)

purnayoga - 2007-05-01 2:06 AM

I think your first paragraph holds a basic truth but also a basic assumption. And that assumption is that the food supply is not tainted, spoiled, or poisoned.

The reason why I didn't bring that up is because I believe too much emphasis is put on removing additives, eating organic, and taking supplements. Without question some supplements could be beneficial and certain frankenfoods like corn syrup and hydrogenated fats should be avoided. I just think that people really believe that finding that perfectly pure diet will lead to great health, but it won't if basic intolerances and diet type were never addressed in the first place.

I've formed these opinions after years of having acne and becoming obsessed with finding a natural cure. I went that route, eating only the purist garden grown foods thinking that 'toxins' were causing my acne. I sometimes go back to the acne forum I used to post on. Those people are obsessed with supplements and pure foods and they still have acne. They gulp down their raw foods and green drinks and they still haven't completely cleared their skin. It actually makes me sad and frustrated to think about it.

For example, if a person is just not meant to eat much animal protein like myself, no supplement or perfectly pure cut of meat is going to be good for them. If a person has a basic milk allergy/intolerance it won't matter if they drink raw milk straight from the cow. They will still react badly to it. If a person is a protein type then eating organic low GI whole grain bread is useless. They just need less starch/sugar and more veggies/proteins.

Edited by shalamOM 2007-05-01 11:41 AM
yogabrian
Posted 2007-05-01 11:50 AM (#84746 - in reply to #84555)

Shalamom,

I should have added that I also recommend reading Paul Cheks book "How to eat move and be healthy"

In he talks about eating to your metabolic type (protien, mixed or carb) and how to find what type you are. Eating correctly to your metabolic type will also do wonders for the digestion and metabolic rate.
mishoga
Posted 2007-05-01 12:02 PM (#84747 - in reply to #84745)

Expert Yogi

shalamOM - 2007-05-01 11:38 AM
If a person has a basic milk allergy/intolerance it won't matter if they drink raw milk straight from the cow. They will still react badly to it.

Yup!!!! that's me.....all my life!!!
tourist
Posted 2007-05-01 7:32 PM (#84806 - in reply to #84747)

Expert Yogi

shalamom - I agree with you to a large extent. I take a few basic supplements but only because my diet is highly restricted due to stomach problems. I have thought about adding probiotics (and when did that word appear anyway? They used to be called "friendly bacteria.") but I do eat some great yogurt with active, healthy cultures almost daily, so I probably won't. But essentially, we are each an experiment of one and we have to find out what works for us. For example, I would generally agree with you that if you are lactose intolerant, it won't matter what form of milk you drink. Zoebird will tell you that as long as she has raw, unpasteurized milk, she can drink milk - go figure! Humans can survive on all kinds of terrible stuff. Just look at us now with all the junk we pretend is food - more humans on the planet than we need, for sure.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)